Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"It's not worth being in football unless you're in the premier league"?!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ask Stoke or Wigan fans if they'd prefer being where we are or where they are??

So you're saying if we were to get promoted to the Championship you wouldn't want to see us get promoted to the EPL?? Do me a favour.
West Ham were the last club outside the top flight to win a major trophy I think - the FA Cup in, what, 1980???

For that reason alone, it's worth getting to the top table - I want to see us win a trophy. If Middlesborough can get to a UEFA cup final, Portsmouth can win the FA Cup, Bolton & Leicester can win the league cup, Fulham can qualify for Europe andf THRASH Juventus, then that's what we need to aspire to. We can be as big as any of those clubs. :)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
West Ham were the last club outside the top flight to win a major trophy I think - the FA Cup in, what, 1980???

For that reason alone, it's worth getting to the top table - I want to see us win a trophy. If Middlesborough can get to a UEFA cup final, Portsmouth can win the FA Cup, Bolton & Leicester can win the league cup, Fulham can qualify for Europe andf THRASH Juventus, then that's what we need to aspire to. We can be as big as any of those clubs. :)

I don't think Portsmouth are a particularly good role model, look at them now...

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009

what about blackburn who won the title

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So you're saying if we were to get promoted to the Championship you wouldn't want to see us get promoted to the EPL?? Do me a favour.

Not if it meant ending up so completely broke and in so much debt that it sent us into a downward spiral which saw us end up being wound up.

Perhaps ask Portsmouth fans how they are enjoying the PL at present with all that's going on with their club,

I think i'd rather look forward to the occasional trips into the championship and the occasional relegation if it meant we were a solid, well ran club with no major debts hanging over us.

That way our future is assured.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think Portsmouth are a particularly good role model, look at them now...
But that's what annoys me about Portsmouth. If they don't suffer (apart from relegation, which is happening anyway) then Portsmouth's fans will still be able to point to European nights against AC Milan and that FA Cup final win (and another semi final appearance coming up).

what about blackburn who won the title
True, true. Blooms money back then would have been enough to bankroll the title. Not any more, sadly.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Not if it meant ending up so completely broke and in so much debt that it sent us into a downward spiral which saw us end up being wound up.

Perhaps ask Portsmouth fans how they are enjoying the PL at present with all that's going on with their club,

I think i'd rather look forward to the occasional trips into the championship and the occasional relegation if it meant we were a solid, well ran club with no major debts hanging over us.

That way our future is assured.

Of course not, but you don't have to end up broke. The way Portsmouth got broke was shocking mis-management and spending way beyond their means, that was their fault and nothing to do with the Premier League.

You can go up and spend within your means and have a crack at the Premier League, realistically if you go up you will struggle but look at Birmingham City, even Wolves now, it's not impossible to become competitive and I dont think either of those have risked their clubs footballing futures in the money they've spent this year.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Look at Stoke as well. They've hardly spent silly money to get where they are.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I dont think we will ever be a big enough to be a Premiership side and the fact that Falmer will only seat 22,000 would indicate that the Directors are of a like mind.
When we lost our place in the Championship I like others were not prepared to waste time or money on watching Division one football,I chose SKY to fill the time and now are quite satisfied watching European Championship and the top half of the Premiership.
If we regain our place in the Championship I will attend but it may well happen that after watching the very top teams on the box even the Championship might not ensure regular attendance

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Mike Parry is a knob of the very highest calibre. I can't listen to him on the radio any more.

Thats the opinion I have of Talksport overall. Can't listen to it anymore, other tahn the Hawksbie and Jacobs clips of the week podcasts.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I have lived in the Brighton area all my life and i have supported Brighton all my life. Talk sport and Sky Sports forget that their are 100,000s of us that dont glory hunt. To them, life doesn't matter outside of the Premier league.
Makes you sick. :falmer:

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Why is it that Premier League teams/players/managers, no matter how many trophies they have won, or how brilliantly they play the game are ALL shit scared of Kevin Davies and Rory Delap??

Its funny...I don't remember Championship teams bleating about Rory Delap every week when Stoke were climbing out of that division.
In fact, from memory, he was far less effective at that level, than he is in the Premiership.
They may not play the beautiful game but it works for them.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Personally, I'd love it, LOVE it, if we were a yo-yo club like West Brom. Regularly good enough to go up to the Prem, and sometimes just about good enough to stay there, but on the seasons where we don't and we get relegated, we remain a very good (and SOLVENT) Championship club.

Never a dull moment for the Baggies fans. Thats what I aspire to for our club.

Never thought about it like that actually, but I TOTALLY agree. They get the dual joys of the excitement of a potential last day survival and regularly being candidates for promotion. Compared to watching Wigan come 10th every season it would be far more preferable.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Personally, I'd love it, LOVE it, if we were a yo-yo club like West Brom. Regularly good enough to go up to the Prem, and sometimes just about good enough to stay there, but on the seasons where we don't and we get relegated, we remain a very good (and SOLVENT) Championship club.

Never a dull moment for the Baggies fans. Thats what I aspire to for our club.
That would do. I'd gladly let our club milk that league for all its worth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here