Jazz music

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
jazz2.jpg

Dinah Washington/Sarah Vaughan/Billie Holiday
Diana Krall
]

Pretty familiar with the above as my wife is a massive fan of all of them. I have to confess to having been beaten into liking quite a bit of their music especially Diana Krall

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Courtney Pine - Journey to the urge within
51CU8s7WbNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bireli Lagrene - Standards
51SVV-slCTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
[yt]ApI-zA6suXE[/yt]

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I too like a bit if jazz but cant claim to be a connoiseur. I quite like the album Straight, no chaser by Thelonious Monk. Worth a try.

Lord B - I'm afraid I'm struggling with your cousin's music...
Try this one, then ...

[yt]JfF3YelIaTs[/yt]

He could have been big, if he hadn't turned down the offer to sign up with Richard Branson, on the grounds that Branson was just a penniless student living on a narrowboat and selling secondhand records in Notting Hill. Apart from his time with Back Door, cousin Ron basically made his living as a backing musician, working with anyone who'd pay him ... ranging from Miles Davis, through Roger Daltrey, Status Quo and down to Baywatch and The Simpsons.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If I were to pick one of my favourite pieces that might well introduce you to a truly wonderful genre without scaring you off... it would probably be this :

[yt]bKowToLRZ2E[/yt]

The list of great Jazz pieces is endless, but I'll just offer up this as well for now. The first is Art Blakey's original, the other two are covers from two of the finest 'Nu Jazz' outfits around. I'll let you decide which one you prefer. :)

[yt]ccj6O2UeNfQ[/yt]
[yt]tbbu-PSkLC4[/yt]
[yt]2Tg8GsZmGvc[/yt]

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Others to seek out if you want mellow, chilled jazz:
Wes Montgomery (guitar to die for)
King Pleasure (cool scat vocals)
The Jungle Book soundtrack (really!)
If you want a bit more bounce to it, a bit of Louis Jordan goes down well and even, at a push, Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive ...
:rave:

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
This got me in to Jazz:

Thelonius Monk: Blue Monk
[yt]SmhP1RgbrrY[/yt]

This is also one of Miles Davis' finest albums IMHO: Tribute to Jack Johnson

[yt]DEBKksupBVA[/yt]

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A different take is jazz-rock which encompasses Weather Report, Gong, Brand X etc. as well as the daddies of the genre the mighty Soft Machine - can get a bit twiddly diddly but Soft Machine Third is a magnificent record...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here