Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's imperative that we score the first goal

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Ok it's obvious opposition teams know about us now,they've done their homework and after these 2 results,you can almost guarantee that other managers will be watching the DVD's to see what to do.

Cardiff, Birmingham and Ipswich have all come with a plan to defend,possibly nick a goal and then sit back-last night they had 10 players withe exception of Chopra every time behind the ball.

I know it sounds obvious but we need to score the first goal.Im pretty certain,75% of the time if we score the first goal at home,the floodgates will open as teams open up a little to try and equalise and we will win those games.Now I know this sounds obvious,and it's not time to panic just yet with key players returning, but we don't seem to go out with that mindset.It all seems too casual and slow the last 2 games with no real urgency(ok first few mins last night we started well).

Albion have the potential and attacking ability to score multiple goals every game,especially at home.However for that to happen,the bottom line,have to score first.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
scoring more, also a bonus.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
You both make excellent points-and my point is,both are much more likely to happen if we score first as it throws the opposition game plan out the window.Thier approach of let's sit back a bit,try and counter disappears as yet have to commit forward to equalise-leaving it open to murder them.However they score first,they will every time whack every player in the park behind the ball and crowd out our little passing moves.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
There was to big a gap between defenders and midfield last night, like you say they camped in their own half and left AEA to carry the ball forward. They let him run into their half and when the play broke down they countered quickly. We have to move the ball much quicker and some of the midfield players are going to have to come closer to the defenders and pick the ball up. If teams are going to sit back, then we need a play maker to open them up. CMS has really good movement, he pulls defenders all over the place and that what we have missed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think some of the replies to [MENTION=13434]Dalos[/MENTION] are facetious and that he makes a good point. Obviously scoring is good, but the point being made is that if we are picked off early on, we struggle to break them down to equalise.

Our game has always been about patiently probing until eventually taking advantage of tired opposition, but perhaps it is time for a rethink if we are not going to start at a high tempo and pull them out of position from the off.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think some of the replies to [MENTION=13434]Dalos[/MENTION] are facetious and that he makes a good point. Obviously scoring is good, but the point being made is that if we are picked off early on, we struggle to break them down to equalise.

Our game has always been about patiently probing until eventually taking advantage of tired opposition, but perhaps it is time for a rethink if we are not going to start at a high tempo and pull them out of position from the off.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Just had a quick look on BBC website.Since October last year every time we have failed to score first,we have failed to go on to win the game.

Last season
West Ham-lost 1 nil
Burnley-lost 1 nil
Millwall-drew 2-2
Cardiff-Drew 2-2
Middlesbrough -drew 1-1
Reading- lost 1 nil
Watford-drew 2-2
Birmingham-drew 1-1

This season
Birmingham-lost 1 nil
Ipswich - drew 1-1

So that's 100 per cent of games since oct 2011,where if we go 1 down at home,we fail to take all points.

Turn it around,and every game since Oct 2011 where we have scored first we have won.Think therefore my statement that's it's imperative to score first is a valid one.We simply do not win if we concede first

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just had a quick look on BBC website.Since October last year every time we have failed to score first,we have failed to go on to win the game.

Last season
West Ham-lost 1 nil
Burnley-lost 1 nil
Millwall-drew 2-2
Cardiff-Drew 2-2
Middlesbrough -drew 1-1
Reading- lost 1 nil
Watford-drew 2-2
Birmingham-drew 1-1

This season
Birmingham-lost 1 nil
Ipswich - drew 1-1

So that's 100 per cent of games since oct 2011,where if we go 1 down at home,we fail to take all points.

Turn it around,and every game since Oct 2011 where we have scored first we have won.Think therefore my statement that's it's imperative to score first is a valid one.We simply do not win if we concede first

Wasn't the Donny game the only time we have come back from one down to win at the Amex ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I actually thought last night, that for the first 12 mins or so we did start off at as high a temp as I've seen this season at least, and really got at Ipswich. For some reason thereafter it all went wrong, passes went astray and the confidence drained.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Oh defo, and if Kaz had scored at the end of that very good attacking move,I reckon and the stats back it,we would have won, and even more so won convincingly.

This isn't a moan at all and I'm sure the players do obviously try to score first but these figures don't lie-Apart from Donnie,we lack the ability to bounce back and win games it seems

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We have NO IDEA what to do when we go behind. Any thoughts, anyone?

Fortunately we are probably the best side in the league WHEN we score FIRST.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Ok it's obvious opposition teams know about us now,they've done their homework and after these 2 results,you can almost guarantee that other managers will be watching the DVD's to see what to do.

Cardiff, Birmingham and Ipswich have all come with a plan to defend,possibly nick a goal and then sit back-last night they had 10 players withe exception of Chopra every time behind the ball.

I know it sounds obvious but we need to score the first goal.Im pretty certain,75% of the time if we score the first goal at home,the floodgates will open as teams open up a little to try and equalise and we will win those games.Now I know this sounds obvious,and it's not time to panic just yet with key players returning, but we don't seem to go out with that mindset.It all seems too casual and slow the last 2 games with no real urgency(ok first few mins last night we started well).

Albion have the potential and attacking ability to score multiple goals every game,especially at home.However for that to happen,the bottom line,have to score first.

This is the exact point said last night by Gus and Andy Naylor

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I KLL had put that chance away in the first few mins we would have won by loads last night. We must start fast and get the early goal, or else we need Bruno and CMS to open up the way through as no one else seems to be able to do it just now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here