Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's Maggie Thatchers Fault

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Thatcher created a greedy and materialistic society. Times where hard in the 70's but everybody stuck together. You didn't need to own your a home or a car to have respect. We new everyone in our street, after a few years of Thatchers Tory rule that friendliness dissapeared and the neighbourhood spirit just went.
When she dies I will be going out to celebrate, growing up in Thatchers Britain as a teenager was a miserable experience.
Spot on! This is a major reason as to why we are where we are today. The culture of selfishness really got going under Thatcher. What kept me going in those awful years was the 'Albion'. My mother a 'seagull' fan died due to cut backs that delayed essential surgery 2 1/2 years. I miss her very much and have marked her support with a heritage stone at our new home. We did not have money for private health care. I was a newly qualified teacher and I arrived in a profession devastated by Thatcher. Her vindictive nature towards teachers after they labelled her 'Thatcher, Thatcher the milk snatcher' when she was education secretary in the Ted Heath administration. She had a constant battle and thought she won with the introduction of '1265'. That was the number of hours we were to work per year. She felt this was upping our hours. We used to work far beyond that particularly running sports teams after school. All that stopped and had a terrible effect on football development here. She compounded the anti football effect by making sports teams pay commercial rates for their grounds. Previously recreation grounds were maintained out of the public purse i.e the community. In education another change at the time was the dilution of exam grades. To supplement my income I marked exams papers. We were given grade boundaries. They dropped every year through those Thatcher years, this was to appease parents who felt their children should go to university. Hence the appearance of I have got 10 grade 'A s' at the end of every summer. Blair a self confessed Thatcher admirer kept this going. I left teaching in 1996 and it was still going on. Result we now import better skilled and qualified as the native population cannot do the job...brilliant!!
I don't vote conservative or Labour since those Thatcher years as neither try to bring back the community of Britain. I do however agree with the premise that 'Thatcher is to blame'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is just the start of it. The next election cant come quick enough.

did you not notice the legislation mentioned, the 2007 Serious Crime Act? is Thatcher now responsible for law Labour implemented, or the police using that law for trivial offenses? (not the worst i've seen, that would be the heckler at the Labour party conference being arrest on Anti-Terrorism charge a few years back.)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Spot on! This is a major reason as to why we are where we are today. The culture of selfishness really got going under Thatcher.

What an odd statement, in your opinion then should people have shunned the ability to own their own home, buy their own car and have or at least go after whatever they wanted to have?

Selfishness is an individuals choice, and usually taken by children who's parents haven't taught them how not to be selfish. Becuase these parents think society owes them something - and this feeling is handed down to the children.

I blame the benefit culture - when did that start?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
did you not notice the legislation mentioned, the 2007 Serious Crime Act? is Thatcher now responsible for law Labour implemented, or the police using that law for trivial offenses? (not the worst i've seen, that would be the heckler at the Labour party conference being arrest on Anti-Terrorism charge a few years back.)

Yes I did. Did you read that police have been told to infiltrate blackberry messaging? Was that Labours fault too?
Lets face it, all right wingers blame left wingers and visa versa. It just depends what reality you like to to live in.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Yes I did. Did you read that police have been told to infiltrate blackberry messaging? Was that Labours fault too?

i didnt say it was. you might like to apportion blame for something last week and 3 years ago to someone who left off office 21 years ago, i'll quite happily blame the current authorities for their actions today. (not that they can infiltrate the BBM, its a nice bit of posturing and misdirection going on there.)

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
i didnt say it was. you might like to apportion blame for something last week and 3 years ago to someone who left off office 21 years ago, i'll quite happily blame the current authorities for their actions today. (not that they can infiltrate the BBM, its a nice bit of posturing and misdirection going on there.)

Where did I mention I blamed Thatcher? No, thankfully she's nearly dead so I'm blaming the current Tories instead.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Where did I mention I blamed Thatcher? No, thankfully she's nearly dead so I'm blaming the current Tories instead.

fair point, so you did. i was confused because the point had nothing to do with the subject in hand.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
Lets face it, all right wingers blame left wingers and visa versa. It just depends what reality you like to to live in.

Not everyone plays the blame game. I piss myself laughing everytime I hear fox news or conservative home blaming a liberal media conspiracy. Same with the swizz blaming murdoch for everything. It's interesting how Blair and Brown alienated a lot of the middle class labour vote, but talking to some ex army mates of mine who wouldn't have touched labour with a bargepole 20 years ago, they now feel the defence of the realm is more secure with a labour govt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here