Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Japan Airlines plane on fire at Tokyo airport

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
  • A Japan Airlines plane is engulfed in flames after landing on a runway at Tokyo's Haneda airport on Tuesday evening
  • Live footage showed flames coming out of the windows of the aircraft and beneath it
  • Passengers were seen fleeing the plane and broadcaster NHK is reporting that all 367 passengers managed to escape
  • There are reports a Japanese coast guard plane collided with the passenger aircraft
  • The plane had taken off from Hokkaido, in northern Japan

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A few moments ago, we reported that officials thought the plane on fire on Tokyo's runway could have collided with a Japanese coastguard plane.

Now, Japanese broadcasters TBS and NHK say one person onboard the coastguard plane escaped, while the other five remain unaccounted for.

We'll bring you more on this as soon as we get it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Looking at pictures earlier, before it was engulfed in flames, the engine is touching the ground. It may be that the front wheels collapsed.
Video on BBC news showing plane landing. It suddenly bursts into flames and leaves behind it something engulfed in flames. Presume that fire is the second plane. Great job all round getting 379 off the plane.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you're a stats man that's exactly what you want to see an hour before boarding a flight !
Given they're independent events, it makes no difference to the probablity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Given they're independent events, it makes no difference to the probablity.
On my first day back in 1997 working for the Safety Regulation Group department of the UK CAA we were given a presentation about air safety.

I can't remember the exact figures, but at the time, it was something like one death per 100 million miles flown.

But yes, your comment is important, who would have thought TWO aircraft would have crashed into the World Trade Centres on the SAME DAY !!
Must bear in mind, it had never happened before and has not happened again since, so a very LOW probability of happening again.

Part of that CAA presentation also touched on PanAm 103 [Lockerbie] and mentioned that almost everyone died by hypoxia [they fell asleep within seconds and felt no pain]. Granted, a fire in the cabin, even while on the ground, could be quite different, but still VERY RARE.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Flawless evacuation. Can't help but feel that this accident occurring in Japan (and assuming mostly Japanese passengers) was a contributory factor. It made me think that, elsewhere, I'd hazard a guess that plenty of passengers would be trying to get to their hand luggage before evacuation... So, a bit of luck it happened there (not for the unfortunate souls in the other plane of course).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On my first day back in 1997 working for the Safety Regulation Group department of the UK CAA we were given a presentation about air safety.

I can't remember the exact figures, but at the time, it was something like one death per 100 million miles flown.

But yes, your comment is important, who would have thought TWO aircraft would have crashed into the World Trade Centres on the SAME DAY !!
Must bear in mind, it had never happened before and has not happened again since, so a very LOW probability of happening again.

Part of that CAA presentation also touched on PanAm 103 [Lockerbie] and mentioned that almost everyone died by hypoxia [they fell asleep within seconds and felt no pain]. Granted, a fire in the cabin, even while on the ground, could be quite different, but still VERY RARE.
This incident looks like either pilot error (not obeying ATC) or ATC error (giving final clearance when the runway wasn’t clear). Be interesting to know what the figures are for this versus an issue with planes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems like the Coastguard flight didn’t follow the ATC and strayed onto the runway judging by the control tower transcripts.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A very detailed analysis of the accident and likely cause. The video is in two sections...the transcript of radio calls, and so the likely cause, are analysed in this second part. I'd recommend watching all of it if interested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here