Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV sport......SHIT!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Would not of happened on Sky .

SKY missed the last ball of the innnings in an ODI involving England and someone... Can't remember who off hand. They disappeared off to an advert break after the fall of a wicket and then returned to see all the players walking off. It was only a leg bye, but still...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's worse than when they cut off the final few laps of the F1 during the San Marino Grand Prix in 2005. That was shameful, but this is just a f***ing joke.

Editorial decision which they can be completely blamed for.

.. but as for last night, the majority of people are barking up the wrong tree.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Did anyone else notice that they changed the format of the picture after the final whistle. I watched 120 minutes of football on 4:3 ratio, for them to suddenly turn it to widescreen AFTER the ruddy game had finished :angry:

They probably bought the coverage off another provider who, for some surreal reason, only had a 4:3 setup for the SD downmix. Why on earth anyone would do that I dunno; but it likely wasn't ITV filming the game to begin with.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They probably bought the coverage off another provider who, for some surreal reason, only had a 4:3 setup for the SD downmix. Why on earth anyone would do that I dunno; but it likely wasn't ITV filming the game to begin with.

To be honest, I'd think the aspect ratio problem would have been wrapped up with whatever was happening at the playout centre.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not only having to put up the rubbish on here (only joking) and the rubbish I read written on this, I found surprisingly a very good summing up on (believe it or not) the Daily Mail website.

I couldn't quite believe something I read in a newspaper today about the "cameras missing the goal...".

Anyway, pretty much wraps up my view and I suspect tells the whole story.

ITV executive chairman Michael Grade called it 'an unprecedented technical error'. Error, that is. Not fault. You can safely assume someone got a coating for this because, while it was human error, it was definitely their fault.

If the gallery in the OB truck at Goodison Park had open talkback to Technicolour Network Services, to whom ITV outsource their transmission operation, it would have been filled with industrial language. The cause we now know was the premature triggering of an automated system for cueing commercial breaks. With the game deep into extra time, a recalculation of the programme's original running order must already have been made. If only the breaks had been switched from automatic to manual.

Working in a transmission room is TV without glamour. The inhabitants are tasked with keeping a schedule running seamlessly. Do a good job and no one notices. Mess up and you could take a programme off air. Or miss a crucial goal.

With communication with the ITV regions also needed and - with the news looming - ITN in Holborn, it is also a workplace which requires a steady nerve. The ensuing problems smacked of increasing chaos, capped by a sight of the usually hidden on-air clock ahead of the News at 10. A bad night for Liverpool.
An even worse one for ITV.

The broadcast view: A bad night for Liverpool ... an even worse one for ITV | Mail Online

The bit I've highlighted is pretty much spot on.

Sorry if I've sounded patronising about this issue, but if you are a fireman, publican, city worker, policeman, railway worker, football coach whatever.... and you read posts frankly spouting complete and utter tosh about something you know a little about, well you feel the need to reply.

I hope people get the point that although we know ITVs coverage of the FA Cup has been frankly bollocks this year, the once in a blue moon circumstances last night had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Living near the Leeds transmitter, I was lucky enough to see the goal I sat through two hours of toss for - just. Shit game, compounded by ITV's proof (once more) that they are not competent enough to be broadcasting domestic competitive football

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Living near the Leeds transmitter, I was lucky enough to see the goal I sat through two hours of toss for - just. Shit game, compounded by ITV's proof (once more) that they are not competent enough to be broadcasting domestic competitive football

:shrug:

.. and so it goes on :lol:

What the f*** is wrong with people in this country. Was it the death of Diana that kicked it all off ?

"Shit game, compounded..." ... was that ITVs fault as well. ? Not competent to broadcast domestic football, but are they ok to carry on with the champions league ?

Something very very weird is happening in the UK. I'd like to say we are moving towards a blame culture, but I think we are already there.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
:shrug:

.. and so it goes on :lol:

What the f*** is wrong with people in this country. Was it the death of Diana that kicked it all off ?

On what grounds exactly do you disagree?

ITV is the brand that the product, the programme, goes out on. If any company they hire to provide the service screw up, it is ITV's fault. That is how business works.

They screwed up. Again. They have been showing live domestic competitive football for a total of, what, 12 months combined? And they completely messed it up. Now look at Sky and BBC's record.

The facts speak for themselves. ITV f***ed up big time and will pay for it - they will be working really, really hard every day now to restore backers confidence.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On what grounds exactly do you disagree?

