Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] **January Transfer Window 2019**

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Connolly to Celtic would be a bad move on a variety of fronts. Firstly as was seen years ago with Kayal and is still the case, their inability to keep players fit is there for all to see. Secondly they rotate their squad like no one else and Connolly would be lucky to get a game a month.
It might seem slightly perverse but if he went to Rangers, who apart from Morelos , don't have anyone to put the ball in the net, he would be guaranteed more game time and , I believe, would be mentored by a more competent manager in SG. Connolly being from Eire may of course not want to join Rangers.
My preference for Connolly and Gyokeres would be a loan spell at a Championship club with some sort of guarantee about matches to be played. Alternatively keep them in the U23s, get to the promised land of 35 points or so ASAP and then throw them into the first team for the end of season fixtures.

If Connolly went to Rangers he would just be bench-warming unless Morelos was injured or suspended. Gyokeres on the other hand, now that Murphy is out for the season ...................

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If Connolly went to Rangers he would just be bench-warming unless Morelos was injured or suspended. Gyokeres on the other hand, now that Murphy is out for the season ...................

Well if Connolly represents the Republic of Ireland, I wouldn't think there is any way in the world he would want to play for Rangers!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well if Connolly represents the Republic of Ireland, I wouldn't think there is any way in the world he would want to play for Rangers!
Contrary to some popular opinion, not every citizen of the Republic of Ireland is a raving sectarian bigot. Some of them aren't even Catholics, and some couldn't give a shit about religion anyway.
Having said that, where was I advocating for Connolly to go to Rangers anyway?

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Whilst we’re on the subject of the U23’s squad, what are the futures of two talented wingers - James Tilley and Jordan Maguire Drew?
Tilley - Made his debut in May 2015. Started one game last season and scored in our league cup game.
Maguire Drew - Looked a massive talent a couple of seasons ago. Couple of rubbish loan moves has stunted his development in my opinion.

Think both of their contracts may be up at the end of the season. Massive six months ahead for the two of them...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Contrary to some popular opinion, not every citizen of the Republic of Ireland is a raving sectarian bigot. Some of them aren't even Catholics, and some couldn't give a shit about religion anyway.
Having said that, where was I advocating for Connolly to go to Rangers anyway?

I don't think you necessarily have to be a raving sectarian bigot, if you are a Catholic to want to play for Celtic over Rangers.

You didn't say that you were advocating he go to Rangers, merely that he would probably be warming the bench if he did.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Goodness knows why any of the promising youngsters would want to sign an extended contract with the club when the first team manager (who has been here 4 years and looks to be here for the long term) has shown he simply won't play them in league and FA Cup matches.

Well, I share the frustration to some degree... but our first team has been moving up the leagues quicker than our youth team can keep up - and a tight promotion season followed by a relegation fight is no place to throw young players into. This year's 'relative' comfort is easier to blood young players, and we've been doing it with bissouma and Bernardo, maybe 1 or 2 more will get the chance before the seasons out

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think you necessarily have to be a raving sectarian bigot, if you are a Catholic to want to play for Celtic over Rangers.

You didn't say that you were advocating he go to Rangers, merely that he would probably be warming the bench if he did.
Exactly. I was suggesting that he shouldn't go to Rangers, but religious grounds had no part in forming my opinion. It was solely a football issue.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, I share the frustration to some degree... but our first team has been moving up the leagues quicker than our youth team can keep up - and a tight promotion season followed by a relegation fight is no place to throw young players into. This year's 'relative' comfort is easier to blood young players, and we've been doing it with bissouma and Bernardo, maybe 1 or 2 more will get the chance before the seasons out
What does the Youth team have to do to 'keep up' in your view then? They are currently the third best youth team in the whole of England.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The likes of Bissouma and Bernardo have had first team experience before they came to the Albion though, they are streets ahead of the youngsters in our development squad. That alone counts for an awful lot.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
If the manager thought the U-23 players were good enough and ready, I'm sure he would put them in the team. But the standard in the PL is very high, and maybe they just aren't ready for that level yet? So perhaps a loan to a club where they can play some senior football is the best option - to gain experience of men's football, and to find out how good they really are.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The likes of Bissouma and Bernardo have had first team experience before they came to the Albion though, they are streets ahead of the youngsters in our development squad. That alone counts for an awful lot.

How do we know?

The only thing we do know is that they came form clubs where young players were given chances in the first team.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
What does the Youth team have to do to 'keep up' in your view then? They are currently the third best youth team in the whole of England.

Well, presuming it takes 3-4 years to mature youth team players to the first team, 4 years ago we were a low level championship team without fancy training facilities. The people we could recruit then are unlikely to graduate to the Premier league. Now we are, as you say, the third best youth team in England. But they'll still need a year or two to be ready so perhaps we have patience? No doubt there are some young players that are close, gyokeres perhaps the closest. But whereas in the past we've seen freshly signed young players go straight into the youth team, now we are seeing bissouma, at 21, and Bernardo, at 23, go straight to the first team and not the youth setup - showing that if you're good enough you're old enough

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How do we know?

The only thing we do know is that they came form clubs where young players were given chances in the first team.

Put simply, our youngsters need time out on loan with a lower division club to get used to playing regular games against other adult professionals, I don't think they should be blooded straight into our first team squad with so little or no experience at all. Certainly not with so much at stake, and our Premier League place not guaranteed. Cup games are a different matter, and perhaps we will see one or two of them at Bournemouth.

Doubtless you will disagree.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This year's 'relative' comfort is easier to blood young players, and we've been doing it with bissouma and Bernardo, maybe 1 or 2 more will get the chance before the seasons out

Bernardo cost £9 million and was our 4th-highest ever transfer fee! Bissouma cost at least £10 million! These were very clearly first team players.

This conversation is about the youngsters being developed through the academy system.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Whilst we’re on the subject of the U23’s squad, what are the futures of two talented wingers - James Tilley and Jordan Maguire Drew?
Tilley - Made his debut in May 2015. Started one game last season and scored in our league cup game.
Maguire Drew - Looked a massive talent a couple of seasons ago. Couple of rubbish loan moves has stunted his development in my opinion.

Think both of their contracts may be up at the end of the season. Massive six months ahead for the two of them...

Jordan Maguire-Drew's contract is up at the end of the season. Based upon the fact that he is playing at a lower level this season than last (and can't currently make the matchday squad at non-league Wrexham) I would be absolutely amazed if he was given a new contract.

James Tilley has one more season left on his deal (until June 2020). He hasn't been a consistent starter for the U-23s either last season or this. Right now, to my untrained eye, it's difficult to imagine a scenario where his contract would get extended.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Bernardo cost £9 million and was our 4th-highest ever transfer fee! Bissouma cost at least £10 million! These were very clearly first team players.

This conversation is about the youngsters being developed through the academy system.

I would agree, except that much of the tone of the comments on this thread is that these youth team players are of the same standard as bissouma et al.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just seen an interview of Hughton on SSN saying he doesn't think there will be much activity coming in this window, just a few going out on loan probably.

Seems fair enough to me. Sitting in a comfortable position, and with some of the Summer additions and Locadia getting more game time than at the start of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here