[Albion] Jakub Moder - SIGNED ON 5 YEAR DEAL - LOANED BACK "FOR THE TIME BEING"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Does Moder go straight into the starting 11?

I doubt it, the Polish league is ranked as the 29th best league in Europe. It will probably take a month or two of training with PL players before he is ready to have any real impact (though could very well see some sub appearances before that). Probably going to see him start in the FA cup first.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I hope he’s got a bit of spite about him, we miss a bit of presence in midfield since Stephens left.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Exactly.
Having a midfielder (over) 6ft2 makes a difference. Just like by having Sanchez it instantly made a difference to the defence over all. Clearly some of our confidence comes from that fact that physically he looks like he'll be up to it.
I think it's a really, really exciting.

Ahh that explains why they were practicing thumping long balls from Sanchez on Tuesday night.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So he's with us from tomorrow... Bench on Saturday or wait for cup game?

Can he go straight into our 25 man squad or is that not revised until end of window?

If you sign a player in January, you don't have to wait until the end of Jan to play him.

Conventional selection wisdom says give him the last 30 mins of the cup game and build from there. With Graham, I wouldn't like to guess

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I hope he’s got a bit of spite about him, we miss a bit of presence in midfield since Stephens left.

?????

Bissouma?! The man who dominates midfield in nearly every game he plays?! We don’t miss Stephens in the slightest.

Moder looks exciting from what I’ve seen and read. He and Bissouma potentially look like a very good pairing with skill sets that compliment each other.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Jakub Moder - SIGNED ON 5 YEAR DEAL - LOANED BACK "FOR THE TIME BEING"

?????

Bissouma?! The man who dominates midfield in nearly every game he plays?! We don’t miss Stephens in the slightest.

Moder looks exciting from what I’ve seen and read. He and Bissouma potentially look like a very good pairing with skill sets that compliment each other.

This.

Exactly. It’s ludicrous in hindsight but I recall having several disagreements with a few on NSC who swore blind it was correct that Dale kept Biss out of the team, and that Dale and Proper were our best CM pairing.

I would be happy to see Darth Modor involved in the squad as soon as possible. Not start, but get some minutes here and there.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Moder is exciting. Bissouma is currently outstanding but it took him a season to adjust and the same is likely to be true for Jakob. If you are forming a midfield partnership it needs an understanding to develop. Unlikely to happen overnight unfortunately. Can’t see potter parachuting him in. One for the future and possibly a replacement rather than a partner for biss which would be sad.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Will he have to quarantine for 10 days?

Lech Poznań haven’t played since 19th December so he may already be in the country. As of 15th December international arrivals can pay for a private test (subject to when they were last in a country not on the travel corridor) to release from self isolation early if the test is negative, so the club may go down this route when he arrives to get him training with the first team as soon as possible.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
This.

Exactly. It’s ludicrous in hindsight but I recall having several disagreements with a few on NSC who swore blind it was correct that Dale kept Biss out of the team, and that Dale and Proper were our best CM pairing.

I would be happy to see Darth Modor involved in the squad as soon as possible. Not start, but get some minutes here and there.

That’s just it, it’s only ludicrous in hindsight (i.e. if you judge all three on current standards). Bissouma always had the potential to be the best of the three and is now showing that, but for his first 18-24 months at the club he was massively inconsistent (otherwise he would have been the first name on the team sheet, as he is now).

I don’t know your views on Propper or Stephens, but Propper is a high-quality international midfielder and Stephens is a solid, consistent Premier League midfielder whose strength is protecting the back four.

Hughton, and even Potter in his first six months, obviously didn’t fully trust Bissouma in such an important position. I don’t think the posters you refer to were quite as ridiculous as you suggest.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That isn't his strength though, for all of his attributes he is not creative in the final 3rd.

Not sure we have tried it enough to know for sure.

When he first came into the squad he was playing further forward than he does now and he did appear to be fairly creative but we rely on him so much now that he has made the deep holding midfielder role his own.
I'm amused that so many who slated Biss in the early days have been made to look bloody stupid. When a young player comes in, playing at a much higher level than he had done before, he is going to make mistakes. Same with the dogs abuse Connolly gets from some on here. It takes youngsters time to learn and develop and perfect their craft.

But very sadly Biss is just too good to be playing for us and he is going to move on sooner rather than later. Let's just hope that Moder can step into his boots when the time comes.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Not sure we have tried it enough to know for sure.

Using the last few games as an example, there was a through ball he played to Welbeck against West Ham which was overhit. If it was played right, he would have been in on goal. Then, against Sheffield United, I think March was free on the left and Bissouma kicked it out of play.

Furthermore, he has never had an assist for us in the PL. I don't think that assist stats are the be all and end all, so if we look at 'key passes' instead (The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal but not scoring) he only has 6 this season (which is 9th in our team).

So I think we can say that he isn't creative.

(Still a top player though)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
?????

Bissouma has been fantastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports