Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's a sparse crowd here tonight . I'd say 16000 or less through the turnstile .

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

The 16k midweek/25k Saturday game attendance ratio is no different to the 5k/7k ratio we used to get at Withdean so as others have said, it's really not that worrying.

Carry on captain NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT:facepalm:

Attachments

• SINKING.jpg
    SINKING.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 368

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Who are "they"?

Why is it funny that our mid-week attendances are on the slide?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Does anyone know what percentage of our season ticket holders are children, out of interest? I'd assume there are significantly more- both as a percentage and overall than at Withdean or even the Goldstone.

Reason for asking: I know of several friends who have STs with their families but who won't bring kids to midweek games because they'd simply get back too late with school the next day. Waiting for a train, or even the coach journey (these guys live in Horsham and Worthing) means they don't get home until half ten or eleven. Which is a bit much for a couple of eight year olds & a five year old, much as they're Albion crazy.

The club have done so much to get kids involved- perhaps it's inevitable that midweek games will see such a dent in the figures, because children make up a greater proportion of the Albion's weekend crowd than they used to.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
True. Crystal Palace allow adults to use junior STs for midweek matches. Just saying.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Does anyone know what percentage of our season ticket holders are children, out of interest? I'd assume there are significantly more- both as a percentage and overall than at Withdean or even the Goldstone.

A side comment but new commercial boss Paul Beirne said this in a recent interview.

"Other little things that surprised and impressed me [on coming to work for the Albion]
- The number of women and children at our matches. We still have work to do but I really love the important role that football plays in some families across generations."
via
http://notworththat.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/paul-beirne-from-the-nhl-nba-and-mls-to-bhafc/

When my youngest was 7 or 8 i did bring him to evening matches but my Mrs ChaileyJem was not best pleased. Sure plenty choose not to do the same.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who are "they"?

Why is it funny that our mid-week attendances are on the slide?

Why don't you ask the thousands that burst out laughing on Tueday night? Maybe if the club announced attendances rather than tickets sold, it would be better.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Reason for asking: I know of several friends who have STs with their families but who won't bring kids to midweek games because they'd simply get back too late with school the next day. Waiting for a train, or even the coach journey (these guys live in Horsham and Worthing) means they don't get home until half ten or eleven. Which is a bit much for a couple of eight year olds & a five year old, much as they're Albion crazy.

The club have done so much to get kids involved- perhaps it's inevitable that midweek games will see such a dent in the figures, because children make up a greater proportion of the Albion's weekend crowd than they used to.

All this is true.

However the attendance on Tuesday was markedly down on other league home midweek games that I remember, as witnessed by [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] being able to retrieve cider from the WSU concourse bar in about 2 minutes around 7:25.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
A side comment but new commercial boss Paul Beirne said this in a recent interview.

"Other little things that surprised and impressed me [on coming to work for the Albion]
- The number of women and children at our matches. We still have work to do but I really love the important role that football plays in some families across generations."
via
http://notworththat.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/paul-beirne-from-the-nhl-nba-and-mls-to-bhafc/

When my youngest was 7 or 8 i did bring him to evening matches but my Mrs ChaileyJem was not best pleased. Sure plenty choose not to do the same.

I'd be interested to know how many season tickets are held by kids. A mate (plus one kid U18) and I (plus 2 kids U18) don't take the young ones to midweek games (unless they are in school holidays).

I have another friend who has two kids' STs. He was away on business so didn't go to the match (nor did his kids).

I have two other friends who have STs in the family stand with four kids between them and they didn't take the young ones either.

I have another friend who is an ST holder and lives in London but doesn't bring his youngster to midweek games.

So, out of 16 STs, five were used.

And the away support accounted for only 160-odd.

In the circumstances, I'd say 16,133 is pretty good...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Well, for starters, 66.6% of my three tickets are kids. Neither were there on Tuesday, and there is scarcely a more committed Albion fan to be found, than my oldest. It was simply not POSSIBLE to get him there after college (in Winchester) and nor was it acceptable to get him home at midnight for a 6.30 start on Wednesday.

Of course if the team were flying up at the top of the table, there is a chance that tickets like these would get upgraded for keen mates, etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is a really interesting marketing idea. I can't immediately think of a downside.

PG

Lost revenue.

Who is going to buy a match ticket for an evening game (there must be some sold) if there are 2000 or so unused kid's tickets that will admit them for free? Everyone would know someone who could match them up with a spare. I have two for every midweek evening game, for example.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am sure they are looking at the impact and potential outcomes but I would hope they were spending a bit more time on the cause.

The fact is the real thing that guarantees bums on seats is the product on the pitch which at present is far inferior to what has been served up since the pre amex promotion season and why attendances are tumbling (ticket sales and actuals)

We have taken a backwards step this season and fans are voting with their feet. Whilst of course the club will share the concern you can't really be that surprised supporters are commenting on it given the benchmark of the previous amex season attendances

I am a bit worried given we are already struggling with FFP and we need every pound we can squeeze out of a match day. I trust the club to turn it around and we all want to see a return to a stadium packed with people watching a highly competitive and entertaining side

That's a very good post. The impact on FFP is I suspect limited at the moment because ticket sales are not that far down. However the catering side income must be loads down on previous seasons with less customers to buy and it would seem those in the stadium possibly buying less for all the known reasons.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Lost revenue.

Who is going to buy a match ticket for an evening game (there must be some sold) if there are 2000 or so unused kid's tickets that will admit them for free? Everyone would know someone who could match them up with a spare. I have two for every midweek evening game, for example.

I think the lost revenue would be minimal. Everyone in your position would know someone who they could bring for free - I suspect the reverse doesn't apply, many Albion fans won't know people with spare kids tickets.

Truth is we are selling very few match tickets for evening games anyway. And the additional stadium spend would probably outweigh that. But the real benefit would be discouraging those with kids who I fear will give up STs next season: if they know they can bring a mate for free (who'll no doubt buy them a beer or 2) then it's a reason to keep it. It's must be a hassle to sort out upgrades and not much cheaper than a full price ticket - at least that's what friends who are in your position tell me?

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here