Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ivan Toney racially abused [online, not by an Albion fan]

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Head in the sand. You let these tossers do this on line and next thing is that they’ll be saying down the pub and at footy games.
But theyre not are they? Least not in pubs or footy grounds I frequent. Which is testimony to how improved things are. But good luck with clearing up the entire internet and social media. Don’t forget, there are nearly 200 countries and 8 billion people to get round to your way of thinking. Alternatively, the offer to ignore or turnoff your Twitter account is still there. I know which I’d be choosing, whilst enjoying my mega stardom and all the trappings it provides!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But theyre not are they? Least not in pubs or footy grounds I frequent. Which is testimony to how improved things are. But good luck with clearing up the entire internet and social media. Don’t forget, there are nearly 200 countries and 8 billion people to get round to your way of thinking. Alternatively, the offer to ignore or turnoff your Twitter account is still there. I know which I’d be choosing, whilst enjoying my mega stardom and all the trappings it provides!
You don’t see it so it doesn’t happen?

There’s many a case in the courts where assault, harassment etc are uplifted for homophobic, or racist abuse. It doesn’t stop online.
Yes, the internet needs cleaning up, and just ignoring it doesn’t help. Bringing it into the open, getting prosecuted does help.
You might as well ignore any crime because ‘it’s impossible to stop it’.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
They are. the number of incidents at games as well as arrests have increased in the last few years.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They are. the number of incidents at games as well as arrests have increased in the last few years.
Surprised. What we’re the number of arrests for racism (only) year on year then?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You don’t see it so it doesn’t happen?

There’s many a case in the courts where assault, harassment etc are uplifted for homophobic, or racist abuse. It doesn’t stop online.
Yes, the internet needs cleaning up, and just ignoring it doesn’t help. Bringing it into the open, getting prosecuted does help.
You might as well ignore any crime because ‘it’s impossible to stop it’.
Again, impractical factless argument. You’re living in a utopian parallel if you believe globally online abuse can be stopped. You’re really struggling to understand it’s impossible to stop people from other countries and cultures different to ours from writing online abuse, never mind ours. How do you arrest someone in Libya or China for sending a racist remark via a Tweet to an English PL player for example? Hence my sensible practical suggestion, if I were him, to switch off. Your suggestion is to take on the world. Well, as said to others, good luck with that…let me know how you get on. 200 countries and 8 billion to get round so you’d better crack on. The goal is to get them to all see the world in your eyes remember. Or you leave the chance one of them might send an offensive online comment to you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Again, impractical factless argument. You’re living in a utopian parallel if you believe globally online abuse can be stopped. You’re really struggling to understand it’s impossible to stop people from other countries and cultures different to ours from writing online abuse, never mind ours. How do you arrest someone in Libya or China for sending a racist remark via a Tweet to an English PL player for example? Hence my sensible practical suggestion, if I were him, to switch off. Your suggestion is to take on the world. Well, as said to others, good luck with that…let me know how you get on. 200 countries and 8 billion to get round so you’d better crack on. The goal is to get them to all see the world in your eyes remember. Or you leave the chance one of them might send an offensive online comment to you.
There has already been a conviction in Singapore of a teenager posting a death threat to Maupay. Nobody is pretending it can be wiped out completely but each conviction prevents worse happening.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surprised. What we’re the number of arrests for racism (only) year on year then?
Instead of asking questions on NSC and denying the answers, send a FOI request to Sussex Police.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There has already been a conviction in Singapore of a teenager posting a death threat to Maupay. Nobody is pretending it can be wiped out completely but each conviction prevents worse happening.
Was waiting for you to post the Singapore conviction as proof that 1 in hundreds of thousands of examples means it can be stopped. It can’t, and it’s easier to switch off than rail against. Have you ever been to Singapore?!!! You’re less certain to be convicted in this country! Singapore will hands down be the first country to introduce Minority Report justice :lolol:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Here you go. No. hate crimes per year. it doesn’t include GMP. the data is from Gov.UK.

