Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul van Hecke

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Anyone with deeper knowledge of the dutch leagues why this guy hasn't made the Netherlands u21s yet?

From a quick look, he has Perr Schuurs, Justin Hoogma and Danilho Doekhi ahead of him, who have all come up through the age groups and start for their respective Eredivisie clubs. The latter two are now both 22, though, so should be shipping out soon...

There's also Sven Botman who signed for LOSC for €9M this summer and has started every Ligue 1 match so far...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Is that yet another stiff from the Dutch Walking League? Then it's a no from me Jeff :nono:

He's been on our books for about 2 months now, cost €2M, age 20, 6'2", starting CB for SC Heerenveen, currently 6th in the Eredivisie - he's even scored a goal.

We'll make a profit on him, even if he never plays in the PL.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Anyone with deeper knowledge of the dutch leagues why this guy hasn't made the Netherlands u21s yet?

As schmunk said they have a lot of decent young defenders, hard competition. But he is developing well, getting a lot of praise and Voetbal International picked him for their "Eredivisie Team of the Week" one or two weeks ago.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
From a quick look, he has Perr Schuurs, Justin Hoogma and Danilho Doekhi ahead of him, who have all come up through the age groups and start for their respective Eredivisie clubs. The latter two are now both 22, though, so should be shipping out soon...

There's also Sven Botman who signed for LOSC for €9M this summer and has started every Ligue 1 match so far...

Thanks, just read this also with Hoogba;

'Justin Hoogma is the son of Nico-Jan Hoogma (Sporting Director Netherlands)'

Thanks for the note on the age, can't be long then.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall

Botman actually called up to the Mens team following Ake withdrawal so perhaps freeing up a spot in the u21 in the future

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Exceptional in the air this lad.

Himself, Clarke, Roberts & Ostigard will all be after a first team squad place for next season.

But I honestly believe that Graham will want a left footer so Clarke & Roberts might be favourites.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Himself, Clarke, Roberts & Ostigard will all be after a first team squad place for next season.

But I honestly believe that Graham will want a left footer so Clarke & Roberts might be favourites.

Personally think it’ll be too soon for Roberts, he’s been finding tough at Rochdale and hasn’t been picked for a few games, not sure about Ostigard but I suspect Clarke could be ready and van Hecke not far off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe this is why BDB was signed for an inflated price:-

[tweet]1499440414977372168[/tweet]

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

I’m not sure Ostigard and Clarke are in our plans. We’ve had long enough to look at them. Suspect Clarke doesn’t quite have enough and Ostigard is perhaps a bit too physical and rash. Be delighted to be proved wrong. Clearly Van Hecke has a heck of a chance next year. Roberts still needs a decent spell on loan as he’s clearly deemed far from first team ready atm. Compared to Ferguson, say, who seems to be being fast tracked into the side.
I suspect our number one priority signing will be a left footed, pacy, ball playing and carrying CB. Pretty much the holy grail in football.
I’d imagine next year our first choice would be Veltman/Van Hecke, Dunk, Webster, with a new CB competing for the LCB role.

Ps congrats to Van Hecke.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I’m not sure Ostigard and Clarke are in our plans. We’ve had long enough to look at them. Suspect Clarke doesn’t quite have enough and Ostigard is perhaps a bit too physical and rash. Be delighted to be proved wrong. Clearly Van Hecke has a heck of a chance next year. Roberts still needs a decent spell on loan as he’s clearly deemed far from first team ready atm. Compared to Ferguson, say, who seems to be being fast tracked into the side.
I suspect our number one priority signing will be a left footed, pacy, ball playing and carrying CB. Pretty much the holy grail in football.
I’d imagine next year our first choice would be Veltman/Van Hecke, Dunk, Webster, with a new CB competing for the LCB role.

Ps congrats to Van Hecke.

So don't sell them if you have one, is that what you're saying?

Increasingly likely that Van Hecke will be in the squad, but yes, we're gathering a fair few right sided CB's

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
It's a nightmare for BRFC. They may come up and then immediately lose two of their best players. The downside of loans I guess (see Leeds United)

The upside for us is that if we were to go out and sign two of the best players in the Championship and Genoa's starting centre half you'd be looking at around £60m for the three!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
So don't sell them if you have one, is that what you're saying?

Increasingly likely that Van Hecke will be in the squad, but yes, we're gathering a fair few right sided CB's

No I’m saying that we are now at the kind of level where we are just as likely to sign a very good player as we are to promote from within and we’ve shown very little interest in playing either Roberts or Clarke during their Albion careers. As before I’d be delighted if either of them stepped up next year, but given Roberts gets no minutes and Clarke can’t get into a struggling WBA I’m not sure we see them as the answer to an obvious gap in the squad.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Fully expect the Blackburn duo to be part of the first team squad next season.

Agree totally about Van Hecke but not sure about Khadra. From the reports I’ve read and heard and the few times I’ve seen him play, I got the impression he was still a bit raw and inconsistent and could do with another loan.

Although he looks older so it’s hard to believe, he is still only 20 so another season in the Championship might be best for him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here