Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jamie Oliver jerk rice controversy

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Only for certain foods.
Some place names have a protected status... so it's only "Champagne" when it's from the Champagne Region in France. Otherwise it's sparkling wine.
For another example "Aberdeen Angus" beef has restricted use. It needs to have been reared in Scotland for at least 9 months before being slaughtered (if I remember correctly).
West Country Farmhouse Cheddar almost certainly isn't restricted, so the answer would probably be yes.

It is restricted. You can only call it that if it's made in a certain way in certain West Country counties.

Edit- within Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
You know this is a ridiculous debate, when even the majority of comments on the Guardian website are mocking those who are outraged.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For another example "Aberdeen Angus" beef has restricted use. It needs to have been reared in Scotland for at least 9 months before being slaughtered (if I remember correctly).

I don't think that is true at all. It must be certified as the proper Angus breed, but location isn't a stipulation. There are huge herds of Aberdeen Angus cattle in the states, Australia and all across the world.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Only for certain foods.
Some place names have a protected status... so it's only "Champagne" when it's from the Champagne Region in France. Otherwise it's sparkling wine.
West Country Farmhouse Cheddar almost certainly isn't restricted, so the answer would probably be yes.

I was joking!

:shootself

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Dawn Butler MP should want to be spending time being concerned at the number of black children running around her city killing each other than getting involved with the flavour of someone’s rice!

And for the record the term ‘cultural appropriation’ has become increasingly fashionable among professional grievance-mongers and self-appointed social justice warriors eager to find offence!

There’s a few professional grievance mongers on here too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here