Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's Just Sunk In...

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Gus was an incredibly frustrating manager, and I was first in line at times to question the caution, the lack of variety in our play and the persistence with some players. But we've all (myself included) taken for granted that he actually got an awful lot of basic elements of football absolutely spot on, and up and down this country there are football teams without those. I'm talking about simply being able to defend, to have a style and a belief, to play with commitment, to have technical quality like almost no other team in this league. Apart from the utter disaster of 13/05/13, you can count on one hand the number of times we badly let ourselves down under Gus. I think we've all come to expect a certain level as though it is the norm, when actually it was incredibly high class.

Now, we're left with a manager who has no experience of England, a weakened squad at his disposal, and what looks alarmingly like a lack of money to spend. I'm not enough of an idiot to genuinely question him after two matches, we need two or three months to form any sort of definite opinion of him. But my early impression is that he doesn't fill me with any confidence, and that he has a lot of circumstances going against him that will make this a tough job this season. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm fully expecting a bottom half finish.

Eloquently put and spot on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We came FOURTH. 4th. FOURTH.

Up until the playoffs last season was absolutely BRILLIANT.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
QPR in talks to sign Scott Parker apparently - great player at this level
At this level! Why, has he broken his leg or something?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I beg to differ. We have the best squad in the division.

A decent squad has cover for every position. At present we have no left back with experience at this level and 1 decent fit striker. That my friend is not the best squad in the division. It's an accident waiting to happen unless we recruit some new players very soon.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
A decent squad has cover for every position. At present we have no left back with experience at this level and 1 decent fit striker. That my friend is not the best squad in the division. It's an accident waiting to happen unless we recruit some new players very soon.

You're not going to comment on my previous post to you about player recruitment then?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
At this level! Why, has he broken his leg or something?

OK is a good player at Premier level too, though was fading a bit for Spurs towards the back end of last season. Sorry should have said an even better player at this level than Prem level. Surely my point still stands - would be a mind blowing signing for QPR!??!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sometimes the quotes for those on your ignore list can be really helpful. So now we have the new moan angle from the misery Badger, which would be helpful, if he had ever had anything positive to say about Poyet in all the time he was here.

To describe Tuesday as hoofball, is something of an exaggeration. There was more long ball than usual, which I put down to the following;

1 Newport were very quick to close players down. I have no doubt if it had remained 11 v 11 they would have run out of steam all together.
2 10 v 11 does not always leave you with an easy option.
3 No Bridcutt to start -he is our best option for making himself available for the pass and for turning his marker.
4 Some of our players do not seem yet have full confidence in the likes of Ince and Maximenko. I am not sure if this is justified, but there is a marked reluctance to give them the ball in what could be a tight situation.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Probably going to have to agree to disagree on this one... Apologies for getting overly aggressive first of all.

It's hard to sit back and accept that the club is going backwards when all I perceive to be happening are giants steps forward... the club is so nearly at Premiership standard in terms of infrastructure and FFP, and I personally don't believe we are not ready to push on again this season despite a slow start.

Again apologies, reading that back it does make me look like a complete toby :drama:

Have another coffee before you start posting tomorrow morning Northern!:lol:
It wasn't that hard joining in and I agree with your points in your second post, I would like to see some younger players get into the team.
It must be hard to start an interesting thread on here without somebody saying it's boring but plenty seem to be joining in on this one.

Looking forward to Saturday, enjoy the season.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Have another coffee before you start posting tomorrow morning Northern!:lol:
It wasn't that hard joining in and I agree with your points in your second post, I would like to see some younger players get into the team.
It must be hard to start an interesting thread on here without somebody saying it's boring but plenty seem to be joining in on this one.

Looking forward to Saturday, enjoy the season.

Ha a second coffee it is!

This thread having started on a rather contentious note has turned into a rather intriguing thread, all types of views being put across!

Cannot wait for Saturday, nor Birmingham the week after. But I think it would be foolish to draw conclusions on Oscar prior to Christmas, despite similar philosophies to Gus he needs time to stamp his authority on the squad, let alone finding players to bring in on a shoe string budget.

Enjoy the season also :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Brilliant is performing like we did against Blackpool every game.

Obviously not possible but your way of thinking leaves no room for improvement.

No, with more money spent and more luck etc I'm sure we could go better, but considering the budget and the football played it WAS a fantastic season. No question.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You're not going to comment on my previous post to you about player recruitment then?

Yeah, at the start of last season from memory, we lined up with Bridge, TK, Bruno and Crofts all signed in the summer before the start of the season. This season we have Chicksen and Kemy, one of whom you would assume is back up. It's true most dealings are done towards the end of August but there are a dozen if not more points up for grabs by then. Don't get me wrong, i'm not all doom and gloom about the season ahead. I am 100% behind OG although I do stand by my previous views that I think experience of this league would have been a big plus. That said we have got our man and I think he will do well, although it may take some time for his style of play to reap rewards, which may mean we are playing catch up. But the way I believe this season will play out, will be much like last. Everyone will slit each others throats, so any team that can string 5 or 6 wins together will shoot up through the league....I don't blame OG for the lack of signings, I don't even blame Burke or Bloom. This summer has been a complete nightmare and it's bound to have a knock on effect....I do believe it would be in the interests of the squad/team if a few of the current first team were moved on with some new faces replacing them. My views on Poyet are well known and I'm not going to bark on about that, although I do think a starting eleven of all Poyet players/signings is not healthy moving forward for OG to stamp his mark on the side.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I'm rather happy to have the pressure of expecting to finish in the top 6 off us. We are now back to the Brighton I've always known and loved. The future for our club is really rather bright and again this makes me happy. Get behind the team through thick and thin and don't dwell on the past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here