Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jadon Sancho

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Lol course Man U are gonna sell a player they bought for mega money for a cut price deal lolll

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reminds me of the Gary Hart to Bristol City joke rumour started on here that took off well, before the internet was a thing. That was fun

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think someone's on a wind up as there's one with us in for Nunez on loan and another for Neymar.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Reminds me of the Gary Hart to Bristol City joke rumour started on here that took off well, before the internet was a thing. That was fun
Gary Hart to Bristol City…. I hope this isn’t true… ! by God that’ll strip us of one of the finest utility men this side of Denny Mundee… it’s over for me if Gary leaves, especially to join the likes of sodding Bristol City.

Right, I’m off to listen to shoplifting by Straw, one of the finest indie albums ever.

Mad. For. It.

Kosh

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Dortmund had Man United's trousers down with Sancho. Same as they did with Kagawa.

Given what he's been paid for two seasons of bench warming and underperformance, with three more years on that contract, I doubt he'd want to take a massive salary cut, even if RDZ fancied him.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Here's another article on the Sancho saga:
It seems like it's a joke, but what I find even more astonishing is how fans would want to swap Caicedo for Sancho??

I don’t think fans really want to swap him for anyone. He made it pretty clear in Jan he wants to move on though, so if that’s going to happen then we may as well get the absolute most out of any deal and if that means a decent player coming in, then so be it.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
I saw a headline about us being in for Sancho for 45m today and thought it was some kind of a joke.That's a swift and sudden fall to go to Man U for all that money with all that hype and then 2 minutes later come to little ole us.No thanks.Don't want a Utd failure.Whos to say he would be different for us.Ive said before Tony Bloom is stingy because we are making alot of money selling players but spending little but I don't want us spending 45m on anyone.Let's break the trend ..Lets keep being the team that develops 5m players and turn them into superstars.Let's not be as vulgar as City and just throw money at it.Let's be old school.Let's do it the way it was done in the old days and if we fail then we do so with pride and dignity.We do it showing people its not always about big money.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I saw a headline about us being in for Sancho for 45m today and thought it was some kind of a joke.That's a swift and sudden fall to go to Man U for all that money with all that hype and then 2 minutes later come to little ole us.No thanks.Don't want a Utd failure.Whos to say he would be different for us.Ive said before Tony Bloom is stingy because we are making alot of money selling players but spending little but I don't want us spending 45m on anyone.Let's break the trend ..Lets keep being the team that develops 5m players and turn them into superstars.Let's not be as vulgar as City and just throw money at it.Let's be old school.Let's do it the way it was done in the old days and if we fail then we do so with pride and dignity.We do it showing people its not always about big money.
Firstly, I can't see Sancho signing for the Albion anytime soon because of wages. But let's not pretend we don't want to see star players playing for the Albion. What would be the point of making £100 million profit on transfers season on season if - occasionally - we didn't splash the cash for the right player?

I would be very comfortable selling 3 or 4 players for a combined £170 mill and spending £110 mill on their replacements. That may be £45 mill on one, £35 on another and £15mill for a couple of promising youngsters. But if there is a window when the right young player is not available - and they don't grow on trees - then we might have to do something else.

Tielemans won Leicester an FA Cup. Paqueta plays in Bowen for the Europa Conference winner, Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton were instrumental in helping Newcastle into a Champions League spot. All of these players bought for c. £40-odd million, all elevating their clubs to another level.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Gary Hart to Bristol City…. I hope this isn’t true… ! by God that’ll strip us of one of the finest utility men this side of Denny Mundee… it’s over for me if Gary leaves, especially to join the likes of sodding Bristol City.

Right, I’m off to listen to shoplifting by Straw, one of the finest indie albums ever.

Mad. For. It.

Kosh

Tune!

Haven't listened to the album in an age but loved it back in the day. I remember seeing them at Glastonbury and thinking I'd just seen the next big thing...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Firstly, I can't see Sancho signing for the Albion anytime soon because of wages. But let's not pretend we don't want to see star players playing for the Albion. What would be the point of making £100 million profit on transfers season on season if - occasionally - we didn't splash the cash for the right player?

I would be very comfortable selling 3 or 4 players for a combined £170 mill and spending £110 mill on their replacements. That may be £45 mill on one, £35 on another and £15mill for a couple of promising youngsters. But if there is a window when the right young player is not available - and they don't grow on trees - then we might have to do something else.

