Ivor Caplin MP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
I am getting increasingly annoyed with this Blairite lapdog. I was very pleased in 1997 when he was elected in Hove with one of the biggest voting swings in history, I was even at the Town Hall on that night in May. With the Albion defying the odds and avoiding relegation at about the same time I hoped for a radical upturn in the Club's and the country's fortunes...... However, when I saw him milking the applause at Hereford I had an uneasy feeling, a feeling that hasn't dispelled itself.

His heady rise through the ranks of Government initially seemed to be the sign of a good, young politician but, as his cosying-up to Blair in the build up to and during the invasion of Iraq showed, it was the path of the 'yes' man.

All through the long, painful Falmer process he let people think that he had the ear of whoever was influential in the outcome, yet where has it got us??

Now his latest claim to 'fame' is the hijacking of the Water Bill with the fluoridisation amendment. This bill has many very useful reforms for the water companies but is now being used to legalise the poisoning of all our water supplies. Nice one, Mr. Caplin.

I look forward to the next Genreal Election so I can go to the Town Hall again, this time to see him booted out.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Hold on a minute ChutneyStirrer. I'm prepared to wait on the result of the Public Enquiry before berating the fella.

If we get the go-ahead then I will be a happy man with virtually everything in the World. If we get turned down, then I will be looking for a scapegoat, and after Two Jags himself, I will be gunning for Ivor.

As of now, I am happy in the belief that he does carry a certainly level of persuasive powers and that has to be good for our chances.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Stuart Munday said:
He is a arrogant twat

He may be an arrogant twat but at least the twat is on our side...just think how you'd feel if it was one of IDS's/SlapHead's/GreyUnderpantsMan's lacky followers/lapdogs. We wouldn't have a f***ing hope in hell of even thinking about Falmer, let alone have the plans taken to the final stages of a public enquiry. The one group that has held The Albion back for decades has been the NIMBY Tories and their supporters. If they had been in control of B&H Council we'd still be playing in f***ing Gillingham. I'd rather have Caplin (arrogant twat) than any Tory alternative thank you!

Last edited:

I'm Brian and so is my wife said:
He may be an arrogant twat but at least the twat is on our side...just think how you'd feel if it was one of IDS's/SlapHead's/GreyUnderpantsMan's lacky followers/lapdogs. We wouldn't have a f***ing hope in hell of even thinking about Falmer, let alone have the plans taken to the final stages of a public enquiry. The one group that has held The Albion back for decades has been the NIMBY Tories and their supporters. If they had been in control of B&H Council we'd still be playing in f***ing Gillingham. I'd rather have Caplin (arrogant twat) than any Tory alternative thank you!

Fair comment...He may have been programed to just say "yes Tony", but better than having one of the above.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
He is a Minister who sits on the Government front bench alongside Prescott, which will help us big time.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You have a valid point Chutney Stirrer but I'm with Brian and his wife. Caplin may be a bit of a twat but he's OUR twat. Like Gritty says if we fail then a lot of blood will be spilt .......

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Albionite83 said:
He is a Minister who sits on the Government front bench alongside Prescott, which will help us big time.

Great news, i had no idea.Another positive sign,w@nker or not,he likes his sport.

Anyone who supports cost effective public health improvements - like fluoride in water - should be praised not criticised.

This is another issue where opinionated, self-righteous, ill-informed, middle-class individuals think their "rights" should over-ride what's best for the vast majority.

If you're a NIMBY against Falmer, you're almost certainly against fluoride.

Ivor is right on both issues.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yes, for my MP, I'd really much rather have some pin-striped sinister aging neo-fascist with a prediliction for sado-masochism, young boys and pink gin (in reverse order of consumption) who thinks that football is a yobs game fit for only for subhuman scum and, even worse, foreigners.

If it wasn't for Labour, Withdean would never have been approved. No home, no championships and, by now, no more Albion.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Anyone who supports cost effective public health improvements - like fluoride in water - should be praised not criticised.

This is another issue where opinionated, self-righteous, ill-informed, middle-class individuals think their "rights" should over-ride what's best for the vast majority.

If you're a NIMBY against Falmer, you're almost certainly against fluoride.

Ivor is right on both issues.

Oooh Lord B, that's a bit "Nanny knows best" isn't it? Flouride is a by-product from the production of industrial aluminium. The aluminium industry needs somewhere to dump its waste and so it's decided to chuck it into our water using the slightly debatable grounds that it's 'good for our teeth' It may well give you dementia as well but at least you'll have your own gnashers.

I'm opposed to the compulsory floridisation of water and I'm certainly not opposed to Falmer. I have achieved middle-class status though, albeit only lower.

Brovian - Isn't a public sewerage system "a bit Nanny knows best"? Of course not.

Although it was a by-product of the iron industry - they used their excess capacity to make pipes which were then off-loaded on to local authorities who simply buried them underground on the spurious grounds that this would be "good for our health".

Completely unnecessary, because some people were capable of looking after their own health, thank you very much.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
I've heard bad things about flouride.Surely putting anything in water is bad?

ps afters: The residing govt always loses by-elections as little kicks up the arse from voters.Tony won't be bothered,as if the Lib-Dems or Tories will ever win.ha ha.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lord B, a sewage system is not quite the same thing! I can't believe you've made that comparison! Sewage is about taking stuff away, the same as refuse collection - not forcing you to ingest a substance that makes the MMR vaccine scare look like an old wives' tale.

I may be a bit of an old Luddite but I'm not 100% convinced of the benefits or the safety of something just because some ministry official says its the best thing. I feel a little bit the same way about Nuclear power and GM crops (two other things that are in our best interests apparently)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Must admit, my suspicion about Caplin is that he's always willing to give a little pro-Falmer soundbite and curry favour, but when push comes to shove and it means actually standing up and saying things that might be unpopular to achieve the stadium, he's ducked out. But that is a fairly uninformed hunch, and if it happens he should presumably take some of the praise. I'm sure he will take it, whether it's truly earned or not.

The MMR scare IS an old wives' tale.

And Tooting - Ivor might just be doing his good work behind the scenes. As a government minister, it is usually appropriate for a public silence to be kept, particularly when the issue in question is about influencing another government minister. To do otherwise exposes the club to accusations that "the government" has prejudged the outcome of a Public Inquiry before the Inspector has submitted his report to the Secretary of State.

That can be grounds for seeking judicial review - and helps only the antis.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
The MMR scare IS an old wives' tale.

And Tooting - Ivor might just be doing his good work behind the scenes. As a government minister, it is usually appropriate for a public silence to be kept, particularly when the issue in question is about influencing another government minister. To do otherwise exposes the club to accusations that "the government" has prejudged the outcome of a Public Inquiry before the Inspector has submitted his report to the Secretary of State.

That can be grounds for seeking judicial review - and helps only the antis.

Yup, can't argue with that and could well be the case. Let's hope so. But it would have been nice to have one MP, maybe one of the others, really putting their head above the parapet. The fact that he's in government and 'can't' doesn't make me feel any better about it.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Brovian said:

I may be a bit of an old Luddite but I'm not 100% convinced of the benefits or the safety of something just because some ministry official says its the best thing. I feel a little bit the same way about Nuclear power and GM crops (two other things that are in our best interests apparently)

I knew we could be friends Brovian.I have the same mistrust,not for any other reason other than they just don't know what they are doing.
These are the same people who've made me wait half my life before i can buy cheaper lager abroad,smoke dope in the privacy of my own home and drink in pubs until when i bloody well please.
They don't know whats best so ignore them.

(ps My suspicion is that GM crops are a good thing)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports