Votes: 107 88.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 11.6%

• Total voters

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Indeed. We need players who could have potentially gotten more starts for Real.

His near 2 goals in 3 ratio for Leverkusen is also quite questionable.

The only thing questionable there is how you've managed to turn 28 goals in 54 games, into a near goal ration of 2 goals in every 3?

I think you need to realise, we're not signing him and he's not Luis Suarez.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The only thing questionable there is how you've managed to turn 28 goals in 54 games into a near goal ration of 2 goals in every 3?

I think you need to realise we're not signing him and he's not Luis Suarez.

Probably because you're looking at wikipedia that doesn't include cup games.

Don't think i've disputed either of the subsequent statements either so i'm not sure who you're arguing with there. I just called you out on talking shit.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Probably because you're looking at wikipedia that doesn't include cup games.

Don't think i've disputed either of the subsequent statements either so i'm not sure who you're arguing with there. I just called you out on talking shit.

Where have I spoken shit Mr Mathematician?

Care to elaborate?

No offence, but why are you getting so emotionally attached to any criticism towards Hernandez? A bit weird considering this thread is probably the only thing on earth which can possibly link the Albion with him. Do you often get like this with totally random, average, foreign footballers playing in the German league?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Where have I spoken shit Mr Mathematician?

Care to elaborate?

No offence, but why are you getting so emotionally attached to any criticism towards Hernandez? A bit weird considering this thread is probably the only thing on earth which can possibly link the Albion with him. Do you often get like this with totally random, average, foreign footballers playing in the German league?

You suggested that he is overrated and not a good fit because he has not held down a place at 'any of the european teams he's played for'. Which are Man Utd (still within their era of dominance), Real Madrid and Leverkusen (where he has held a place aside from a lengthly injury).

If that isn't talking shit I don't know what is. Perhaps that was a little harsh but it's just madness. I've never suggested he's world class or that we'd have a chance at signing him. I would however question whether, as you say, there are better strikers we could conceivably sign... because I think he'd score a hatful for us.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
You suggested that he is overrated and not a good fit because he has not held down a place at 'any of the european teams he's played for'. Which are Man Utd (still within their era of dominance), Real Madrid and Leverkusen (where he has held a place aside from a lengthly injury).

If that isn't talking shit I don't know what is. Perhaps that was a little harsh but it's just madness. I've never suggested he's world class or that we'd have a chance at signing him. I would however question whether, as you say, there are better strikers we could conceivably sign... because I think he'd score a hatful for us.

If he was so good, why are Bayern Leverkusen willing to sell him for the same price Southampton payed for Shane Long?

You obviously know more about him than Leverkusen do.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If he was so good, why are Bayern Leverkusen willing to sell him for the same price Southampton payed for Shane Long?

You obviously know more about him than Leverkusen do.

Firstly the club aren't 'willing' because the 13M is a release clause... but off the top of my head:

Player wants a move, no CL football, club wants to offload the wages, leverkusen also like to bring their youngsters through and he is 29, so could be something to do with that. There are many reasons other than the reason I assume you are alluding to - that he is not very good.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Firstly the club aren't 'willing' because the 13M is a release clause... but off the top of my head:

Player wants a move, no CL football, club wants to offload the wages, leverkusen also like to bring their youngsters through and he is 29, so could be something to do with that. There are many reasons other than the reason I assume you are alluding to - that he is not very good.

Isn't it West Ham who are favourites to sign him?

Must be a top quality player....

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
You preface it with "if the wages weren't astronomical, would you sign him?"......... well every club would say yes to that. If going to ask a sensible question it needs to be would you spunk our entire budget on paying him over 100K a week plus massive bonuses and signing fee, plus the transfer budget to improve multiple positions just on him, and in the process piss off the entire rest of the team and cause a split in the changing room and infest the team with resentment?

No from me.

But yes if he wanted like 40k a week sure we could compete with 200 clubs worldwide who'd pay him that and start him and half of whom play in Europe each year and a bunch more in their own continental equivalent.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You preface it with "if the wages weren't astronomical, would you sign him?"......... well every club would say yes to that. If going to ask a sensible question it needs to be would you spunk our entire budget on paying him over 100K a week plus massive bonuses and signing fee, plus the transfer budget to improve multiple positions just on him, and in the process piss off the entire rest of the team and cause a split in the changing room and infest the team with resentment?

No from me.

But yes if he wanted like 40k a week sure we could compete with 200 clubs worldwide who'd pay him that and start him and half of whom play in Europe each year and a bunch more in their own continental equivalent.

Unrealistic yes.

However, 13M is certainly not our entire budget and it would not be bumped up because it's a release clause. He is on 70k a week at Leverkusen, which is not too far out the realms of possibility that we may need to pay a proven goalscorer at this level. Also i'm not sure anybody in our squad would have qualms over a veteran goalscorer earning more than them.

I'm curious as to what market you think we're in? While Hernandez is undoubtedly unrealistic, we recently lost out on a 19-yo completed untested and unproven kid who we would have paid 50k a week in addition to a 'sweetener' for his family.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why don't we stop looking at everyone else's expensive cast offs and look for original talent - which is what I would imagine the club are doing!

I think you are bang on.

I would be shocked if we sign any established Premier League (former or current) players who have been on £50k+.

Striker wise - I expect a 'Hemed' style signing that no one has touted now that Tammy has gone Welsh. Almost certainly from abroad.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
For allegedly 120-140k a week. I think I was a little wayward in my estimation of what he might expect wages wise!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Going to West Ham.

Lot of activity there today. Joe Harts joined them on loan today (with a 4.5m loan fee) and Arnautovic is also joining for 24m deal. Gold isn't afraid to flash the cash.

Might be worth keeping an eye on whether Diafra Sakho becomes available.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Said 80k p/w and a 13M release clause on ESPN :shrug:

Sky and Talksport said it was in the order of £120k. Lots of paper talk that he was demanding £140k at the beginning of the month. Very much doubt he would drop his demands by £60k. Either way, even at £80k definitely out of our wage structure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here