Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] It’s not you, it’s me cinematic blind spots

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Donnie Darko.

Lots of people who I generally share taste/opinions on a variety of things like or love it… I think it’s a massive steaming pile of sh|t from start to finish.

Crikey I'd forgotten about this film.

It came out when I was around 16 and most of my classmates loved it. Turned them into these faux-philosophical pillocks. "oh you just don't get it, you don't get it".

In the sea.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I (usually) dont like movies where things happen. 2 hours of people smoking and talking is great but anything goes as long as as little as possible happens.

Agree with a lot of things in this thread.. Tom Cruise, superhero movies... unbearable stuff.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Lord of the Rings, obvs. But in general most fantasy stuff with lots of fighting, and Marvel Superhero movies, and anything involving lots of car chases cause me to nod off.

Exactly the same for me, I really like stuff with depth and characters. Things exploding and fight scenes do absolutely nothing for me at all.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Bond has been rubbish post-Connery, superhero films are childish drivel (as we continue our journey to infantilise ourselves and push appalling individualist narratives that actually weaken us)

Most modern films seem colossally over-indulgent, I personally feel they should remain in the edit suite until they have a run time under 2 hours. I loathe bloat and mourn the lost art of editing.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Star Wars! Even as a nipper it did nothing for me.

At the other end of the scale if you don't think The Godfather is the greatest film of all time than you're just plain wrong!

Even Jar Jar Blinks sounded less ridiculous than Marlon Brando talking with puffed out cheeks packed with tissues.

It’s a no from me.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
LOTR films descended into one endless chase scene, punctuated by a couple of battles. Especially the Hobbit films which were effectively all the same.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think most of the films that are held up as greatest of all time

The Godfather trilogy
Citizen Kane
Pretty much every Stanley Kubrick film (Barry Lyndon was ok)
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Godfather films. They’re perfectly fine films. A little dull but that’s okay. I just don’t think they are as all powerful as is made out.

Scarface. Now that’s a bad film. Badly acted and badly produced.

Marvel superhero films. Dull as ditchwater. Like watching a computer game (not actual footage).

Woody Allen movies. Some are watchable. But funny? Not in my book.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Another vote for Star Wars.

Didn’t get it when if first came out and never bothered with the sequels.

My kids loved it (they were young when the prequels came out) and I tried again with their guidance but, nope, still don’t see what the fuss is all about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here