Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jack Hinshelwood [9/4/24: new deal to 2028]

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If it’s right backs and all are fit surely Veltman is first choice? Whilst I do admire Hinsh he’s still learning as a RB and has certainly made some mistakes in that position.
Hinshelwood is a better player than Veltman, but Veltman knows his own ability and how to play as a right back with those abilities. He won't try to get up the pitch as much as Hinsh, he won't try to make some of the passes Hinsh can make, because he can't.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The role of right back seems to be changing in the modern game and Hinsh seems to be perfect for the role. Jack's ability to move up the field and sneak into a good attacking position without seemingly being noticed is invaluable. Hinshelwood's positional sense in the box is sensational in my view. Add his passing ability that came with his CM upbringing to that mix and we have a very exciting prospect on our hands. I am very much looking forward to him developing next season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So exactly what the poster said then, this summer he will be going into the last year of his contract.
FWIW i think RDZ is quite a fan of Tariq and club will be looking to renew. As for what @Hiheidi meant - then i'll leave it for him to say. I was curious - so looked it up, wasn't trying to catch anyone out..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hinshelwood is a better player than Veltman, but Veltman knows his own ability and how to play as a right back with those abilities. He won't try to get up the pitch as much as Hinsh, he won't try to make some of the passes Hinsh can make, because he can't.
I have to respectfully say I do not agree with these comments at all :lolol:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have to respectfully say I do not agree with these comments at all :lolol:

absolutely. Veltman's quality In my opinion is still very underated by some

Hinshelwood has all the qualities mentioned and will only get better, but they are very different right backs.

Which is handy for us depending on the opposition.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
absolutely. Veltman's quality In my opinion is still very underated by some

Hinshelwood has all the qualities mentioned and will only get better, but they are very different right backs.

Which is handy for us depending on the opposition.
I am not underrating Veltman, just Hinshelwood has better passing ability, vision and can get up and down more. Up against a tricky winger, Veltman has the smarts and experience to better deal with them, by fair means or foul. If Hinshelwood were to become a rightback on a more permanent basis, he could learn a lot from than Veltman on the defensive aspects.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jimmy Grimble

The role of right back seems to be changing in the modern game and Hinsh seems to be perfect for the role. Jack's ability to move up the field and sneak into a good attacking position without seemingly being noticed is invaluable. Hinshelwood's positional sense in the box is sensational in my view. Add his passing ability that came with his CM upbringing to that mix and we have a very exciting prospect on our hands. I am very much looking forward to him developing next season.
Agreed. All the while this inverted full back trend is in, that’ll be Hinshelwood’s main position.

I would hope that he eventually transitions into a more central position, either deep or high, rather than into a standard right back. At the moment, he’s got work to do when it comes to patrolling tricky wingers.

Ultimately, I think he’ll be used as a utility player until he becomes too valuable in a set position, which could be a few years off yet.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
He played at RB because we didn’t have anyone else at the time…… :shrug:

You’d better tell web admin as well

But we have other players in our squad who could have played RB. Obviously RDZ saw something in Jack that he liked for that position (and he had played there in the pre-season).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But we have other players in our squad who could have played RB. Obviously RDZ saw something in Jack that he liked for that position (and he had played there in the pre-season).
He was with the first team from pre-season so had already been identified as ahead of his peers - his first full start was in midfield :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Veltman’s a brilliant defender who’s produced the goods for clubs and country for an age. So clever. Our best top flight RB this time around by a country mile.

Whilst JH appears to be the complete midfielder, who can fill in defensively. Loads more to come, his long passing is immense going by his (was it U18?) video clips.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
On the Lamptey thing, I wonder whether RdZ sees him as possibly a winger rather than a full back? He’s definitely been keen to push him into more forward positions recently I believe.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
On the Lamptey thing, I wonder whether RdZ sees him as possibly a winger rather than a full back? He’s definitely been keen to push him into more forward positions recently I believe.

Think that's because he pretty much only has one actual winger available! I expect to see Lamptey leave in the Summer, and a new RB come in. Hinshelwood will be a flexible option for a few positions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here