Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is YOUR livelihood threatened by Coronavirus (almost certainly a depressing thread)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yes, my major contractor waits for funds to be sent from Asia to pay for the projects we are working on.
They are already starting to drag their feet. The handyman buisiness I started 2 years ago was doing great and really built up momentum, then I was given this opportunity as a sub contractor, which made me put all other work on the back burner. The money was too good to turn down and it gradually took over as my main income scource. That is now in peril and I may have to go back to being a handyman full time.
I have no problem with this as I have already proved it can be done, I kept doing the little jobs and tried to keep regulars happy by working on the weekends, but had to turn the larger jobs away. Hated doing this as I had a feeling that at some time I would have to take a step back. This has really stuffed my year up with regard to my 60th birthday travel plans and income. I hope things get resolved soon and this can be put behind us.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
Until all live music is cancelled we still have shifts. If we can work until the end of this week then I should have enough to get by.

Was meant to start a new job in mid-April too. Not looking likely now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are now refunding more money than we are receiving, we are recompensed by the airlines and Tour Operators but we have lost all our hard earned commission. Worrying times, luckily we are reasonably cash rich at the moment, which I think is pretty unusual for most Travel firms and certainly airlines

Should we get through this I hope our customers will now see the benefit of booking with agents rather than airlines. Our customers can get through to us with minimal delay, anyone tried to get sense out of an airline or big Tour Operator in less than a few hours or days at the moment?

Fingers crossed punters will now realise the advantage of booking with agents rather than direct when the shit hits the fan, which could benefit companies like us in the long term, if they are still in business.

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Not yet but we will both from someone in the motor trade will pass it onto one of my parts delivery drivers, as well as my customers having progressively less work to do as the possibility of their customers not having as much work done on their cars.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I am very surprised and heartened to learn that anyone who works at Tesco who has to self isolate will be paid in full from day 1. Not Statutory Sick Pay, contracted pay. The extra £170m odd that they have taken in the last week as a result of panic buying helps of course.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We are now refunding more money than we are receiving, we are recompensed by the airlines and Tour Operators but we have lost all our hard earned commission. Worrying times, luckily we are reasonably cash rich at the moment, which I think is pretty unusual for most Travel firms and certainly airlines

Should we get through this I hope our customers will now see the benefit of booking with agents rather than airlines. Our customers can get through to us with minimal delay, anyone tried to get sense out of an airline or big Tour Operator in less than a few hours or days at the moment?

Fingers crossed punters will now realise the advantage of booking with agents rather than direct when the shit hits the fan, which could benefit companies like us in the long term, if they are still in business.

TUI havent said our Madeira holiday from 6th April for a week has been cancelled yet, but rumours are that it will. Also we have a couple of weeks booked in Crete in August with TUI and who knows if that will be left. Seems a bit crass me talking about holidays when people are very ill or dying, and people like yourself having such difficulties .this is not a keep calm and carry on situation.

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
Over 60 and I need to keep working for a long time. Had decided freelance remote working was the only way forward even before I was classified as vulnerable.

Have skills and qualifications. I’ll just have to get on as best as I can and hope people to read or need copy.

This is bleak.

Good luck everyone. Be well.

Author
https://SharpIan.uk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes. We sell property in rural Spain. We were just getting over Brexit and things started to pick up but now the FO has advised against travel to Spain unless essential that's going to put us on the back foot again.

Do you have a website?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
And to think a few short weeks ago people were worried with the impact of Brexit. Oh to get back to those happy days

I'm even MORE worried about the impact of Brexit after this shitshow...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

I have a holiday to florida booked for September with BA. As previously mentioned, I am out of work at the moment and my wife may/will also be out of work, as most likely all dentists will shut down. We have been trying to get through to someone at BA that can help for a couple of weeks but finally did this morning. BA have recently changed their terms and conditions where you do not have to pay in full until 3 weeks prior to the holiday and if you don't, we will just lose our deposit, which was £40 each. That is a weight off my mind.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm even MORE worried about the impact of Brexit after this shitshow...

Indeed. At least we know if there are supply issues, you can rely on selfish pricks filling up their trolleys / cars / etc with every essential under the sun.

Did a click & collect at Tesco today and some peoples orders were disgraceful

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Self-employed courier for DHL, no idea how it will effect this. Also own a pub in Central London with my brother. If we are forced to close that we are f**ked. Could probably survive up to a month, any longer and we'd be bust. Fortunately I have a bit behind me and the OH works for Wealden in housing so she'd be fine. Really feel for others who are in a much worse place than us. Very uncertain times

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I'm a freelance photographer - all my jobs have been pulled for the next month. An optimistic expectation is work starts again in 3 months. It's pretty grim.

D

Deleted member 2719

I feel for those who were just about to retire, their pension has had a 10% hammering and they will be vulnerable also.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just read every post on this thread. Some of you . . . . rather upsetting to see such challenges.

I just hope Boris has the sense to cancel Brexit 'for the time being' and focus on keeping a lot of people alive and a massive load more people with a roof over their head, ideally their own roof.

Really brings it home, some of the posts.

I'm worried about my son, who is renting, and works on the legal side of property transactions. I'm hoping his company can deploy him in a different legal section if the house market tanks. Bless him, he never txts me unless he needs a few quid, but a few days ago he txtd me to see how I was, and to urge me to not travel up to London. Made my day/week/year.

Good lad.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have a holiday to florida booked for September with BA. As previously mentioned, I am out of work at the moment and my wife may/will also be out of work, as most likely all dentists will shut down. We have been trying to get through to someone at BA that can help for a couple of weeks but finally did this morning. BA have recently changed their terms and conditions where you do not have to pay in full until 3 weeks prior to the holiday and if you don't, we will just lose our deposit, which was £40 each. That is a weight off my mind.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

We had a holiday to Crete booked with Thomas Cook which we then re-booked with BA. Mrs WS wanted me to give them all the money we got as a refund from Thomas Cook. Thankfully I decided against this and only paid the deposit. Just waiting to see when BA cancel the holiday so I can get that back as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here