Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ITV 4 Big match revisited

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just caught up with that game. My god wasn't Ward good. Anyway, this was my seat in 1972
My seat.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

If you really want a case of collusion in Albion matches then take a look at the Albion draw with Rochdale in 1972. One of the Albion players admitted since that instructions went out to both teams to cease and desist.
Agreed. The last 15/20 minutes of that game made the infamous West Germany v Austria match in 1982 look like an Old Firm match. Everyone remarked on it. (My first Albion promotion though, so I have happy memories of it)

Like yourself and others, much as I'd like to play the victim I don't believe the Saints v Spurs game was a stich-up, and certainly not a case of pre-meditated collusion. The fact that a draw suited both sides and ultimately they settled for it isn't the same thing as saying it was 'fixed'. People will believe what they want to believe though, and it's become part of our folklore.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Agreed. The last 15/20 minutes of that game made the infamous West Germany v Austria match in 1982 look like an Old Firm match. Everyone remarked on it. (My first Albion promotion though, so I have happy memories of it)

Like yourself and others, much as I'd like to play the victim I don't believe the Saints v Spurs game was a stich-up, and certainly not a case of pre-meditated collusion. The fact that a draw suited both sides and ultimately they settled for it isn't the same thing as saying it was 'fixed'. People will believe what they want to believe though, and it's become part of our folklore.
I'm sure something would have been said independently about the Southampton match by now. But the Spurs fans theory, especially from witnesses at the game, seems plausible. They were animals and I wouldn't have wanted to be the Southampton player who scored the winning goal that day.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Always fun in the 60s because you could watch from behind the goal from either end and swap at half time. South terrace often flooded so wellies needed in winter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here