Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jake Humphrey - what a tool

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anchor's of these shows need something to fire up the discussion, but it falls flat if they pick something artificially.

There was so much Humphries could have picked up on, our 2nd half subs, Arsenal's lack of leadership, the superb injury time move and goal. But he showed himself up because he didn't have the intellectual capacity to work anything else out, so just went with the injury. Embarrassing.

Annoyingly it dominated the post match show, only because of a shite stirring presenter.

Rio imho would’ve been keen to talk about Potter’s use of subs, their impact, Maupay’s great performance and another soft Arsenal implosion.

JH hijacked what could’ve been so good.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Along with the other things highlighted above re Rio, he also wouldn't rise to the Arteta is crap line and immediately said that Potter deserved a lot of credit. With that, it was suddenly the end of the show. Well played that man.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Is he really suggesting that Maupay didn’t have every right to challenge a keeper who looked like he was about to handle outside the box? Unbelievable. I bet he would have been well pissed off If a Norwich player in a similar position had just jogged back to the half way line, without bothering to make an attempt for the ball.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He seemed to big us up with the Dan Ashworth interview earlier in the season ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He seemed to big us up with the Dan Ashworth interview earlier in the season ?

Yes he did.

On reflection a Sports Channel with huge outlays and no income for three months might just want their anchor to try and get watching Brighton fans to search "BT Sports Dan Ashworth".

He showed his true colours straight after the game, when he didn't have a script.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I must admit that I've been delighted at how badly Norwich have struggled this season in view of Jake Humphrey's tweet, even though I've always enjoyed visiting Carrow Road and quite like the city. It always feels like an expedition because it's so far away from anywhere else.

But I was slightly taken aback by a stat during the Norwich v Southampton game about it being the 21st time the fixture had been played in the top division. I wonder how it is that a medium-sized club from what is effectively the middle of nowhere can have had so many seasons at the top compared to us. It suggests that we have punched well below our weight over the decades bearing in mind catchment area and potential crowd size.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
it seemed to me that BT sport replayed the wrong incident at the end ( the tap to Maupays stomach from which he collapsed) and completely missed the real incident which was the throat grab and which caused all the trouble.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Also thought the lunge on Ryan was much worse than Maupay's nudge. Same idea - going for a ball they were never going to get. Ryan got lucky and didn't land awkwardly.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I must admit that I've been delighted at how badly Norwich have struggled this season in view of Jake Humphrey's tweet, even though I've always enjoyed visiting Carrow Road and quite like the city. It always feels like an expedition because it's so far away from anywhere else.

But I was slightly taken aback by a stat during the Norwich v Southampton game about it being the 21st time the fixture had been played in the top division. I wonder how it is that a medium-sized club from what is effectively the middle of nowhere can have had so many seasons at the top compared to us. It suggests that we have punched well below our weight over the decades bearing in mind catchment area and potential crowd size.

Have always held this view, Norwich are an utter enigma in that respect, Ipswich as well, them winning a league title, domestic and European silverware. Only Greece or Denmark’s Euros wins come close to being equally inexplicable imho.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

This is a bit weak as well. It's not that you have an agenda against Brighton Jake, perhaps it's an agenda against football if the only thing about that game you thought was worthy of post match discussion was a slight nudge and a really unfortunate fall.

I suppose if we are going to say a striker putting a keeper under a little bit of pressure with their handling on the edge of their is 'unnecessary', what else in the game is unnecessary?

Getting that tweet out there makes it look like his mistake was simply to criticise Brighton or a Brighton player, wrong Jake, it was just poor punditry, poor hosting, poor post match debate.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
, it was just poor punditry, poor hosting, poor post match debate.

I agree with this assessment, but to be honest, the focus of our annoyance on JH is pretty unjust.

My (25 year) experience of listening in to live sports broadcasting (while I press the buttons to control the timing / scoring graphics) means that personally I expect 95% of the blame for the narrative lies with the producer.

JH will have had zero control over which bits of VT they were going to run, for the pundits to discuss. His only 'crime' in my view was to lead with his opinion, rather than a neutral "So Rio, this challenge on Leno - any blame with the striker, for you?"

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not that I wish to side-track the thread, but I love how people are picking up on this point and completely ignoring his point pre-match which was essentially: "Having spoken to Barber and Ashworth on the show before, Brighton being relegated would be a loss to the Premier League".

He made a point about how much we bring to the league and us being relegated would be bad, so rather than crying about the nasty thing the mean man said about us, what about looking at the nice things he said too? You know, that thing that has vanished from modern society: Balance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here