Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's FRIDAY and hereeeeeeee's HARTTTTTTTTY !!!!!!

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Anyone reading that straight off without knowing the background would be drawn to the conclusion that what happened with Archer is happening again under Bloom (or at least something similar). Whether Harty thinks that or not, that's what a new reader would make of it.

This board has been awash with stories about what is wrong at The Amex ever since we moved in. You name it, there's been a thread about it (within reason). Look at any other club, higher or lower, and there are people saying the same about their team. Nobody in sport is really happy with where their team is - possibly with the exception of those at the top of the leagues. All sport is full of teams having good or bad seasons and that's why we love it - nobody can predict where it will end up (unless you're a Blackpool fan). Sure we've gone backwards this year, but that was mainly because we went so far forward the last two years. I don't think this has anything to do with Bloom losing the plot - more that we're in a trough at the moment as the players aren't delivering what they're capable of. We will improve though.

Good post and almost agree 100%. I know Harty very well and do not agree with him, but feel sorry for the abuse he suffered from some idiots on here. He has an opinion, like we all do. The only thing 'wrong' at the Albion, IMHO, is that we are not winning games ?, do you think people would be moaning if we were top 6, of course not. We have built a wonderful infrastructure for the future, probably one of the best in the country, this has cost more than they budgeted for, simple. Barber and Bloom are no Archer and Belotti, I know that and whilst I do not agree with all their actions and decisions, but they have the club at heart and I think if we have this conversation in 5 years time, think lots of people on here might have egg of their faces. In fact I have had a large bet with a Palace friend of mine that we will be at least one division above them, based on the fact that they are not investing in the future, but spending the sky money on players, of course they have to, but think this will come back to bite them in a few years time. In summary, think we will have to wait for a few years and if some of the JCL's don't like that, then they don't have to come, I will not for one will not miss their constant moaning about the state of the club and that includes Harty's comments, which I feel comes from the heart as well and he has the vehicle to be a little controversial on the massive media that is the Worthing Herald.

Alarming levels of megalomania :ohmy:

"It’s quite simple, I, like many other Albion fans, feel something is currently seriously flawed at the club. Raising my concerns publicly, as I did back in 1995 over Archer and co, is far better than saying nothing and then, when or if it all implodes at the Amex, thinking could I have done something more."

It's patently obvious that the Albion's current business model is unsustainable. Even with (until fairly recently) a nearly-full stadium, huge numbers of STs stuffing their faces with pies and pints and a comparatively modest wage bill, the club is still losing money hand over fist. The only thing any of us, Harty included, 'could have done more', is consume more pies and pints and buy more crap out the club shop. And with the attendances falling away dramatically now, even that wouldn't help, if indeed it ever could. From here on in, its going to need a massive further investment on the playing side to reverse the downward spiral. There is no alternative. As things stand, the implosion is already under way. And no, we can't do more.
... And, more to the point, there is nobody at the Club, from Tony Bloom downwards, who is addressing these concerns. "Trust me, I have decided what needs to be done" isn't a convincing argument, Mr Bloom.

But Harty's invocation of the struggle against Archer is entirely unhelpful and misguided.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
... And, more to the point, there is nobody at the Club, from Tony Bloom downwards, who is addressing these concerns. "Trust me, I have decided what needs to be done" isn't a convincing argument, Mr Bloom.

But Harty's invocation of the struggle against Archer is entirely unhelpful and misguided.

Whilst I agree with the thrust of your point, nobody muttering about the negative state of the club seems prepared to voice an opinion on what the actual problem is. Is it the cost of the season tickets or pies? It can't be that, or people wouldn't buy them. Is it the state of the team? Hmmm, maybe, but we have just reached the play-offs in successive years. Is it the happy clappy culture and overzealous stewards? Seems a trivial gripe.

So what is it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I agree with the thrust of your point, nobody muttering about the negative state of the club seems prepared to voice an opinion on what the actual problem is. Is it the cost of the season tickets or pies? It can't be that, or people wouldn't buy them. Is it the state of the team? Hmmm, maybe, but we have just reached the play-offs in successive years. Is it the happy clappy culture and overzealous stewards? Seems a trivial gripe.

So what is it?

Failure to invest in the playing side to a competitive level, pure and simple.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Possibly, but it's not like we've put up with decades of chronic under-investment. And it's not like our P & L is any sort of secret either. Everyone seems to have a good idea of how to spend someone else's money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, thats a minute of my life I'll never get back. Badly written (he's been abused for suggesting that England play in the Charity Shield?) and with nothing new to say - except to pompously dictate to everyone that he's decided the debate is over.

What a waste of column space.

