Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"It Was Alright in the 1970's" 10pm - Channel 4

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Charlie Williams, not Griffiths me old flower. Previous to being a stand up he was a centre half for Doncaster. As this was in the 1950s he was a bit of a trailblazer in more than one field. He's still a bit of a cult hero at Donny. I saw him interviewed a couple of years before his death on a programme which gave the space for context which this programme was missing.

Yes of course..Charlie Williams. My memory is going! On the programme " the comedians" I used to love his humour.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I watched the first episode and thought it was very interesting, have Skyplussed the second. I was born in 1968 so this series reminds me of TV when I was a kid.

I think people watching this show have to remember the context - it was a different world back then, before computers when the work was more manual and there were a lot less women in the workplace. The pill had sexually liberated women and the 'free love' of the recent hippy era had permeated the culture in a country, while the migrants of the 50s and 60s were still first generation and grateful just to be here, never mind making themselves heard. That all came with the Brixton Riots in 1981 and things began to change after that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here