Tielemans won Leicester an FA Cup. Paqueta plays in Bowen for the Europa Conference winner, Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton were instrumental in helping Newcastle into a Champions League spot. All of these players bought for c. £40-odd million, all elevating their clubs to another level.
That's not the point though. If we sell players for, say £100M total, yes, there would be money in the transfer kitty to pay £45M for one player - but not in the wages budget. A £45M player would expect at least £100-£150K a week (and this one's apparantly on £300K a week!), so we trot on!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
That's not the point though. If we sell players for, say £100M total, yes, there would be money in the transfer kitty to pay £45M for one player - but not in the wages budget. A £45M player would expect at least £100-£150K a week (and this one's apparantly on £300K a week!), so we trot on!

There's no way we're signing Sancho, but what you've written doesn't add up.

£100m Transfer Budget
Pay £45m for Player
Transfer Budget remaining £55m
Deduct £15.6m to cover £300k per week wages per year
Remaining Transfer budget £39.4m

Of course, what I've written comes with the caveat that there's no way we'd pay a single player £300k per week as this would completely unbalance our wage structure which is the real key as to why this would never happen.

EDIT: Although... you could pay £100k per week wages with a £30m signing on bonus and still have £9m in the transfer kitty.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There's no way we're signing Sancho, but what you've written doesn't add up.

£100m Transfer Budget
Pay £45m for Player
Transfer Budget remaining £55m
Deduct £15.6m to cover £300k per week wages per year
Remaining Transfer budget £39.4m

Of course, what I've written comes with the caveat that there's no way we'd pay a single player £300k per week as this would completely unbalance our wage structure which is the real key as to why this would never happen.

EDIT: Although... you could pay £100k per week wages with a £30m signing on bonus and still have £9m in the transfer kitty.
I've just highlighted the only relevant bit of your argument!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I've just highlighted the only relevant bit of your argument!
I obviously think its highly unlikely that we'll sign him, but at some point surely there will be a player out there in the world of football who thinks "OK so I'm earning 200 grand a week, but I'm barely playing, the manager's style isn't suiting me, my once-promising career is stagnating, I'm out of the national team and the game I used to love is not as much fun any more. I've banked £20 million pounds over the past two years, so why not drop down a little to a club that will play me, with a style that is exciting, a manager who is improving players left right and centre, and a team that wants to win things, and sure, I'll *only* earn £10m over the next two years rather than £20m, but thats worth it for potentially turning my career around and becoming a star again"

I mean, surely there are players out there who actually want to play and enjoy themselves rather than sitting around banking pay checks?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I obviously think its highly unlikely that we'll sign him, but at some point surely there will be a player out there in the world of football who thinks "OK so I'm earning 200 grand a week, but I'm barely playing, the manager's style isn't suiting me, my once-promising career is stagnating, I'm out of the national team and the game I used to love is not as much fun any more. I've banked £20 million pounds over the past two years, so why not drop down a little to a club that will play me, with a style that is exciting, a manager who is improving players left right and centre, and a team that wants to win things, and sure, I'll *only* earn £10m over the next two years rather than £20m, but thats worth it for potentially turning my career around and becoming a star again"

I mean, surely there are players out there who actually want to play and enjoy themselves rather than sitting around banking pay checks?
The logic of that is fine - the only problem is that anybody using that logic won't be a PL footballer! Their brains (and their agents') are wired differently!
I would do it, I'm sure you would too. But neither of us are eaning £300K a week! To some, it's about the status rather than the need for money - hence 'match highest earner' contracts (if any chairmen are still stupid enough to sign one). Even at a well run club with a team ethos like Brighton, if someone comes in earning £100K plus, you can bet your bottom dollat that several young millionaires will be in like Flynn to PB's office demanding a pay rise!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Would be a nice change, wouldn't it? Surely there comes a point when a player has banked enough silly money to keep them supported on a high quality lifestyle for the rest of their lives (assuming they manage the money well). At that point piling more onto the money mountain should surely take a back seat to getting the most out of the non-financial side of their career.

I suspect, in many respects, the problem is more about the agents. They want their own payday as well. I wonder how many players are out there who would have been willing to take a step down (financially) but were simply never told of the interest because of an agent filtering out those deals because they wanted a bigger payday.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was responding to a post where the author said "I don't want us spending 45m on anyone", "Lets keep being the team that develops 5m players and turn them into superstars". That was their point - not about the mundanity of salary amounts, but the morality of spending big.

I do think that it is simplistic to think that it is all about wages. Players developing a career want the international recognition that comes with player for their national side. That - in turn - usually depends on getting regular first-team football (I say usually, because Gareth Southgate bucks this trend by continuously picking players like Maguire and Phillips who have hardly started under their current club managers).

Someone like Jadon Sancho should put a value on first-team football, and that should come into the mix, otherwise he could be the next Jesse Lingard, benchwarming for Man Utd until his desire for another Ferrari exceeds his desire to play 90 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here