Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jamie Vardy Semi-Retires from international duty

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Has asked not to be considered so he can focus on club football, but is willing to play in exceptional circumstances (eg injury crises)

I have announced my own retirement from international football. I will be concentrating on not drinking too much ale.

I am available to Gareth Southgate in the case of extreme injury crises.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So I don’t doubt that Southgate has spoken to Vardy saying that they probably won’t feature and the wants to build for the future.

Question, would you respect Vardy more if he said ….

A - “I want to spend more time with my family etc etc”

Or

B – “ Gareth has just spoken to me honestly and said he wants to build with younger players. I totally respect his view and I respect him. Though I want to make one thing clear….. I will never retire from international football. I’m going to go back to Leicester and score 30 goals this season to see if I can change his mind. If it doesn’t work I’m going to try to score 35 goals the following season . If it doesn’t work I’ll warmly shake the hand of whoever has got my place and take my turn at lobbing beer around in fanparks at the next Euros”

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Looks like it's catching on. Wales legend Hal Robson Kanu retired today too, Welsh fans gutted about his decision.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Hate Beckham all you want, but no matter how shoddily he was treated by England (some self-inflicted) he never once said 'I'm going to concentrate on club football'.
So much so if asked now to 'give us 45 minutes' he'd have his boots on before the call the finished.

Exactly this, same with Lampard to be fair.

I don't get this retirement from international football. I still haven't and I never will. They can ask me when I'm 100 and I'd still give my best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here