Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jens Scheuer women's team head coach leaves by mutual consent

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Andreé Jeglertz (Swedish coach who has won a bunch of titles here) and Amy Merricks (assistant manager, current interim) were the two main challengers for the job when Scheuer was appointed. Wonder if one of them will get the job now?

Main issue though is probably that the squad is a little shite.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Blimey, he'd only been here a couple of months!

Thoughts @zeetha ? ( I look to you as our resident expert on the women's team)
Not sure I'm an expert! :LOL: Results haven't been good since he took over (apart from the cup run but those have been 'easier' games compared to the WSL so far), but I'm still surprised by this. He has been publically critical of the team which did make me wonder about how he was behind the scenes with the team. He also dropped Walsh which surprised me as she is our best goalie, and other players like Williams seemed out of favour. It can't have been easier taking over a team low on confidence and in transition so maybe he was just switching things around to try and change that, but seems like he just had the wrong style for the team.

Merricks has been around the team a long time and knows them well. Her first two matches in charge are basically free hits and nothing much should be read into them if we lose as they are against Chelsea and Man City, so will be interesting to see how she organises them and whether she is given the task of keeping us up of they bring someone else in.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
If he did nothing else of note, dropping Walsh earned my respect immediately. The standard of goalkeeping generally is very poor in the WSL and to be fair to her, she is capable of making the odd save if it's close enough to her - but her general goalkeeping was stunningly bad. The Reading game at the Amex was painful to watch, her totally missing a ball and then the Reading player missing the open goal was the type of comedy moment which should have gone viral but luckily for all concerned, nobody cared enough to capture and share it. Then, after the game, they did a montage of reasonable moments she had in the game and pretended the stupid gaffe at 0-0 hadn't happened. It was all too common a story for her. I have no idea if the Aussie is better (although being Aussie and a goalkeeper at the same time does worry me!) but at the very least it's good to have proper competition for an obvious weak link who was just left to undermine the team as if the position doesn't matter.

I was also a fan of dropping Williams, I thought the team needed a real shake up and there were a few who were far too comfortable knowing they'd play every game despite their performances/ability.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Easy to get the impression that the womens team have issues higher up in the organisation. Recruitment seems very poor.
There clearly isn't the financial investment that the "top 4" (and Liverpool & Villa) have in order to pay transfer fees and the high wages that the top women players (quite rightly) now command.

We either have to implement the same "recruit - develop - sell" policy of the mens team or Mr Chairman will have to dig deep and splash the cash if we are to dream of being competetive in the WSL. If we do neither, I fear the Championship beckons and I'm not convinced that it will be a gimme that we can get straight back into the WSL.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
There clearly isn't the financial investment that the "top 4" (and Liverpool & Villa) have in order to pay transfer fees and the high wages that the top women players (quite rightly) now command.

We either have to implement the same "recruit - develop - sell" policy of the mens team or Mr Chairman will have to dig deep and splash the cash if we are to dream of being competetive in the WSL. If we do neither, I fear the Championship beckons and I'm not convinced that it will be a gimme that we can get straight back into the WSL.
Its the bottom of league that is the problem. Leicester had not got a point until they beat us

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

'Brighton were too easy to beat' - analysis​

By Emma Sanders, BBC Sport

Scheuer's departure comes after little more than two months at the club but it is perhaps not surprising.

Since his arrival, performances have been poor and Brighton, known for their organisation under former boss Hope Powell, are now firmly in a relegation battle.

The German wanted to bring intense, high-pressing football to Brighton but it has not worked out and the club are not in a position to allow time for ideas to develop.

Brighton need to pick up points and they had become far too easy to beat under Scheuer's guidance.

It is understood members of the squad were not convinced by his methods, still not buying into his ideas and this was reflected in their inconsistent displays in 2023.

Interim manager Merricks is well liked within the club and has proven herself an experienced and steady stand-in. She could be a safe pair of hands to try to lead Brighton out of relegation danger.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64869202

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
The Telegraph talks about his style and the way he spoke to staff and players was a major factor on the decision for him to “ leave by mutual consent “

Assuming they had this guy in their sights when they decided to part company with Hope, this appears to be a spectacularly unfortunate part of succession planning. Quite unlike Albion.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Telegraph talks about his style and the way he spoke to staff and players was a major factor on the decision for him to “ leave by mutual consent “

Assuming they had this guy in their sights when they decided to part company with Hope, this appears to be a spectacularly unfortunate part of succession planning. Quite unlike Albion.
Quite.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

But that can happen, you never know how someone is going to work out having hired them. You can do all the due diligence in the world but how they actually interact with people is a bit of an unknown. Maybe in Germany his methods and style wasn't off-putting to anyone but the same behaviour here might not be as accepted or acceptable. Any hire or signing is a gamble and there's not much you can do about someone's character, you can mitigate the risk but doing your homework and having a clear sense of who someone is but you can never be 100% how they're going to interact with your team of people.

It also reinforces just how well the club have managed bringing in managers for the male team over the last three appointments and then the majority of hires for internal roles as well. Assembling a good and effective team is a minor miracle in some ways.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But that can happen, you never know how someone is going to work out having hired them. You can do all the due diligence in the world but how they actually interact with people is a bit of an unknown. Maybe in Germany his methods and style wasn't off-putting to anyone but the same behaviour here might not be as accepted or acceptable. Any hire or signing is a gamble and there's not much you can do about someone's character, you can mitigate the risk but doing your homework and having a clear sense of who someone is but you can never be 100% how they're going to interact with your team of people.

It also reinforces just how well the club have managed bringing in managers for the male team over the last three appointments and then the majority of hires for internal roles as well. Assembling a good and effective team is a minor miracle in some ways.
Absolutely this - makes me laugh when people criticise when hiring (including players) doesn't work out. No-one who hires numbers of people gets it right all the time, however good your research, screening and interview/assessment processes are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here