Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's not often I agree with a Tory.......

If these are genuine quotes from John Redwood then I find it absolutely staggering...

Businesses that speak out for Britain's EU membership will be punished

If they don't understand that now they will find those of us organising the 'get out' campaign will then make life difficult for them by making sure that their customers, their employees and their shareholders who disagree with them - and there will be a lot who disagree with them - will be expressing their views very forcefully and will be destablising their corporate governance.

This is absolutely crucial that these people get this. That it will be deeply disruptive to their businesses, and maybe even to their own tenure of their jobs, if a chief executive with a handful of shares thinks he can put the voice of a multi-national corporation behind a highly intense political argument in one country in which they operate.

It would be extremely foolish and we must make sure they have to pay a very dear economic and financial price were they to try that ill-judged thing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yep,that's why our economy is the fastest growing in Europe and France is now becoming the basket case...part of what keeps the French going is the C.A.P. unfair dole out ...we pay the second biggest dues to the EU and get one of the lowest returns
Clearly not working on the same economic models or cycles, so quite feasible that our economy is currently improving a bit whilst theirs is in decline.

I'd swap our last thirty years, and the socioeconomic results, for theirs any day.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If these are genuine quotes from John Redwood then I find it absolutely staggering...

Businesses that speak out for Britain's EU membership will be punished

The Chief Execs won't be too worried about Redwood when they move their Head Offices to Luxembourg. And since many of their employees and customers will be foreigners who have probably never heard of the bloke ( that tends to be the case in a multi-national, the clues in the name ), and care more about keeping the Company and it's share price stable, the last thing they'll do is what Redwood suggests - in fact they'll probably back the Chief Exec in quitting the UK altogether.

Is Redwood suggesting he'd Nationalise every firm that wanted to stay in the EU - he's even more barking than I thought. Surely one basic tenant of our democracy is that of free speech, be it corporate or individual.

What's completely laughable is that he blames Business for Norman Lamonts decision to join the ERM. Actually John, it was John Major and Douglas Hurd who made the decision to join, whilst the Foreign Exchange Traders, and George Soros's Quantum Fund in particular, sparked the run on the pound, selling their huge positions and destabilising the currency.

Bloody Bankers yet again.........

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Lord Ashcroft's latest poll...

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/09/ashcroft-national-poll-con-32-lab-32-ldem-8-ukip-17-green-4/

Con 32%, Lab 32%, LDem 8%, UKIP 17%, Green 4%

That's not good news for Labour, especially as their conference has gone. The UKIP vote is not yet enough to win any seats, except where there has been defections.

I'm not Conservative, but I still think they could do this yet. Labour just cannot get a head of steam, and the party in government often picks up in the final weeks.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Clearly not working on the same economic models or cycles, so quite feasible that our economy is currently improving a bit whilst theirs is in decline.

I'd swap our last thirty years, and the socioeconomic results, for theirs any day.
Perhaps you might...oh! it's so easy to go to France and see the rolling plains and the quaint villages...try living there...a lot of ex-pats are trying hard to get back...indeed I know two families that are desperate to get back,but France is in trouble....http://www.dw.de/france-sits-on-record-amount-of-debt/a-17531789:thumbsup:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That's not good news for Labour, especially as their conference has gone. The UKIP vote is not yet enough to win any seats, except where there has been defections.

I'm not Conservative, but I still think they could do this yet. Labour just cannot get a head of steam, and the party in government often picks up in the final weeks.

Lib Dems then ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I wasn't talking directly at him. More the supporters of the party in question. I can see how that could be misconstrued but I think we know where each other are coming from.

You don't talk directly at me, or anyone. You're far too conversational than that.
Although a member of a political party, I'm not that partisan.
But can I join you in saying that the referendum offered to the British people on electoral reform by the coalition was farcical, and constituted a non-choice; when compared to the recent Scottish independence referendum, it was also a non-event. But it is nice to know that the Tories (and their cheerleaders in the media) might suffer as a result of it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Perhaps you might...oh! it's so easy to go to France and see the rolling plains and the quaint villages...try living there...a lot of ex-pats are trying hard to get back...indeed I know two families that are desperate to get back,but France is in trouble....http://www.dw.de/france-sits-on-record-amount-of-debt/a-17531789:thumbsup:

Just a question, how does that article show much better position UK is in, compared to France? Rising debt in UK? Yep. Disappointing tax receipts in UK? Yep

D

Deleted member 22389

I have relatives in Italy and they paint an even gloomier picture. On top of the crappy economy, they are also dealing with hundreds of thousands of migrants who head in to Southern Italy.

We are actually quite shielded in the UK from what is really going on in the EU.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Surely the UKIP 17% being converted to seats ( or not ) will depend on the clustering of the UKIP votes ? The Lib Dems have had a number of MPs over the last 30 years and sometimes with mid-teen percentages. If that poll is repeated for real then I can see a hung parliament and one hell of a bun fight to be the first to build a coalition.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just a question, how does that article show much better position UK is in, compared to France? Rising debt in UK? Yep. Disappointing tax receipts in UK? Yep
Quite. The UK paying ONE BILLION POUNDS PER WEEK in debt interest is hardly a position to crow about.

As for living in France... purely on financial/material grounds there probably isn't much in it but what they have unquestionably are social and cultural advantages in spades (as a result of left leaning government and prevailing attitudes).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Britain some portray of benefits being squeezed and economic hardship is completely opposite to the view held by the thousands of migrants flocking to Calais, desperate to enter this country.

These people have an expectation they will either get work OR benefits, and they will travel through France, Spain and Italy just to have a shot of our Land Of Milk And Honey.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Don't play the race card, we've had that since 97 and look what has happened.

I was just congratulating you on getting a muslim rant into a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with it and suggesting other threads you should go for. You were mentioning religion (not race.)

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I dont understand how any of you can feel smug - all these parties are the same, ukip is for old people who know jackshit about modern life, if you vote lib dem you know jackshit about anything and if you vote labour or conservative you are voting for either higher taxes for the rich but higher benefits for the low paid or lower taxes for the rich but lower benefits for the poor - in a nutshell the people losing out really will be anyone earning between 25- 40k who wont see any increase either way but will be expected to keep either the rich or poor at the expense of their living standards.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I am, by instinct, a labour voter, however i live in East Worthing and Shoreham constituency, which, if I'm honest Labour has no chance of winning normally. Now UKIP has made the said constituency one of their top six target seats, should I carry on voting Labour, or vote for the swivel eyed loonies that are Ukip, in the hope that they can kick the Tories out, and get a Labour majority. I would have to have a couple of stiff beverages to vote for Farages right wing mob, but we live in strange times

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
2015 General Election will be one of the biggest landslide victories for Labour this country has ever seen. UKIP are soaking up all the numpty right wing votes that normally went to the Tories. I'm proper looking forward to getting our labour government back and consigning the last 4 years of Tory dictatorship to the annals of regrettable history.

I'm Afraid you could be right. Unfortunately.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Labour were generous with benefits ( probably too lenient on who got benefits but there you go), Labour spent money on women's services (refuges etc) spent money on drug rehabilitation, spent money on social services, social reform, the list goes on.

Yeah labour were generous with the money. The spent and spent and spent and spent until there wasn't any left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here