Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've just got rid of ALL my CDs

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I have a collection of about 2000 cds, 400 cassettes and 150 records. Plus about 130,000 mp3
Can't see me ever losing the hard copies though as I just feel it's a nice collection to have etc

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Right, I'm with you now. The sort of thing we took CDs in for the portable player on holiday. Worth thinking about - would save loads of room.

I used these for my classical CDs http://www.amazon.co.uk/CD-SLEEVES-100-DVD/dp/B000N8FIL0 You have to fold the back cover though to fit it in. Better than a wallet (in my view) as you can put them in boxes or a drawer, and flip through them like albums in a shop. Definitely saved space, but also harder to select a CD to play as you can't just quickly scan your eyes over the whole wall and say 'that one'. You either have to know what you're looking for first - or look through them all which takes time (same as with i-pods and so on I find). As a result, I'm not going to do the same for all my other CDs.

My Dad was the music librarian in Church Street for decades. When he got married in 1962 he bought a big boxy gramophone player, which we had in the house until I bought my first CD player from Slaters in Southwick in 1986 (to replace my crappy Amstrad tower thingy). My Dad never did anything in a rush - but to my amazement, he listened to one CD (Low Life by New Order - not really his 'thing', but I played him the quiet intro on my scratched vinyl version then the CD) and he said 'this is the best thing since stereo' and went out and bought a player the next day!

No subsequent change has had that impact in quality difference, and I'm not really a downloader / mobile phone user. So, I'll stick with my CDs - and still buy them now and then. Mind you, if I get a car with DAB in it - 6 music will probably take over from CDs on the way to work.

As to vinyl - still listen to it. Indeed, I have just listened to a vinyl album this morning. I still think the tones are deeper than on a CD.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I still have a cassette player in my van.
I go to the markets, buy a bag full of them for $5, ditch the crap and keep the good ones.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Seems to me that there are three groups here.

1) People who still listen - really listen - to their music and like to own it
2) People who don't listen to their music but still like to own it
3) People who don't have their own music and just tap into whatever they fancy or let the radio decide

I'm a 1) but also because I read the CD booklet from cover to cover and, if I have time, just reference it while I enjoy a first listen. I look to see who the musicians are, what instruments they are playing on the track, who the accompanying singers are and particularly who writes the songs. So often they are the same people, so I realise whose music I really like. However it often leads me to listen to other music by the writers or musicians. This had led me to new music and stopped my taste getting stale even if a discovery can lead me backwards.

Steve Earle led me to Townes Van Zandt and several related artists. His wife, Allison Moorer to sister Shelby Lynn. Mary Chapin Carpenter to Shawn Colvin. Even Robert Plant bounced me back to more interest in Buddy Miller and T Bone Burnett. Then I found T-Bone produced other albums I liked. The artists my favourite acts enjoy and cover are likely to acts I will like too. Their producers often produce other acts I like. Not sure how streaming fits with all that.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Despite the 'in-car entertainment' having an sd slot and hard drive it also has a 6 CD changer, so I still use mine.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm the opposite. I've found over time my music listening and gig going has intensified and is now a major part of my life where life decisions occur and friendships are made and strengthened. Holidays tend to take in a gig and friends visit and go to gigs.

I'm 47 and went to just over 40 gigs last year which is the most I've ever done, I still buy around 50 albums on CD and/vinyl a year and listen to 3 or 4 albums a day. I listen to new and old; for example I'm literally listening to the rather excellent new Bowie album now. I can't envisage this changing any time soon.

I use Spotify as a back up but my primary source is a physical purchase and the subsequent transfer to ipod when at work.

I trust you'll be buying "Jackboots On", the debut album by Bozza and the Mods, due out soon on the Licker label?

boik

It's not your standard summerhouse. Built it from scratch and it's fully insulated, slate roof etc. Stays cool in summer. Vinyl should be fine. We're certainly chilled when we're down there!

Edit: This is a reply about heat in the summerhouse where we keep the vinyl. Sorry.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I used these for my classical CDs http://www.amazon.co.uk/CD-SLEEVES-100-DVD/dp/B000N8FIL0 You have to fold the back cover though to fit it in. Better than a wallet (in my view) as you can put them in boxes or a drawer, and flip through them like albums in a shop. Definitely saved space, but also harder to select a CD to play as you can't just quickly scan your eyes over the whole wall and say 'that one'. You either have to know what you're looking for first - or look through them all which takes time (same as with i-pods and so on I find). As a result, I'm not going to do the same for all my other CDs.

