Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It's NOT the Amex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Peter Godfrey, now non-exec board member of the club, was instrumental in getting the US Amex mothership on board with the club when he was an Amex President overseeing operations out of Edward Street/wedding cake.

Yep - always seemed a cushty job for him as well with the ‘reward’ of a role at the club as well.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was part of the original deal with American Express - It was never intended that this was a deal to "grow the brand" or whatever, it was a demonstration on its connection with the city and community. In effect they were partnering with the 'community' rather than sponsoring a football club. That all changed over time of course but that was the genesis of it.

Fair enough. I'm certainly not going to stamp my little feet and have a hissy fit over the word. When we were fighting for 'Falmer' the question of corporate sponsorship came up and we all accepted that, as is the way with new stadiums (stadia?) it would have to have a corporate sponsor name. (It was just too big a source of marketing revenue to turn down, much as we would have liked to call it just the 'New Goldstone' or something). I do remember saying that I don't care if it's called the Tampax Anasol Stadium - just get it approved and built! On balance though I'm rather glad we ended up with the sponsor we did!

From the pictures I've seen every bit of branding/sponsorship/non-Euros branding has been removed.

The triangular American Express Community Stadium logos in the corners of the roof at the ends of the east stand gone.
All the non-digital sponsorship boards on the fronts of West Upper and 1901 gone.
Blue BHAFC branding in the tunnel gone.
Amex logos on the box in SE corner gone.
Banners all around the West outer concourse gone.
And I'm pretty sure the 'Stand or Fall' on the back wall of the north stand was gone as well.

It must be part of the deal to be a host stadium and I'm sure it will all be reinstated (or replaced with new graphics) for the start of the new season.

It also explains why the pre-season fixtures are away or behind closed doors until end of the month, and probably a factor in delaying the new kit launches as the shop is Euro branded too.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Fair enough. I'm certainly not going to stamp my little feet and have a hissy fit over the word. When we were fighting for 'Falmer' the question of corporate sponsorship came up and we all accepted that, as is the way with new stadiums (stadia?) it would have to have a corporate sponsor name. (It was just too big a source of marketing revenue to turn down, much as we would have liked to call it just the 'New Goldstone' or something). I do remember saying that I don't care if it's called the Tampax Anasol Stadium - just get it approved and built! On balance though I'm rather glad we ended up with the sponsor we did!

Yeah, I think the financial context at the time had a big part to play. Credit was hard to get hold of Knight and Perry were running round trying to get the cash for the stadium so any potential sponsor had a strong hand. Agree with in that I think you lucked out to get American Express to be honest - Given Brighton's status at the time, it's hard to think that there were many companies around willing to shell out £4.5m at the front end of a 10 year deal. There are, as you point out, many worse sponsors to be attached to.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah, I think the financial context at the time had a big part to play. Credit was hard to get hold of Knight and Perry were running round trying to get the cash for the stadium so any potential sponsor had a strong hand. Agree with in that I think you lucked out to get American Express to be honest - Given Brighton's status at the time, it's hard to think that there were many companies around willing to shell out £4.5m at the front end of a 10 year deal. There are, as you point out, many worse sponsors to be attached to.

The Community aspect was very strong in the bid for planning permission. Some snobbish objectors tried to say it was only for football fans (shudders and clutches at pearls) whereas the club pointed out they wanted to benefit the whole community.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fans are going to the stadium, not just watching on TV. Haven't been for a while, but I'd wager every mention of Amex has been removed/covered.
Yet this is the BBC sport site right now:

amex.PNG

Brok

Bork. I meant Bork.
Dec 26, 2011
Maybe it can be referred to as The Amex, but not as the American Express Community Stadium?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yet this is the BBC sport site right now:

View attachment 149586

And now the commentator on the Austria/NI game has just referred to it as The Amex.

That's right. That's why I wrote...

Because everyone knows it's still called The Amex - and will be for years. It's just that the name can't be used in an official/commerical context for a few weeks.

Journalists aren't bound by those rules, in the same way you don't see © and ™ symbols in editorial.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Southern doing their best to balls it up as well judging by social media. Massive queues still at Brighton station

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
For me it is definitely the AMEX and has been an excellent marketing tool for American Express both in the UK and abroad. TBH nice to have an advertiser with a certain amount of cachet too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here