Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Woke a significant factor in any upcoming General Election?

Yoda

English & European
I predidct an election in the near future where those voting will mainly be a majority of Woke versus Conspirasy thearists, fake news & misinformation on the other side.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I predidct an election in the near future where those voting will mainly be a majority of Woke versus Conspirasy thearists, fake news & misinformation on the other side.
Being nice versus being a ****? Same as it ever was.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
‘Woke’ for the Tories is now so divorced from it’s original meaning of ‘being aware’; even from how it was used in the Tory leadership contest when candidates were desperate to flaunt their ‘anti-wokeness’ at all costs. Remember Braverman attacking Mordaunt for being ‘woke’ for suggesting amendments to the Maternity Allowances Act to make it more gender neutral? Mordaunts response? Not to double down on the rights eg. for trans people’s right to self identify but to distance herself from the epithet by claiming she was a victim of a smear campaign.

’Woke’ is not only the catchall phrase for anything the Tories don’t like now; a pejorative, weaponised word that they seem to apply to anything that is not Tory policy, but this underlying demonisation of any political voice that defends the rights of weaker or more vulnerable members in our society, I find worrying.

So yes, it is still a factor and to a certain degree, probably will be by January 2025, but unless there is a GE before then, I feel we would have moved so far beyond a political discourse; where ’woke’ is just a weaponised verbal slur to the Tories, we will be living under a Tory government where injustice and discrimination run so deep; where racism, sexism, denial of climate crisis and bigotry are so entrenched in mainstream right wing thinking that, never mind being called ‘woke’, actual protest against these things will be seen as ‘extremist rants’ of disaffected ‘lefties’ and be policed as such.

How did we get to be a society where hatred of progressive and liberal thinking and simple human decency came to be centralised in political messaging and where compassion for our fellow human being and the environment is something to be ashamed of?

bristo

Apr 8, 2010
East Preston
‘Woke’ for the Tories is now so divorced from it’s original meaning of ‘being aware’; even from how it was used in the Tory leadership contest when candidates were desperate to flaunt their ‘anti-wokeness’ at all costs. Remember Braverman attacking Mordaunt for being ‘woke’ for suggesting amendments to the Maternity Allowances Act to make it more gender neutral? Mordaunts response? Not to double down on the rights eg. for trans people’s right to self identify but to distance herself from the epithet by claiming she was a victim of a smear campaign.

’Woke’ is not only the catchall phrase for anything the Tories don’t like now; a pejorative, weaponised word that they seem to apply to anything that is not Tory policy, but this underlying demonisation of any political voice that defends the rights of weaker or more vulnerable members in our society, I find worrying.

So yes, it is still a factor and to a certain degree, probably will be by January 2025, but unless there is a GE before then, I feel we would have moved so far beyond a political discourse; where ’woke’ is just a weaponised verbal slur to the Tories, we will be living under a Tory government where injustice and discrimination run so deep; where racism, sexism, denial of climate crisis and bigotry are so entrenched in mainstream right wing thinking that, never mind being called ‘woke’, actual protest against these things will be seen as ‘extremist rants’ of disaffected ‘lefties’ and be policed as such.

How did we get to be a society where hatred of progressive and liberal thinking and simple human decency came to be centralised in political messaging and where compassion for our fellow human being and the environment is something to be ashamed of?
Well said.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The next GE is gong to be ugly. However, Labour will be able to press the Tories on policy because they ducked this in 2019 making it a single issue vote 'Get Brexit Done'. Now chickens will come home to roost with the economy, strikes, cost of living crisis, NHS, housing, HS2 etc. Calling Labour woke won't touch the sides, except it will be Tories AND Reform Party saying it.
And the Express, Sun and Mail.

The Labour manifesto promise of closing non-Dom tax loopholes is going to ensure that Starmer is painted in a worse light than Corbyn ever was. Get ready for a gaslighting personal campaign against him like we’ve never seen before aimed at the cerebrally weakest in our society.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It must be a social media thing. Because the US, Spain, Hungary, France, Turkey, Netherlands, to name just a few examples have also got surprisingly sizeable movements of either fascists, barely-veiled racists, climate change deniers, you name it. Possibly a combination of nut jobs, racists emboldened by finding out there are like minded racists online, opportunist politicians and nefarious outside actors such as Putin fuelling division in true democracies. Farage wouldn’t have had success in the UK in any other modern era.

