Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Alexander Gordon

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The sound of that brassy, jaunty, march-like Sports Report theme tune on AM radio, followed by "But first we go over to James Alexander Gordon for the classified football results", then the great man's authoritative delivery of them simply IS the definitive sound of sitting in the car after an away game. Preferable when it's already dark. And it's drizzling. Magnificent.

He'll be very much missed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Sad news. An iconic voice on the airwaves that had the nation gladly hear him silk tongue the results of the day. :(

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I wonder if he would have been the voice on the BBC World Service?
I remember from the early '70's, before I even knew what the pools were, that litany every Saturday.

"Hamilton Academical 2, Patrick Thistle nil."

He definitely would have been. "Brighton and *LOUD, CRACKLY INTERFERENCE*...Crystal Palace nil"

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Sad news. An iconic voice on the airwaves that had the nation gladly hear him silk tongue the results of the day. :(

That is the most oddly sexual way I have ever heard to describe the reading of football results.

:thumbsup:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
He definitely would have been. "Brighton and *LOUD, CRACKLY INTERFERENCE*...Crystal Palace nil"

God, that takes me back. All of 20 at the time.

The late '70's when it was the BBC World Service, and week-old newspapers from the Out of Town news agency in Harvard Square, or the back of the Irish papers you'd see in pubs in Southie or Linda Mae's bakery in Dorchester.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'Division 1.....'

As it was, and as it shall always be...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Very pleased to report that on the 22.04.1964 Forfar did indeed beat East Fife 5-4.

Thanks to that feast of statistical heavenliness- statto.com

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very pleased to report that on the 22.04.1964 Forfar did indeed beat East Fife 5-4.

Thanks to that feast of statistical heavenliness- statto.com
That was before JAG started reading results though I think.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Walk back to the car parked in The Droveway or alike from The Goldstone, listen with silence and warm up to JAG, home to Dr Who, The Generation Game and The Two Ronnies.
Aaaah nostalgia, not what it used to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here