Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Japan

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Anyone been? whats it like?

Thinking of honeymoon destinations in June.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Living in Japan at the moment. Have been here for 18months now, planning to return in september. I have had a great time and will miss it when i leave.
Its so different too, some parts are all built up like tokyo with the lights, the train, the noise etc. Other parts are quiet with amazingly beautiful scenery, mountains and tropical beaches.
Its a very diverse country, you'll have a great time.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Is it ok to travel there in June. do they have such things as monsoon season etc?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Uncle Buck said:
Mental.

Spent 4 weeks there in 2002 for a little football tournament.

Can be expensive, but half the fun was working through the happy hours and finding the all you can drink cons.

Fantastic place. I loved it.

One of the funniest moments I've ever experienced was being in a chemist with Uncle Buck as he'd run out of Imodium.

Nothing funny about that I hear you cry (especially as I was rooming with him at the time) but seeing someone trying to explain Imodium using the international sign language was f***ing hilarious!!!

Go definitely, but don't just stay in Tokyo.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
caz99 said:
Is it ok to travel there in June. do they have such things as monsoon season etc?
I went there in May / June 1990 and the weather was fine. I really enjoyed it. You can go anywhere in complete safety at any time of night and the people are great.

I don't know how much things have changed in the last few years but when I was there, it was not that easy to find your way around once you're outside Tokyo, although the people are always happy to try to help.

Biggest regret: not climbing Mt Fuji.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
we are just thinking of doing a short tour of Kyoto and Tokyo, Mt Fiji then going on for a week on the beach someone in thailand or malaysia.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
caz99 said:

I live in Japan and I love it. However, June is rainy season my love....don't do it!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Arthur said:
Fantastic place. I loved it.

One of the funniest moments I've ever experienced was being in a chemist with Uncle Buck as he'd run out of Imodium.

Nothing funny about that I hear you cry (especially as I was rooming with him at the time) but seeing someone trying to explain Imodium using the international sign language was f***ing hilarious!!!

Go definitely, but don't just stay in Tokyo.

Ah that was in Sappora I believe?

That bar in Tokyo that was about £25 to get in and you could drink all you wanted was good, not sure he had ever had Westerners in there.

That bar in Amouri, I think she probably retired after 3 nights of us and the West Ham lads drinking in there. She kept running out of beer.

Also, massagey, massagey....

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
caz99 said:
we are just thinking of doing a short tour of Kyoto and Tokyo, Mt Fiji then going on for a week on the beach someone in thailand or malaysia.

Kyoto is superb, but you should really go to Hiroshima as well, just worth seeing the Peace Museum.

I broke my toe on the mini bar in Tokyo, so whilst the others were sight seeing I managed to hobble to the Hub.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It depends what you want to do and where you want to go in Japan.

Do you want to experience 'historical' Japan? Do you want to hang out in a mega-tropolis like Tokyo? Do you want to see the countryside(which is gorgeous, btw)?

Japan is really expensive, so if you do come be prepared to spend a lot of money. If you are willing to spend that money then I reccomend coming over for as long as you can-two weeks or more!

If you were to come for two weeks, I would suggest that you buy a Japan Rail pass. This allows you to use all the national train lines, so you can go from the northern most tip of Hokkaido to the southern most tip of Kyushu, and all points inbetween, on the same ticket. I would reccomend that you choose one of the major cities-Tokyo or Osaka as your base of operations. Personally I'd go for Tokyo, but then I'm a little biased. Stay there for a few days just exploring the city and the surrounding area. Then use the rail pass for a week and get around to as many places as you can.

edit: also, June is really, really humid. If you can wait, it'd be much better to come over in Autumn.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Uncle Buck said:

That bar in Amouri, I think she probably retired after 3 nights of us and the West Ham lads drinking in there. She kept running out of beer.

This one

DCP00739.JPG

DCP00740.JPG

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
You might want to keep out of the sea at the moment though!

story.hugejellyfish.jpg

TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- A slimy jellyfish weighing as much as a sumo wrestler has Japan's fishing industry in the grip of its poisonous tentacles.

Vast numbers of Echizen kurage, or Nomura's jellyfish, have appeared around Japan's coast since July, clogging and ripping fishing nets and forcing fishermen to spend hours hacking them apart before bringing home their reduced catches.

Representatives of fishing communities around the country gathered in Tokyo on Thursday, hoping to thrash out solutions to a pest that has spread from the Japan Sea to the Pacific coast.

"It's a terrible problem. They're like aliens," Noriyuki Kani of the fisheries federation in Toyama, northwest of Tokyo, told Reuters ahead of the conference.

There are no official figures on the size of the problem, but Kani says the financial losses are obvious.

"If your nets are full of jellyfish, of course there is no space for fish," he said.

Cutting up and disposing of the giants can turn a three-hour fishing trip into a 10-hour marathon, while valuable fish are poisoned or crushed under the weight of the unwanted catch.

And what a catch. One Echizen kurage can be up to 2 meters (6 feet, 7 inches) in diameter and weigh up to 200 kilograms (440 pounds).

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Uncle Buck said:
That is the one.

Was it Kev that ended up doing the Japanese love song on Karoke? All the locals looking on in disgust and the rest of us thinking that it was the funniest thing ever...

Yep it was.

Remember this one as well??

DCP00745.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here