Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jakub Moder

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Don't think he needs to expect a crash in the market. There is a crash in the market. Chelsea can put a £50m price tag on Broja and Leicester can put £40m on KDH, but no-one is going to pay it in the current situation. Why else has there been so little activity in this window? Note also that the Saudi cash cow seems to have fallen flat, and players are leaving rather than joining.
What Bloom might be thinking is the crash might have developed further in the summer, when there's more availability and less horse-trading/ducks in a row than in Jan.
And a fruitless Jan window makes the sellers realise they're going to have to accept the new market conditions (or be saddled with a bloated squad, no ability to buy and FFP penalties hoving into view)

:bloom:

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I agree with this.

I suspect Baleba, Milner and Hinshelwood are in front of him in this position. Possibly Lallana too.
If any post shows how threadbare our midfield options are it’s this one. Baleba nowhere near ready. Hinshelwood one start in midfield and not ready, Milner rarely fit, Lallana can’t play three games a week and can’t player more than 45 minutes.

How we have ended up in this position is beyond me, we can’t even blame this on injuries.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If any post shows how threadbare our midfield options are it’s this one. Baleba nowhere near ready. Hinshelwood one start in midfield and not ready, Milner rarely fit, Lallana can’t play three games a week and can’t player more than 45 minutes.

How we have ended up in this position is beyond me, we can’t even blame this on injuries.
Milner rarely fit ?

Reactions: cjd

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Milner rarely fit ?
Yeah. We have played 31 games this season, he has featured in only 20 of those, so missed more than a third. Of those twenty he went off injured before half time in 2 of them and in 6 others he came on and played just a few minutes at the end becuse, that’s right you guessed it, being eased back after injury.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And a fruitless Jan window makes the sellers realise they're going to have to accept the new market conditions (or be saddled with a bloated squad, no ability to buy and FFP penalties hoving into view)

:bloom:
Something might come along to boost things. It has done for decades now. And there are state-owned clubs that have got money to burn. But at the same time PRS has had some effect, particularly on those that aren't owned by states or a company with too much cash.
What comforts me is, if you'd asked a moment to stop the charade, now is a pretty good moment for us in terms of squad quality, potential and (with a few exceptions) depth.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I thought Baleba was the pick of our midfielders when he came on at Luton. He did well.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I thought Baleba was the pick of our midfielders when he came on at Luton. He did well.
There's definitely ability there. Still inconsistent.

He'll come good next season, bit still need another for this season and for depth.

Its not MF ability we lack its physicality.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Whilst that maybe true, it is a bit like picking the tastiest shit sandwich on the performances from Tuesday.

I find Baleba curious. He looked superb against Brentford and Liverpool but has looked massively off the pace at times particularly when coming on as sub. He needs time and may well be the long term answer to the DCM but probably isn't in the short term. It's a shame we've lost numbers in the middle - notwithstanding Dahoud was never the answer to the tackling midfielder option - as it is the one area where we are currently short of quality. It was less than 2 years ago we were able to field Bissouma, Mwepu and Caciedo in the same team. We now don't have one with that physicality.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Whilst that maybe true, it is a bit like picking the tastiest shit sandwich on the performances from Tuesday.

I find Baleba curious. He looked superb against Brentford and Liverpool but has looked massively off the pace at times particularly when coming on as sub. He needs time and may well be the long term answer to the DCM but probably isn't in the short term. It's a shame we've lost numbers in the middle - notwithstanding Dahoud was never the answer to the tackling midfielder option - as it is the one area where we are currently short of quality. It was less than 2 years ago we were able to field Bissouma, Mwepu and Caciedo in the same team. We now don't have one with that physicality.
You mention Bissouma.

Wasn't he equally inconsistent for us in his early performances (despite being 3 or 4 years older than Baleba)

His performances have been entirely normal for a promising young player of that age.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You mention Bissouma.

Wasn't he equally inconsistent for us in his early performances (despite being 3 or 4 years older than Baleba)

His performances have been entirely normal for a promising young player of that age.

