Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It’s Only The Fans That Are Loyal

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Thing is, when a manager is underperforming, most football fans want their manager sacked. And at most clubs these managers are sacked, quite frequently.
Same thing goes for players. They are dropped, loaned out, transferred out, etc.
Football fans (and Chairmans) are not particularly loyal to employees/individuals, so you can understand why they may not be terribly loyal themselves.

It's like when the company or corporation you work for says "we are a family". No you're not. When I'm going through a bad time my family is there for me. At work, if I underperform I'll probably get the sack.
It's a job.
That's not to say Potter won't have feelings for the club. I've worked at companies with teams of people that I absolutely adored and have wonderful memories, and am very proud of the work I did.

The timing of his departure was bloody awful but it was an opportunity that was unlikely to wait for him.

Now I'm just glad we've got a little breathing space to bring in the right man and backroom staff. I'm hopeful. And I think our team is choc full of talent.

Last edited:

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Over the last few turbulent days I would imagine most Albion fans have gone through the whole gamut of emotions - shock, disbelief, anger, betrayal, sadness and more. For me the whole episode is still raw. I have tried to put on my ‘let’s be realistic, these things happen’ face, the acceptance default mode, and it’s not working.

All I keep thinking about it is the euphoria of a week ago when we trounced Leicester 5-2, in the top four, and all the accolades that went with it - best run club in the Premier League, superb management and coaching, recruitment is amazing blah! blah! Then the bombshell.

I have now come to the conclusion, and to be honest it’s always been there, is that the only loyal people in football are us, the magnificent, hard done by, much maligned, disregarded fans. Everyone else moves on to pastures new, be it for the Judas thirty pieces of silver, a step up on the career ladder or a step down in football oblivion. They’ve moved on, we haven’t.

I am now hoping that my mood will change once Tony Bloom and Paul Barber have appointed a new coaching team and that some sense of normality returns to our wonderful club. Keep the faith and all that - up the Albion!

Immaterial..............how many local managers have we had recently.........the supporters are mainly Sussex born and bred, but can't recall a Sussex born manager in the modern era..............could be wrong , of course

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well, yeah. Bit bloody obvious really. I used to think a club was the ground. In our case the Goldstone Ground. We lost that and it turned out I was just as happy to follow the team at Gillingham, Withdean, the Amex and now a few aways and on tv. At no point did I think my support depended upon or was in any way linked with players or managers.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Over the last few turbulent days I would imagine most Albion fans have gone through the whole gamut of emotions - shock, disbelief, anger, betrayal, sadness and more. For me the whole episode is still raw. I have tried to put on my ‘let’s be realistic, these things happen’ face, the acceptance default mode, and it’s not working.

All I keep thinking about it is the euphoria of a week ago when we trounced Leicester 5-2, in the top four, and all the accolades that went with it - best run club in the Premier League, superb management and coaching, recruitment is amazing blah! blah! Then the bombshell.

I have now come to the conclusion, and to be honest it’s always been there, is that the only loyal people in football are us, the magnificent, hard done by, much maligned, disregarded fans. Everyone else moves on to pastures new, be it for the Judas thirty pieces of silver, a step up on the career ladder or a step down in football oblivion. They’ve moved on, we haven’t.

I am now hoping that my mood will change once Tony Bloom and Paul Barber have appointed a new coaching team and that some sense of normality returns to our wonderful club. Keep the faith and all that - up the Albion!

All 100% of fans of a team are always 100% loyal?

So you never see anyone change their allegiance to whoever is currently the best club out there (for example, plenty wore Blackburn shirts when they won the league, only to be in Man u shirts a short while later once they won the league)

We used to get up to 36k at the Goldstone ground, yet a few years later, once we had and got rid of the old, hated board and Dick Knight had arrived and taken over to help save us, we struggled to get 2k at Gillingham? Where were the loyal fans then?

If disaster strikes, and for whatever reason we end up dropping back down to League 1 or 2, will we still sell out every game?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fitting a kitchen isn’t too bad, it becomes an issue when changing a customer’s toilet over and someone needs one. :lolol:

Many years ago I knew a builder who had his boy working with him and the unfortunate lad was -‘as we would now say -‘on the spectrum. He was pestering his dad and telling pops that he needed to go and his old man told him to clear off and just go because he was dealing with the kitchen and bathroom people in Colliers - the posh shop in Worthing. Well he did go but in the unplumbed display pan near the shop window. I still remember his dad telling me about it in his broad Irish accent..
Ps … it was a sit down jobby.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don’t see the Swedish lad should necessarily be banned. It’s not his fault because he wouldn’t understand about a fans unrequited love for one’s team which can quite honestly sometimes not really equate with any other ways in life
It’s been quite a difficult week hasn’t it ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Many years ago I knew a builder who had his boy working with him and the unfortunate lad was -‘as we would now say -‘on the spectrum. He was pestering his dad and telling pops that he needed to go and his old man told him to clear off and just go because he was dealing with the kitchen and bathroom people in Colliers - the posh shop in Worthing. Well he did go but in the unplumbed display pan near the shop window. I still remember his dad telling me about it in his broad Irish accent..
Ps … it was a sit down jobby.

:lolol:
I’m sure it must happen with kids in B&Q

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's Bruno who has broken my heart and my faith in human character. ( Ben Roberts as well, a little ).
Of all the people in the world I would have thought would have turned down the temptation of even bigger money it was Bruno. He was revered in Brighton. His family is completely settled here. He seemed the sort of person to understand that when it comes to money, enough is a feast.

I now know that absolutely everyone has a price at which they can be bought.

I am surprised you have come to that conclusion basis the departure of Bruno. Surely there are plenty of real world examples in your life. There have been a few in mine. Your expectations of Bruno were unrealistically high.

Ps More generally and not specific to your post I’ve had a few run ins with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] but think he is a valuable member of NSC.

Last edited:

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I am surprised you have come to that conclusion basis the departure of Bruno. Surely there are plenty of real world examples in your life. There have been a few in mine. Your expectations of Bruno were unrealistically high.

Ps More generally and not specific to your post I’ve had a few run ins with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] but think he is a valuable member of NSC.

I had a few personal interactions with Bruno. From those and everything I saw of him in public I formed that opinion of him. Clearly, as you say and what has been difficult to accept, that opinion was unrealistic. And no, I can't think of a situation in my life when I have felt so let down by someone I felt highly of.

PS. I've never commented on here about Swansman, but I completely agree with you. I often enjoy his perspective and his football knowledge.

Average Seagull

Sep 10, 2022
Washington DC
When I first met my brother-in-law he was a Millwall fan, next time I met him he was an Arsenal fan. So sometimes fans can be disloyal knobheads too.

Or maybe I just had a negative opinion of the guy because he was a Londoner and married my sister.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here