My Dad was the music librarian in Church Street for decades. When he got married in 1962 he bought a big boxy gramophone player, which we had in the house until I bought my first CD player from Slaters in Southwick in 1986 (to replace my crappy Amstrad tower thingy). My Dad never did anything in a rush - but to my amazement, he listened to one CD (Low Life by New Order - not really his 'thing', but I played him the quiet intro on my scratched vinyl version then the CD) and he said 'this is the best thing since stereo' and went out and bought a player the next day!

Cheers. Don't often browse the physical CDs, so these could be packed away but accessible for the covers.

BTW, I used to work for Slaters ... a LONG time ago!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No still have all my CDs and still listen to albums rather than random tracks on line. As with others I like to have a physical collection. Although this makes it difficult when the wife complains that I already have enough CDs.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Still got hundreds of CDs but recently sold my vinyl and got rather a good deal for it.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I have hardly any cd's too now I use to have thousands of CD single for when I use to DJ ....but now it's all digital. I do have some albums on CD the ones that I just couldn't get rid of, but I rarely play then and they are stored away. The biggest collection of CD's that I have is my collection of mixmag CD's that comes free with each magazine, I have got pretty much everyone that has been produced, which I dip into now and then.

Just pre ordered the new Field Music album on vinyl from Rise in Bristol. The pre order includes a wristband to an in store gig.
This week I bought tickets for ATP Prestatyn and End of the Road festivals.
Currently listening to Timber Timbre 2011 album Creep on Creepin On on CD.
No matter how else my life changes at 47 Im still as into music as Ive ever been and see it as a massive positive in my life.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
3 years ago I sold every CD, bluray, DVD and book I owned to go digital. It felt incredibly cathartic, I still have friends who buy DVDs and I just do not understand it. It is just stuff that gets carted from place to place, left on a shelf and barely touched.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back in my youth, I used to listen to a lot of music but I can't remember the last time I put on a CD or listened to an album all the way through. I can't even be bothered with gigs.

Mostly I prefer peace and quiet at home, but if I want to listen to something I'll turn on 6 music or choose something at random on Spotify. I don't even use iTunes, so I've deleted all that.

So I've sold the last of my CDs to music magpie (while they're still worth something, if very little. Funnily enough, the CD worth the most was 'The Piranhas' (£3!).)

I have my old vinyl in the loft if I get a surge of nostalgia.

It feels strangely freeing. Anyone else found their music listening habits changing with age and technology?

What do you feel has contributed to your down-turn in interest?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I've listened to the new Bowie album, current Dan Deacon, current Panda Bear and Georgia debut today.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I like physically having CDs and vinyl, although everything we buy is immediately digitalised. In addition, not everything I own is available on Apple Music or Spotify, and I also get annoyed by the Apple cloud substituting different versions of songs I own when I try to play things sometimes. Don't use Netflix because the range of films they provide doesn't coincide with my taste in films - have to use Lovefilm by post for that. Only buy DVDs if they're less than £5. Also live in the country, so internet connection can be variable - I can't rely on streaming alone.

Lush

Mods' Pet
What do you feel has contributed to your down-turn in interest?

Not sure really. I used to enjoy music when I was in my teens/early twenties, but it was a much to do with 'being cool' and the image that goes with the music as anything. I no longer feel that need :)

I like music with a groove, and used to like mod/punk/soul gigs where you could dance around, but that doesn't happen any more :). Some music still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, but it's a five minute experience, not an hour or so.

Sometimes I follow a link to something on You Tube or Spotify, but only give it about a minute to engage me, before I jump to something else.

There are also things I'd rather do rather than actively listen to music - like read or mess about on the internet. If I have music on in the background while I'm doing something else, I'm not really listening to it and eventually find it annoying.

Occasionally I hear about 'an exciting new band' so I go and have a listen and read what they 'have to say'. Inevitably it's nothing new and they sound so deadly serious about putting a few notes and words together.

Getting old and cynical I guess.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
This thread inspired me to put all my CDs on magpie - most expensive. . . Seagulls Ska, £3! Use Spotify, and have all CDs on iTunes so been meaning to purge for a long time. . . .dvd's next!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here