Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It’s time to reform the league structure.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
There have been many changes to the league structure over the years. The top division reducing down to 20 team. The 1981 proposal for 3 points per win instead of 2 in English Football League by Jimmy Hill and Sir Bruce Forsyth. I think with VAR and modern football going the way it is with computers, it’s time for another.

The ranking system used for the league is based on points. Teams drawing on points then rank on goal difference. This is only a purely objective approach based on results though. It should also factor in how well a team plays. If a team gets an .XG for goals they could have scored over 1, they should get an additional point. .XG of 2 will be 2 bonus points etc. It’ll be so much fun to see teams draw 4-4 but end up on more than just 1 solidarity point when Burnley can get 3 (THREE!!) points for a laboured 1-0 ‘victory’ with just one deflected shot on target.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
There have been many changes to the league structure over the years. The top division reducing down to 20 team. The 1981 proposal for 3 points per win instead of 2 in English Football League by Jimmy Hill and Sir Bruce Forsyth. I think with VAR and modern football going the way it is with computers, it’s time for another.

The ranking system used for the league is based on points. Teams drawing on points then rank on goal difference. This is only a purely objective approach based on results though. It should also factor in how well a team plays. If a team gets an .XG for goals they could have scored over 1, they should get an additional point. .XG of 2 will be 2 bonus points etc. It’ll be so much fun to see teams draw 4-4 but end up on more than just 1 solidarity point when Burnley can get 3 (THREE!!) points for a laboured 1-0 ‘victory’ with just one deflected shot on target.

Why does it have to factor in how well a team plays? I personally think the league format is fine. There's plenty of things wrong with football and plenty of things I'd sort out first before tinkering with the league format. Just my opinion though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
E3C4A2D8-3AE6-4D17-AFA3-7F7451085B37.jpeg

:lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The ranking system used for the league is based on points. Teams drawing on points then rank on goal difference. This is only a purely objective approach based on results though. It should also factor in how well a team plays. If a team gets an .XG <snip>

Let me stop you there.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Just reflecting on this idea a bit, I actually think this would make the premier league even more unfair on the teams with less money. Because obviously the likes of Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool are likely to batter a lot of the teams around them. Teams on the lower end of the income bracket do generally have to be more defensive. Clubs with bigger investment, who can afford high quality attacking players will essentially be rewarded with more points because they can literally afford to be more attacking. Essentially I think this strengthens the argument for "buying success".

el punal

And the three teams that are bottom on the first of April should be relegated. :drink:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This would just encourage shite teams to just start shooting from anywhere...

Bissouma would be like a cat on a hot tin roof.....

Nice wind up though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's 10:46 and I've come off Twitter and onto here simply to get away from utterly shit April Fools jokes. Looks like I'll have to do some work instead*.

*April fools. :jester:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Just reflecting on this idea a bit, I actually think this would make the premier league even more unfair on the teams with less money. Because obviously the likes of Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool are likely to batter a lot of the teams around them. Teams on the lower end of the income bracket do generally have to be more defensive. Clubs with bigger investment, who can afford high quality attacking players will essentially be rewarded with more points because they can literally afford to be more attacking. Essentially I think this strengthens the argument for "buying success".

But we need to reward sexier football. It’s our future generation’s game to nurture. If we play our cards right you can bet that the quality of football should improve the league and even England’s chances at winning a major tournament. Might as well beat the clock on other nations who could do the same.

As for teams having more financial resources, as long as the price is right I’m sure other teams can attract positive players too.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
But we need to reward sexier football. It’s our future generation’s game to nurture. If we play our cards right you can bet that the quality of football should improve the league and even England’s chances at winning a major tournament. Might as well beat the clock on other nations who could do the same.

As for teams having more financial resources, as long as the price is right I’m sure other teams can attract positive players too.

:clap::clap::clap:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I definitely think football matches need a judging panel. You can still count the goals, if you must, but league points will be awarded by the judging panel. They'll be looking at things like possession, passes (quality and quantity), lack of fouls, hairstyles, kit design, player interactions with the crowd, walk-on music, quality of the PA announcements, graphics on the big screens, you know, the really important stuff.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Didn't he do well!?!

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

Alright, alright, I forgot what day it was. You got me with that one :)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
On a more serious note to the league structure, shouldn't we return to the days of North & South rather than leagues 1 & 2. The up side of this would be a lot less travelling for both the players and supporters. The down side being relegation. Now, a team in L1 are safe as they can only drop to L2, but with North & South a club from both leagues would drop out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here