Indeed. There was an order of Bissouma then Caceido. Baleba is the next cab off the rank but we've been caught short on the ready made front as we lost a few in quick succession. That's how it is given the ages we buy players at and if they progress (or retire in the unfortunate Mwepu case) earlier than expected.

Baleba is certainly not a bad player - he may well end up being a very, very good one - he's just not ready yet. It's just a shame as that could make the difference between a very good or outstanding season.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I would like to see him get more minutes, especially as our midfield options are threadbare.
I don't think they are threadbare at all. We have lots of players at CM which is why Dahoud went today. I think there are just all very very similar. With the exception of a very inexperienced Baleba and a very ageing Milner.

We lack the the solidity and dynamism that Mac and Caicedo gave us. I know Mac played the second half of the season at no.10 but that naturally brought a greater defensive base with him defending from higher up the pitch.

We're so much weaker than last year without them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't think they are threadbare at all. We have lots of players at CM which is why Dahoud went today. I think there are just all very very similar. With the exception of a very inexperienced Baleba and a very ageing Milner.

We lack the the solidity and dynamism that Mac and Caicedo gave us. I know Mac played the second half of the season at no.10 but that naturally brought a greater defensive base with him defending from higher up the pitch.

Agreed but our MO, and progression generally, doesn’t mean improving in a linear manner every season and we shouldn’t expect that. We will have seasons where we take a step back to step forward, particularly when like this season we get by a ridiculous number of injuries affecting the same positions. If the ‘right’ signings aren’t available that fit our model and parameters then we won’t make them.

Jul 7, 2003

I hope that Baleba will be like Wee Billy. I know Billy had off the field problems but in that role, it takes time to learn what RDZ demands of them and if Baleba in his second season kicks on like Billy has, with his physicality he could be that Caicedo replacement

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

It’s a defensive midfielder that we’re missing, of all the centre mids we have not one of them is defensive minded.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

And MacA could operate deep if Caicedo pushed forward in moments. Another brilliant ball winner.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Agreed but our MO, and progression generally, doesn’t mean improving in a linear manner every season and we shouldn’t expect that. We will have seasons where we take a step back to step forward, particularly when like this season we get by a ridiculous number of injuries affecting the same positions. If the ‘right’ signings aren’t available that fit our model and parameters then we won’t make them.
I don't disagree at all but just stating the obvious re. what we currently have as CM options. If Baleba hits the ground running next season then we've done it again. If not, then it could be 18months/2 years of one step back when one or two more pragmatic signings could have kept us rolling a little bit.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
It’s a defensive midfielder that we’re missing, of all the centre mids we have not one of them is defensive minded.
Baleba is but not ready sadly. It's the risk we take and it'll bring success and frustration sometimes. Just have to remember where the model has brought us to so far and enjoy the ride.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Moder has had enough time to get match for now. He is still getting very few minutes and is seemingly nowhere near threatening the starting lineup.

The conclusion must be that he doesn’t have the attributes RDZ requires. These might be pace and dribbling on the flanks or elite level passing (see Groß & Gilmour) in the centre.

A real shame but I notice that he was purchased as a central midfielder, a position that Potter underutilised him in too. I think he can do very well in the EPL but perhaps he needs a different sort of team to perform at his highest level in?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think Moder has had enough time to get match for now. He is still getting very few minutes and is seemingly nowhere near threatening the starting lineup.

The conclusion must be that he doesn’t have the attributes RDZ requires. These might be pace and dribbling on the flanks or elite level passing (see Groß & Gilmour) in the centre.

A real shame but I notice that he was purchased as a central midfielder, a position that Potter underutilised him in too. I think he can do very well in the EPL but perhaps he needs a different sort of team to perform at his highest level in?
It's the not being used off the bench which is a worry.

I share your conclusion that RDZ has had a look and isn't fussed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

He's come back from 18 months of not playing any football at all. The idea of him getting back to his best in a few weeks of being fit is absolutely laughable. He's basically learning to play football again. 6-12 months time is probably the time to judge him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here