Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January window

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bloom has always been clear he does not like doing business in January. However who has come in this window in last few years

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Ulloa

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Knockaert, Mac Alister & Caciedo I think, Buonanotte, Kayal. There are certainly others, but some not too shabby players there.
South America is a good market to hit in January as their seasons don’t tend to cross a calendar year. There is value to be had but the deals obviously come with very complex negotiations.

I’d suggest that it’s not just an Arginger full back we’re sniffing around. Perhaps another South American fullback, defensive midfielder or a winger is being sniffed through too. I’d really fancy us getting our hands on a Brazilian, directly from Brazil…..I don’t think we’ve done that before but Watford have shown it can be very lucrative.

Last edited:

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I think we will sign 2/3 players. Based on opinion only and my opinion is influenced by:
* Europa last 16; still in the hunt for a European slot in the Prem; Uncle Tony’s ambitions for us in a domestic cup.
* Too many long term injuries and these seem clustered around certain positions, exacerbated by losing players to Asia Cup/Afcon.
* A desire to partially appease RDZ. Uncle Tony never plays to the gallery but I think he knows the value of our manager.
* It’s Christmas Day and I’d like to open a Barco/Roony/Iling Junior/Summerville/AN Other sized present in a week or so.

Anyway, it’s Christmas morning and I’m on NSC, enjoying the calm before the inevitable storm…

Happy Christmas, Seagull Family!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think we will sign 2/3 players. Based on opinion only and my opinion is influenced by:
* Europa last 16; still in the hunt for a European slot in the Prem; Uncle Tony’s ambitions for us in a domestic cup.
* Too many long term injuries and these seem clustered around certain positions, exacerbated by losing players to Asia Cup/Afcon.
* A desire to partially appease RDZ. Uncle Tony never plays to the gallery but I think he knows the value of our manager.
* It’s Christmas Day and I’d like to open a Barco/Roony/Iling Junior/Summerville/AN Other sized present in a week or so.

Anyway, it’s Christmas morning and I’m on NSC, enjoying the calm before the inevitable storm…

Happy Christmas, Seagull Family!
Top post

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
For me the non January business thing is a bit of a myth, we buy players every window. Last season we didn't need much at that time and Buonanotte was one for the future.

This season is different. We have long term injuries, Afcon/Asia Cup plus last 16 of the Europa league. Doing nothing is almost inconceivable and downright silly, especially with the recent transfer surplus.

I think we'll sign two or three, a full back and two wide players.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
January tends to be more for those panic buys when you realise the stuff you bought for the run up to Christmas isn't all it was cracked up to be, and for clubs trying to off load their also-rans which they panic bought this time last year.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
January tends to be more for those panic buys when you realise the stuff you bought for the run up to Christmas isn't all it was cracked up to be, and for clubs trying to off load their also-rans which they panic bought this time last year.
be that as it may, although i believe that is a bit of a myth tbh, i think it is unquestionable that we do not have the cover in key positions like fullback, midfield and possibly wing. some of those are new problems, and some frankly weren’t addressed in the summer when they should’ve been. we either sort reinforcements for the aforementioned positions (at the very least full back!) or we don’t act surprised when we fall away and are unable to compete, which in turn will probably lead to RDZ looking elsewhere.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
LB, LW & DM if the right players are available. We have plenty of quality and talent but too many injuries have hit us hard. We are strong enough to challenge a couple of places higher

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Have we acquired any obscure young players recently and loaned them out with the expectation they will be ready-made world beaters by next year?

Or did we just get lucky with some of the previous few?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
What happened to the Bristol City centre back that we failed to get at the last minute and we're supposed to return for in January? I appreciate that's not a positional priority at present.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
be that as it may, although i believe that is a bit of a myth tbh, i think it is unquestionable that we do not have the cover in key positions like fullback, midfield and possibly wing. some of those are new problems, and some frankly weren’t addressed in the summer when they should’ve been. we either sort reinforcements for the aforementioned positions (at the very least full back!) or we don’t act surprised when we fall away and are unable to compete, which in turn will probably lead to RDZ looking elsewhere.
And therein lies the key point. Our leadership must not let RDZ down. Not sure why some Brighton fans think they know better because of the Tony doesn’t like Jan myth, which is very easy to debunk and already has been on this very thread

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Have we acquired any obscure young players recently and loaned them out with the expectation they will be ready-made world beaters by next year?

Or did we just get lucky with some of the previous few?

The only player that vaguely fits under that category is Adrian Mazilu but he has hardly pulled up any trees in the Romanian league since scoring a worldie at the start of the season.

Who knows maybe with a bit of RDZ magic he will turn up and be amazing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What happened to the Bristol City centre back that we failed to get at the last minute and we're supposed to return for in January? I appreciate that's not a positional priority at present.
Alec Scott ? Went to Bournemouth.

Was also the young lad at Derby as well that thought he was coming on the last day but didn’t happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here