So what is it?
Good question. I don't know what the answer is.

I do think, however, that Tony Bloom's recent interviews haven't helped. He is aware, surely, of the mutterings, but all he has said in response is "Trust me". For obvious reasons, people are very inclined to do just that. But there is no sense that anyone at the Club is taking responsibility for dealing with the mutterings.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

TB says that the current squad are, together, on the highest wages of any Brighton squad ever. That means we're paying the current lot more than last year's squad or the season before's. This would suggest that "investment in the playing side" isn't the root cause of our current league position...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I do think, however, that Tony Bloom's recent interviews haven't helped. He is aware, surely, of the mutterings, but all he has said in response is "Trust me". For obvious reasons, people are very inclined to do just that. But there is no sense that anyone at the Club is taking responsibility for dealing with the mutterings.
I'd be more inclined to agree with you if we were 3 or 4 years down the line. Not 3 months after a second successive championship play-off appearance, in a brand new stadium (paid for by him), where the last 4 seasons average crowds have all featured in our top ten highest averages of all time.

It doesn't seem we have a major issue here at all. Yet.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

So what is it?

This is a very good point. I feel very despondent about the albion at the moment but I cant articulate why without sounding like an ungrateful whining imbecile

I dont enjoy the football now but that's cos I've been spoilt watching the Poyet era

I feel an irrational ear fizzing whenever I read an email or column from Paul Barber but I'm sure there are those on here who will say that's because I'm harking back to the bad old days of football ceo behaviour

I see the spin coming out of club mouthpieces about people I know and like and wonder when we moved into that era

So maybe I will just need to accept that I'm a dinosaur and let the world move on while I March toward extinction

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TB says that the current squad are, together, on the highest wages of any Brighton squad ever. That means we're paying the current lot more than last year's squad or the season before's. This would suggest that "investment in the playing side" isn't the root cause of our current league position...

No it wouldn't. The level of investment has to measured against the equivalent level of investment of other clubs playing at the same level shirley? Saying that spending on wages is highest in the club's history is, sadly, meaningless. The harsh truth is the club needs to spend more to remain competitive. It's not rocket economics.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very poor effort from Harty this week. Still at least Ernest's nearest and dearest can relax now as I'm sure he has his funeral costs covered now thanks to the last few weeks work.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I think his reference to Archer has been taken the wrong way. I read it - very much as I feel - that because of our past, we will inevitably be keen to step forward and speak up when we see things are wrong, rather than just assume all will be ok.

For me, the Archer days are absolutely NOT being repeated, of course they are not, nowhere close. BUT, the shadow of those days is still cast over me, and leaves me with "trust issues" when it comes to club owners. I'm jumpy and nervous, and not prepared to just assume the man in the big chair with the big bank balance will automatically make the right decisions. Pre-Archer, growing up in the Mike Bamber era, I did feel that way, but those days of innocent childhood are gone. I've seen the dark side, and it affected me for life. Going forward I cannot grant someone enough leeway that simply hearing "Trust me" soothes my nerves, and stops my mutterings.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is a very good point. I feel very despondent about the albion at the moment but I cant articulate why without sounding like an ungrateful whining imbecile
To be honest, so do I. But football is cyclical and has always been like this - you can't appreciate the good times without going through the bad.

It's just that when we're on a downward slope, it doesn't mean there is anything fundamentally rotten at the club. Yes Bloom will have to learn that "trust me *taps nose*" won't cut it, and Trevor Burke doesn't appear to be terribly successful, and CMS has represented piss poor value for money on the pitch, but it won't always be like this.

That's what makes Harty sound such a bellend when he invokes memories of the days of Archer. It's the Albion equivalent of Godwin's Law. Just f**king leave it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No it wouldn't. The level of investment has to measured against the equivalent level of investment of other clubs playing at the same level shirley? Saying that spending on wages is highest in the club's history is, sadly, meaningless. The harsh truth is the club needs to spend more to remain competitive. It's not rocket economics.

Well, the wages were high enough two seasons ago to get us to 4th, and high enough last season for 6th, and this season we're told they are higher than for both those seasons. So for your point to be valid, at least 12 clubs must be paying much more for their squads this season than they did last. My guess is that they can't all be doing so.

To me, it's much more likely that our current lowly position is due to some combination of poor recruitment, poor tactics, poor coaching &/or bad luck than a lack of investment, be it absolute or relative.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I feel slightly uneasy that Tony Bloom spends so much time in Australia, although we are reassured that Barber in in charge. Has Paul Barber said 'trust me'? I know in these days of the internet & Skype that communications are almost instant, but are all communications getting through?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here