Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jamie Carragher joins the Roberto De Zerbi Fan Club

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Those interesting numbers, a clear sea change, back up something @Guinness Boy often said. The chances previously were half chances, not clear chances, giving an illusion of a team unlucky in most EPL games.

RDZ has turned us into a team with a great counter attack, more precise in its final third passing and with bodies in the box at key moments.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Those interesting numbers, a clear sea change, back up something @Guinness Boy
RDZ has turned us into a team with a great counter attack, more precise in its final third passing and with bodies in the box at key moments.

This sentence is so true. The quality of the chances has improved I believe due to two reasons:

1. The players are being cuter with their deliveries. Often under GP it felt like they were trying too much in the sense of beat man and play the pass, often the correct one, but perhaps before the intended recipient had gone

And more tellingly

2. Instead of their only being one intended recipient as was the case under Potter this time there are multiple. Encouraged to flow forward en mass so seemingly each opportunity yields two or three options at a time with remaining personnel there for the second ball

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
This sentence is so true. The quality of the chances has improved I believe due to two reasons:

1. The players are being cuter with their deliveries. Often under GP it felt like they were trying too much in the sense of beat man and play the pass, often the correct one, but perhaps before the intended recipient had gone

And more tellingly

2. Instead of their only being one intended recipient as was the case under Potter this time there are multiple. Encouraged to flow forward en mass so seemingly each opportunity yields two or three options at a time with remaining personnel there for the second ball
I agree with this. The way Mitoma came ghosting in at the back post v West Ham....He was the 3rd possible recipient to that ball. Under GP that would've skimmed agonisingly accross the 6 yard box in front of our striker and then everyone would be pissing and moaning on here about how Tony needs to get his cheque book out to get someone on the end of those balls.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

And more tellingly

The end of a fast paced attack against Chelsea for the third goal. Albion bodies around the box AND in superior positions, swamping their numbers. Hey presto, defensive panic and a goal.

Cuckoo marking 3 or 4 players :lolol:.

ACED9F83-1F3F-465D-9269-D355D67C4DE8.png

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

And more tellingly

Partly I agree with this. But the biggest single factor is, IMO, the SPEED of transition now.

Our one-touch play is just dazzling. We're very clever bringing it out from the back, but then when it reaches the central and final third, the way we bounce it off each other first time is absolutely outstanding. There is always someone with their back to goal in or around the box, ready to make a cushioned lay-off to someone running on to it. Its almost like clockwork. Its wall-ball.

A prime example was on Saturday for Mitoma's goal. Ferguson received a pass back to goal and played an exquisite one-touch flick to March. To Gross. To Mitoma. Bang. 3-0. This wasn't on the break, it wasn't intercepting a poor pass. It was pure, slick interplay, with SPEED. And of course the numbers we now commit forward.

Its these one-touch rapid transitions in the final third (following some piss-taking at the back) that is giving teams so much trouble. An absolute joy to watch. Potter built the foundation, but he NEVER got us playing quite like this. Solly in particular looks 5x the player he has been under anyone else.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Those interesting numbers, a clear sea change, back up something @Guinness Boy often said. The chances previously were half chances, not clear chances, giving an illusion of a team unlucky in most EPL games.

I agree, the chances created are better. those stats refeered to 'big chances' and I think this is where Potterball struggled a little (It is necessary to insert here that I fully understand how important Potter was for us and that he was steering us in the right direction).

I am starting to wonder if what is in place for De Zerbi may be enough to keep him here.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

100% concur. GP largely created half chances where the defence had three men back in front of goal.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

And more tellingly

I believe it's also down to beating the press, which takes out a number of the opposition players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here