Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It will be Oscar or Sherwood

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He may have coached at Barca but he's never got anywhere near Lionel, Andres and Carles. Don't try and make out he's coming straight from one of the best teams in Europe. He was a youth coach. As for his stint in Israel, he was managing the country's biggest club and it's hardly a beacon of quality and competitive football.

I've nothing against him and I'll give him a chance. I'd also take him over Tim Sherwood EVERY day of the week. But the way most people on this site are going on it's like we're about to snap up Guardiola. He is a MASSIVE risk, let's not try and pretend otherwise.

And no, I wouldn't prefer Harry!

Poyet was a MASSIVE risk, and that went very well for 3 years.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm leaning towards the idea that Sherwood won't be heading this way, but I find the completely negative attitude towards him on here slightly baffling. Okay, he hasn't been a manager before - and neither had Gus - but he's technical co-ordinator at Tottenham, who are reasonably well-known for an attacking style of football. Both Harry Redknapp and Daniel Levy rate him highly as a coach. As a player, he was twice promoted from the division we're in now, and there was the small matter of captaining a Premier League-winning team.

And we haven't done too badly when managed by former Tottenham midfield players ...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I'm leaning towards the idea that Sherwood won't be heading this way, but I find the completely negative attitude towards him on here slightly baffling. Okay, he hasn't been a manager before - and neither had Gus - but he's technical co-ordinator at Tottenham, who are reasonably well-known for an attacking style of football. Both Harry Redknapp and Daniel Levy rate him highly as a coach. As a player, he was twice promoted from the division we're in now, and there was the small matter of captaining a Premier League-winning team.

And we haven't done too badly when managed by former Tottenham midfield players ...

Agree. I thonk its more to do with the fact that he just doesn't sound that cool as an option.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Dean Wilkins is well regarded as a coach...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It is one thing taking a risk when you are fourth-bottom of League One, it is quite another when you are fourth-top of the Championship. There is an awful lot more to lose this time, which is why such a huge risk doesn't sit well with me.

Yes arguably the risk of getting it wrong at the bottom end of Div 1 with relegation to the basement with Falmer on the horizon was a far BIGGER risk. You need to get some perspective.

dazzalewis1968

May 22, 2008
My brother is a Maccabi Tel aviv season ticket holder and said Oscar
is a top manager with a nice style of football on par with Gus,will he be better then Gus only
Time will tell.
Big shoes to fill,though no manager is bigger then the club.

Graymac

May 1, 2013
Isle of wight
At least Oscar is a coach which will sit well with Bloom, the last thing we need is another manager with a big ego making
Unrealistic demands of the club.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Oscar would be far more of a guarantor of fine tuning Brighton's current template for playing football that they have become accustomed to playing under Poyet, bearing in mind his background at Barcelona. Sherwood would be more of an unknown quantity, but he is more likely to revert to a more 'Anglo Saxon' style of play. Oscar would be a far better fit for Brighton considering where they are now than what Sherwood would be, I feel.

you mean the style that might just get you promoted ? serious question-why are you all so excited about someone who youve never heard of- my opnion will count for nothing on here but i honestly think you need a proven british manager to get out of the championship playing a british style game - do you think that the desire to continue to play poyets style will limit your choices and chances when you appoint a manager - is it a case of it would take too many changes now to fit some very good managers that are available- i understand your club want to play entertaining football and i understand how close you were to getting to wembley but you were quite easy to suss out-neither of the promoted teams were so predictable and were able to mix things up a bit and you were a bit one dimensional

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sherwood just seems like too much of a 'Hinshelwood appointment' to me.

If we are not going with Oscar, we should really be looking at Rangnick I think.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
you mean the style that might just get you promoted ? serious question-why are you all so excited about someone who youve never heard of- my opnion will count for nothing on here but i honestly think you need a proven british manager to get out of the championship playing a british style game - do you think that the desire to continue to play poyets style will limit your choices and chances when you appoint a manager - is it a case of it would take too many changes now to fit some very good managers that are available- i understand your club want to play entertaining football and i understand how close you were to getting to wembley but you were quite easy to suss out-neither of the promoted teams were so predictable and were able to mix things up a bit and you were a bit one dimensional

yeah we were easy to suss out cos Poyet had no plan B. something most of us have been pointing out for a season or two. However i would rather try to play attractive football and stay in the Championship than appoint one of your 'very good managers that are available'

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We are comparatively new at trying to get out of this division. Yes Gus' style had faults and we weren't quite good enough. However when the dust has settled Gus will be remembered for the style of football he brought to this club and the complete transformation in the way we played. To bin it all and appoint a Holloway type would not sit well with me. We were a joy to watch at times, incredibly frustrating at others but we improved year on year and I'm happy to wait whilst it is fine tuned. When/if we do go up we should adapt much more easily to the Premier League than most promoted teams and hopefully not be whipping boys from day one.

The excitement over Oscar, I imagine, is because he is likely to continue playing the Gus way. This is REALLY important to a large number of BHA fans I think. It's a gamble but so was Poyet. Whether we get him or not is another thing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Any palace fan worth their salt would want us to appoint the WORST manager possible, and not employ a good one.

So any palace views about not appointing Oscar should be taken as a ringing endorsement :lolol:

Dandyman

In London village.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here