Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele is not giving up his spot easily

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There was quite a bit of talk, upon the signing of Bart Verbruggen, about how we wouldn't spend that money on a keeper to just give him the odd Cup game, and that he'd be first choice between the sticks when the Premier League season kicks off.

I think Jason Steele has other ideas about that - it was a great performance from him last night both with his feet, which we've become accustomed to, but also in keeping Albion's clean sheet.

I'd be surprised if he isn't starting against Luton in a couple of weeks' time.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
There was quite a bit of talk, upon the signing of Bart Verbruggen, about how we wouldn't spend that money to have him get the odd Cup game, and how he'd be first choice between the sticks when the Premier League season kicked off.

I think Jason Steele has other ideas about that - it was a great performance from him last night both with his feet, which we've become accustomed to, but also in keeping Albion's clean sheet.

I'd be surprised if he isn't starting against Luton in a couple of weeks time.
So would I. I think he's still a bit under rated, he's actually a really good keeper and has the perfect skill set and mentality for this team. So pleased for him.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agreed. I was toying with the idea of Bart in my fantasy team but not anymore. Steele's shirt to lose for the time being.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Given the armband when Gross went off. Yes, he gave the ball away a bit but not as much as Webster who will struggle for game time this season on that showing.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
Had quite nervous start to the game but finished it very strong.

Pretty sure Verbruggen gets his 90 minutes against Newcastle though, so I don't think it is decided yet. But Steele is currently absolutely on the pole position.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Didn’t see last night but even with the money spent I’d expect Bart to have to earn the gloves, so pretty sure JS will be our initial first choice. Only fair on Jason to do it that way, and it creates a culture within the dressing room of having to earn your spot rather than it being based on a price tag or reputation from previous clubs.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not giving up his shirt easily? I don't think he's giving it up at all.

The young fella will have to be patient

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I only saw the second half and I’d give him MOTM for it for his saves. His passing out was well below his usual standards on a few occasions..straight to a Brentford player.
Personally thought that was down to the lack of movement from our younger inexperienced players. When Caciedo and Dahoud came on
Everything got back to normal fairly quickly.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've been impressed with Steele and Bart is obviously highly thought of but it is nice to know he will only get game time when he is ready to take the number 1 spot which Steele is setting a very high bar for.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Steele is not good enough to be our first choice keeper.

He is however a phenomenal back up keeper. Great attitude, good on the ball, clearly really important in the dressing room.

But technically, he is not a top level shot stopper. He will surely get a run of games, but he will not end the season as our number 1.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Steele is not good enough to be our first choice keeper.

He is however a phenomenal back up keeper. Great attitude, good on the ball, clearly really important in the dressing room.

But technically, he is not a top level shot stopper. He will surely get a run of games, but he will not end the season as our number 1.
That's where I am as well, I think Verbruggen will end the season as first choice but Steele is a very able deputy who deserves to play Premier League football based on how hard he's worked to rebuild his career after the Sunderland disaster.

NorthStandSeagull

Apr 20, 2013
Hove
Competition for places is exactly what’s needed across all the positions. Brings either the best or worst out of people and then deal with that accordingly

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We have (I think) potentially up to 25 cup games across the 3 competitions, so even if Steele starts in the PL, there'll be plenty for Verbruggen to do!
This. We're basically going to have two first teams next season and we'll need them. Fair play to TB for funding this (if we don't RINSE someone for Caicedo).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He was lucky early on, we were shambolic at the back and could've been 2 down very quickly. Definitely grew into the game though and will take some shifting. Bart is only 20, so I'm not expecting him to be thrown in too quickly.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Steele's shirt to lose as it stands IMO

I thought Sanchez was unlucky to lose it though, so RDZ is happy to change it with doing not much wrong if it improves us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here