ITV is the brand that the product, the programme, goes out on. If any company they hire to provide the service screw up, it is ITV's fault. That is how business works.

They screwed up. Again. They have been showing live domestic competitive football for a total of, what, 12 months combined? And they completely messed it up. Now look at Sky and BBC's record.

The facts speak for themselves. ITV f***ed up big time and will pay for it - they will be working really, really hard every day now to restore backers confidence.

OK - honest question, if the same had happened on the BBC or SKY would you feel the same ?

I'd also like to you (in your own understanding of how these things work) explain why this was unlikely to happen on the other networks, which you appear to be implying.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
OK - honest question, if the same had happened on the BBC or SKY would you feel the same ?

I'd also like to you (in your own understanding of how these things work) explain why this was unlikely to happen on the other networks, which you appear to be implying.

First question - yes, absolutely. To watch nearly an entire game and for that to happen, followed by two mumbled apologies from the host.. pretty dire, to be honest with you. The same would apply if I were watching a crime thriller, or my favourite comedy, or an action movie - on any channel.

I am not implying these things don't happen on other networks. They do. Only a few months ago, my girlfriend was watching "The Paul O'Grady Show" on Channel 4 because a singer she likes was on, and it cut out mid-interview and showed a basic "BT error" screen.

What I am saying is this particular incident is, and would be, an embarrassment if it were the BBC who hired that third party company, or Sky, or Setanta! Unfortunately, it was ITV, and because of their lack of experience, and general poor production values since they began broadcasting live domestic football (widely acknowledged by the media, and many viewers alike), it is even more disappointing.

The handling of the garbled apology for "anybody out there who may have missed the deciding goal" did somewhat sum up things - a bit half-arsed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
First question - yes, absolutely. To watch nearly an entire game and for that to happen, followed by two mumbled apologies from the host.. pretty dire, to be honest with you. The same would apply if I were watching a crime thriller, or my favourite comedy, or an action movie - on any channel.

I am not implying these things don't happen on other networks. They do. Only a few months ago, my girlfriend was watching "The Paul O'Grady Show" on Channel 4 because a singer she likes was on, and it cut out mid-interview and showed a basic "BT error" screen.

What I am saying is this particular incident is, and would be, an embarrassment if it were the BBC who hired that third party company, or Sky, or Setanta! Unfortunately, it was ITV, and because of their lack of experience, and general poor production values since they began broadcasting live domestic football (widely acknowledged by the media, and many viewers alike), it is even more disappointing.

The handling of the garbled apology for "anybody out there who may have missed the deciding goal" did somewhat sum up things - a bit half-arsed.

I think we've been spoilt by the BBC coverage to be honest, although in ITVs defence (much quoted above...) they are working under very very different pressures.

I'll reiterate that last nights f*** up wasn't the fault of ITV, but I think we can all agree that the BBC are much much better at doing the FA Cup.

The FA Cup is a national institution and it's only correct that another national institution should be given the exclusive rights to cover it.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think we've been spoilt by the BBC coverage to be honest, although in ITVs defence (much quoted above...) they are working under very very different pressures.

I'll reiterate that last nights f*** up wasn't the fault of ITV, but I think we can all agree that the BBC are much much better at doing the FA Cup.

The FA Cup is a national institution and it's only correct that another national institution should be given the exclusive rights to cover it.

Agreed 100%.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Living over here, I am spared ITV's inadequacies and so saw the goal - I was actually looking foward to a penalty shoot-out...

Mind you, the German commentator wasn't great. As the camera picked out John Aldridge and Alan Hansen, he told us viewers that we were looking at Ian Rush and Kevin Ratcliffe:down:

What word would Hansen use to being mistaken for Ratcliffe? Woeful? Shocking?

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Editorial decision which they can be completely blamed for.

.. but as for last night, the majority of people are barking up the wrong tree.

The fault was a technical one from ITV. The automatic system which decides when the breaks are during prime time TV had a fault which resulted in the ad breaks bring switched on during the match.

Therefore it is the fault of ITV rather than the company that it bought the coverage from.

It may not have been a deliberate fault by ITV, but it was still their fault.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It continues...

At the end of the James Bond film on ITV1 yesterday, the announcer said “Next Sunday, we have live FA Cup Fifth Round action between Manchester United and the winner of the Derby versus Nottingham Forest replay...”

:thud:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here