2814AE86-F7E7-49D3-A6F5-A6DF1DBA56A5.png

Attachments

• C048F44B-B0AB-4FA7-838B-C08C8965F094.png
    C048F44B-B0AB-4FA7-838B-C08C8965F094.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 15

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Instead of asking questions on NSC and denying the answers, send a FOI request to Sussex Police.
What a weird comment. Our Police are stretched beyond belief, and someone on here has the information to hand and yet you think it easier to bother the authorities? Unless of course, you’re just making it up. Which your touchy reply suggests…

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
What a weird comment. Our Police are stretched beyond belief, and someone on here has the information to hand and yet you think it easier to bother the authorities? Unless of course, you’re just making it up. Which your touchy reply suggests…
I’ve provided data from the government regards increase in hates crimes, 40k in 2013 upto 110k in 2021. Care to provide data that backs up your point.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Here you go. No. hate crimes per year. it doesn’t include GMP. the data is from Gov.UK.

View attachment 152873
Thank you, is that a) in football b) racist ‘hate’ crime? That was what I was commenting on and believed we were discussing. Those are the stats I’m specifically interested in because I just don’t hear or see racism following the Albion (or at other PL and NL games I attend) when once it was common. Hence surprised by people saying it’s so prevalent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was waiting for you to post the Singapore conviction as proof that 1 in hundreds of thousands of examples means it can be stopped. It can’t, and it’s easier to switch off than rail against. Have you ever been to Singapore?!!! You’re less certain to be convicted in this country! Singapore will hands down be the first country to introduce Minority Report justice :lolol:
You weren’t disappointed then. Congratulations.
Sussex police also visited a youth in Croydon who was let off after a talk on racism by our Police Liaison officer.
FOI requests are handled by admin.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve provided data from the government regards increase in hates crimes, 40k in 2013 upto 110k in 2021. Care to provide data that backs up your point.
With respect, I was replying to TBs separate pithy remark. I’m replying to you separately, so let’s not confuse. See my questions about the stats (plus thanks for providing)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You weren’t disappointed then. Congratulations.
Sussex police also visited a youth in Croydon who was let off after a talk on racism by our Police Liaison officer.
FOI requests are handled by admin.
I contraire, I was hoping you’d be less predictable! :guns:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The best deterrent to racism at matches or even online is to deal with it ourselves. I’d happily grass up any racist at a match.

This was February this year.
Better. And I heartedly agree. My point is still, it doesn’t happen on anywhere near the scale it once did. Hundreds used to chant or shout racist obscenities. I’d be amazed if numbers are higher at football matches than decades ago, and haven’t shown a dramatic improvement. That based on being behind goal at Goldstone, Priest and Amex, (supposedly where the louts are and everyone would point a finger); 12 seasons at Withdean in the South on half way line; and frequently standing near or amongst rougher elements of our away support numerous times over last 30+ years. In fact, in all time been at Withdean and Amex, I’ve never heard racist directed at any player. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, as you prove. But I’d be staggered if it’s on the rise at actual football matches because nobody behaves that way anymore. Nobody chants or shouts racist remarks at players. Abuse, yes, that’s rife still and also subjective eg if you tell an away player to feck off when goading us as he wheels away in celebration of scoring a goal, is that abuse? Or ‘fair game’ and just swearing? Equally, should you be thrown out because I hear hundreds of examples of swearing at football and I rarely see fans thrown out for it. We’ve all stood near the C Bomber who needlessly and frequently lobs his potty remarks with brazen aplomb.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Thank you, is that a) in football b) racist ‘hate’ crime? That was what I was commenting on and believed we were discussing. Those are the stats I’m specifically interested in because I just don’t hear or see racism following the Albion (or at other PL and NL games I attend) when once it was common. Hence surprised by people saying it’s so prevalent.
I cant find any specific data however an Increase of 70k cases over 8 years in the general populous would I suspect be reflected in football. Now care to provide evidence to back up your argument or are you going to base it on your experience only.?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here