Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] It's Not you, Its Me Musical Blind Spots

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Music is an oddity for me. I can argue in an empty room about most things but music never gets my goat. If I don’t like something I just move on. If someone else likes or dislikes something I don’t, no problem. I’m of view that all music is valid.

Agree with this. You can’t talk somebody out of liking something. Whatever gets someone going is all good.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Artists that started after 2005 or so. I dont know anything about them but it seems like all music recent music is shit.

Historically... I dont listen to Elvis Presley. Did anyone ever meet someone who actively llistened to Elvis Presley?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Artists that started after 2005 or so. I dont know anything about them but it seems like all music recent music is shit.

Historically... I dont listen to Elvis Presley. Did anyone ever meet someone who actively llistened to Elvis Presley?

:facepalm:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I like a bit of good ol’ rock n roll, but hate Bruce Springsteen with a passion, not sure why, but maybe it’s the “Boss” tag line that annoys me..

I’m not unhappy when a folksy, protesty type singer comes on the radio, but immediately switch off if it’s Bob Dylan!

Other than that not too many problems with anyone else, oh apart from Drake, WTF is that all about?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's Super Furry Animals.

And you, sir, have serious problems with your listening appreciation which are clearly not being helped by your predilection for Bulgarian Death Disco.

I'll make a confession. All the artists on my list I have heard and dislike apart from two. These two have names I dislike and when I have seen clips I haven't liked the look of them. As in the tradition of this thread, no special reason, no explanation. But I have never actually heard either. 'SFA', as they are affectionately not known, are one. The other is Biffy Clyro. Just typing the latter sets my teeth on edge. And edgy teeth is low on my list of dental aspirations.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Wow. I am quite surprised. You are a latterday version of my dad (whose interest in New Music ended with George Formby). :eek:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Roger Waters. I like Pink Floyd. A lot. About 1/3 of my physical music collection. Songs selected for my funeral. That much. I've seen Nick's band. I have Dave's, Rick's, Syd's and Nick's solo albums. I own a surround sound system just to listen to their 5.1 releases.

But Roger? No. I try repeatedly but his solo stuff leaves me stone cold.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I agree with many of the above such as The Fall, Pixies etc. but I also feel the need to add:

Sparks - weird beyond belief

Talking Heads - as above.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Wow. I am quite surprised. You are a latterday version of my dad (whose interest in New Music ended with George Formby). :eek:
I hope no-one is going seriously suggest adding George Formby to the list. When I'm Cleaning Windows is one of the all time classics!

As for the King, he may not be fashionable, but I think much of his music has stood the test of time.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Queen (after the first album)
Bob Dylan
Beatles
Stones (after Aftermath)
Springsteen (after Born to Run)
Lene Lovich
Grateful Dead
Iron Maiden
INXS
Yes
ELO
The Dead Kennedy's
Weezer
Ash
Biffy Clyro
Diana Ross
Superfurry Animals
Blur
Freddy and the Dreamers
Robert Miles
Taj Mahal
Elton John (after GYBR)
Patty Smith (after Easter)
Young Marble Giants
Twisted Sister
The Byrds
Jefferson Airplane
Iron Butterfly
Supertramp (after COTC)
My Bloody Valentine
Ian Gillan Band
Fairport Convention
Renaissance
The Who (with a few exceptions)
Lou Reed (with a few exceptions)
Slint
Stone the Crows
The Stone Roses
Phil Collins
Cliff Richard
Dolly Parton
Suzi Quatro
Grand Funk Railroad
CSS
Chicago
The Everly Brothers
Them
Taste
The Boomtown Rats
Link Wray
Stevie Wonder
Traffic (with a few exceptions)
The Yardbirds
Green Day
Black Flag

I could go on....

Abba

Opinionated and intolerant, not a nice combination. Now, about your choices above……..

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
My list is not so much acts that annoy me, but more acts I SHOULD like but just can't get into despite trying numerous times;

The Pixies - Watched them from side stage at a festival in Denmark - never seen such a passionate crowd, screaming along with every lyric like their lives depended on it. Always left me cold, can't explain why.

Nick Cave - I know he's really good. I do like 2-3 of his songs. Tried Abattoir Blues - got bored after 3-4 songs.

Kanye West - Bit of a controversial one but so many people - who's music taste I respect/generally agree with - absolutely rave about a number of his albums.

Bob Dylan - Clearly a genius, but again not actually that much of his sticks with me.

The Who - I know this will irk some, but I find them UNBELIEVABLY overrated. Suspect it was a bit of a "you had to be there" thing. Entwistle is a phenomenal bassist though, obvs.

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of... is one of the worst-produced albums I've ever heard. Cheesy drum loops and all musicians and vocalists just endlessly overplaying/overvocalising all over each other. Feels like no one is listening to each other at all. Clearly very talented but for me it's near unlistenable.

I'm more than happy to be challenged by any fans of the above (ie "what you gotta do is listen to this first, then this makes sense" etc), as I WANT to like all of the artists above.

I’m with you on the Nick Cave thing, never understood the blind adoration. Also, I love Country/Americana but Gram Parsons leave me cold.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'll make a confession. All the artists on my list I have heard and dislike apart from two. These two have names I dislike and when I have seen clips I haven't liked the look of them. As in the tradition of this thread, no special reason, no explanation. But I have never actually heard either. 'SFA', as they are affectionately not known, are one. The other is Biffy Clyro. Just typing the latter sets my teeth on edge. And edgy teeth is low on my list of dental aspirations.

:lolol:

Well, in the case of one of those bands (affectionally known as SFA) you have missed out on a superb career of magnificence.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Somebody else has already mentioned Diana Ross on here. I totally agree.

But my main reason for seeking out this thread again was James Taylor. He was enormously popular during my student years - early to mid 70s - and I couldn’t stand his voice. If I had him reassuring me “you’ve got a friend” with that dreary monotone drone, I think it might make me suicidal. I saw on YouTube yesterday him singing a couple of verses of the Boxer in a tribute concert to Paul Simon. To say he murdered it would be an understatement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here