Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Clarkson Scandal.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I think this thread only really proves what a popular channel Dave is!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Well, the Mexicans took his stereotyping of their entire nation as lazy, as a slur (though obviously that's a nationality, rather than a race), and Asian groups were pretty upset by his reference to a Burmese man as a 'slope' in the recent special.

He made 'a slope' reference and somehow got away with the BS excuse that while he knew it was funny he didn't realise it was racist. Lots of his previous comments have sailed pretty close to the wind on the racism front and would probably see people sacked or disciplined if done in a workplace.

Well, there was another incident on a Top Gear special where they built a bridge over a river. As Clarkson regarded the finished bridge, a bloke of Asian extraction was standing on it, to which Clarkson remarked "there's a slope on it". Led to a few complaints apparently, and an apology from the producer who claimed they weren't aware "slope" was a derogatory term.

I will happily stand corrected - not heard about him stereotyping mexicans and so cant comment wjether it crossed a line to be considered racist.
As I am somewhat older than Clarkson and dont watch top gear I also have to admit that what I would have considered one of his typical nasty insults is apparently something more...... I shall have to add "slope" to my lexicon of casual innuendo (once I can find out what it apparently means :lolol: )

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
did i thank you?, you lack the intellectual honesty to hold any kind of debate

This was my comment, the one you got deleted

point out the part of my comment where i out myself as a racist.

you lack honesty and integrity as a man. you come across as both arrogant and hypocritical. i very much doubt that if and most likely when we meet in person you will be as arrogant to me in person.
Pretty much nails it, the bloke's a bellend.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Oh look, another thread with a mod picking on someone!

Dam that Jeremy Clarkson!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Like i said initially, i thought the inquisitions were over. i doubt you know about the inquisitions

Get over yourself. Have you been tortuted now? Am I persecuting you?

what the hell are you talking about, i worked with various ethnics.

No, you worked with PEOPLE of various ethnicicities, not 'ethnics'. (Thus I commented on your choice of WORDS)

your opinion doesnt matter to me

You're going to quite some trouble to show that, aren't you?

im too much of a man to be affected by your femininity

Haha.

In my line of work, you either fit in to the team or you are a hazard. a danger to the team

I'm sure. And it was the kind of work that I was assuming you referred to, anyway. Which is why I went to the trouble of agreeing that such a situation WAS acceptable, in SOME circumstances, IF all concerned were comfortable with it.

that is such a silly comment to make considering you would have to be wearing a nazi uniform to want to put a charge on the man for making an in context one liner, he broke no law

I've not suggested Clarkson broke any law. I was merely correcting your assertion that he was at liberty to "say whatever he likes, as long as he's joking"

the jokewasnt racist but it wasnt funny either,

This is the crux of it, and why we can never, ever agree. The entire basis of the joke is that a black man is someone inferior and that to live next door to him would be an inherently bad thing. The single thing we know about the man in the joke is his race. Nothing else at all. It is all we have to judge him by - and the joke is that we should judge him badly. You cannot possibly NOT see that the premise is racist.

i didnt post it

Yes, I know, and have made a point above, of pointing that out. You're welcome.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Like a few on this board, I am of a similar age to Clarkson. I know the original nursery rhyme, but I am also blessed with enough common sense to realise that what was questionably maybe OK 40 years ago is definitely not ok now. It`s really not that complicated, the world has moved on. I like Clarkson`s general clowning around, but I don`t like this. And he does have previous, as noted by others.

Top Gear needs a bit of shaking up anyway. Perhaps the time has come for some new blood.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I am right in thinking that the scandal is:
TV presenter does several takes of a scene.
They decide some may be offensive and so choose to air a non-offensive one.

I am getting this right?

I think it's more about thinking it's alright to use a deeply racially offensive term, truthfully.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh look, another thread with a mod picking on someone!

Dam that Jeremy Clarkson!

Er, no. Its a thread where a couple of posters are debating a difference of opinion. That one of us happens to be a moderator is relevant in this thread in no way.

(except that it was I that deleted the offensive joke, of course)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think it's more about thinking it's alright to use a deeply racially offensive term, truthfully.

But it's a word in the context of a poem. A poem used as a generic way of picking something.

The joke is that he is mumbling out the racist part of the rhyme so he's not even "thinking it's alright" to use the term. In fact it's the exact opposite.

AND even after that, he then still asks BBC to not use it just to make sure he doesnt offend.

It's only when someone, who clearly wants to stitch him up, digs this up that any sort of offence is caused.

It's a complete MEH from this onlooker.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Was "Charlie" mentioned on their trip to Vietnam? Maybe someone is going through the bits on the cutting room floor as I write.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A shame they wont get dealt with though. I assume the Mods all know each other?

Is nutjob a normal word in reference to mental illness?

Power corrupts. Mods are never wrong.

Irish_Seagull

Mar 25, 2014
Get over yourself. Have you been tortuted now? Am I persecuting you?
this is the internet...

No, you worked with PEOPLE of various ethnicicities, not 'ethnics'. (Thus I commented on your choice of WORDS)
i worked with various ethnics.

You're going to quite some trouble to show that, aren't you?
lol ok

I'm sure. And it was the kind of work that I was assuming you referred to, anyway. Which is why I went to the trouble of agreeing that such a situation WAS acceptable, in SOME circumstances, IF all concerned were comfortable with it.
you were nitpicking supporting the large @@~ pointless arguments are just that. as a moderator you are meant to moderate not instigate petty pathetic internet arguments. if the LARGE ONE wants to label, and argue with people on the internet that's fine, but you need to moderate him and his personal attacks. its down to a level of maturity.

This is the crux of it, and why we can never, ever agree. The entire basis of the joke is that a black man is someone inferior and that to live next door to him would be an inherently bad thing. The single thing we know about the man in the joke is his race. Nothing else at all. It is all we have to judge him by - and the joke is that we should judge him badly. You cannot possibly NOT see that the premise is racist.
i am not discussing a joke, your friend
everybody that doesnt agree with me is racist or homophobic
and her child like ad hominem attacks.

anyway lets move on..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here