I remain optimistic. My instinct, anecdotally, is that circa 80% of Brits don’t think like Braverman or Farage.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I really do not know what Woke x generation our any of the other terms I keep hearing
And here is the rub.

“Wokeism” is absolutely a thing. But it isn’t a new thing. The PC movement was long before my time, for example, and is essentially the same thing. The difference is the internet and specifically social media.

It is no longer the intellectual elite on campuses promoting the ideas, but the power of social media with millions of people who are able to repeat and adopt them without necessarily fully understanding their meaning.

Try going on TikTok - you can find someone espousing “woke” views on practically anything. The same words constantly reappear as a mantra, words such as something being “problematic”. Translation: doesn’t align with my views.

The thing is, these are huge echo chambers. Echo chambers with minimal actual influence in the real world, because these aren’t liberal university professors trying to get dated wording in textbooks changed, for example, they are 14 year olds with very limited life experience who think they can change the world. Like we all do, at that age. The difference is they now have a voice.

But that voice is yelling into the abyss. Nobody gives a toss. They don’t have the power to vote, they don’t have the follow-through to organise real change, so I have no idea why the Daily Mail is working itself into a frenzy over this. It’s simply another scare tactic to trick old people into voting Tory.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I really do not know what Woke x generation our any of the other terms I keep hearing

Woke means not a ****.

____ generation can be used to slag off any generation you don't like. Millennial technically refers to people aged 27-42 but feel free to use it for anyone over 12. Boomers refers to those aged ~60-78 but you can apply it to anyone over 30..

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
And here is the rub.

“Wokeism” is absolutely a thing. But it isn’t a new thing. The PC movement was long before my time, for example, and is essentially the same thing. The difference is the internet and specifically social media.

It is no longer the intellectual elite on campuses promoting the ideas, but the power of social media with millions of people who are able to repeat and adopt them without necessarily fully understanding their meaning.

Try going on TikTok - you can find someone espousing “woke” views on practically anything. The same words constantly reappear as a mantra, words such as something being “problematic”. Translation: doesn’t align with my views.

The thing is, these are huge echo chambers. Echo chambers with minimal actual influence in the real world, because these aren’t liberal university professors trying to get dated wording in textbooks changed, for example, they are 14 year olds with very limited life experience who think they can change the world. Like we all do, at that age. The difference is they now have a voice.

But that voice is yelling into the abyss. Nobody gives a toss. They don’t have the power to vote, they don’t have the follow-through to organise real change, so I have no idea why the Daily Mail is working itself into a frenzy over this. It’s simply another scare tactic to trick old people into voting Tory.

What do you mean by the "PC movement"? The American right started bandying the phrase PC around in the late 20th century as a pejorative for things they didn't like. It spread to England fairly quickly went "mad" in the minds of such luminaries as Richard Littlejohn. They over-egged the pudding so needed a new mantra and woke, in its modern sense, was born.

I'm not sure it's "a thing" as such. Just a catch all for alternative views that some on the right don't like. As you say, an effective scare tactic to distract from real issues and get people to vote Tory (or worse).

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Woke means not a ****.

____ generation can be used to slag off any generation you don't like. Millennial technically refers to people aged 27-42 but feel free to use it for anyone over 12. Boomers refers to those aged ~60-78 but you can apply it to anyone over 30..
Thanks for that I a Boomer then 👍🏻 and Woke is a 4 letter word

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
And here is the rub.

Anti-wokeism’ is so weaponised now by those who seem not to give a fcuk about anyone but themselves that it not only stultifies free speech on social media but undermines actual social and political support for people that arguably need it because it literally can influence political decision-making ( as in the Penny Mordaunt example I gave above).

If ‘anti-wokeism ’ (or ‘wokeism ) was just confined to social media and put out by x generations living in echo chambers; or was just an internet phenomenon; and/or even just the lexicon of right wing popularism, then perhaps ‘anti-wokeism’ would not be so socially divisive. However, it‘s the deeply anti-democratic, underlying motives for pushing an anti-woke political agenda that we should be concerned with and which is infinitely more threatening than wokeism which it claims to combat.

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
It must be a social media thing. Because the US, Spain, Hungary, France, Turkey, Netherlands, to name just a few examples have also got surprisingly sizeable movements of either fascists, barely-veiled racists, climate change deniers, you name it. Possibly a combination of nut jobs, racists emboldened by finding out there are like minded racists online, opportunist politicians and nefarious outside actors such as Putin fuelling division in true democracies. Farage wouldn’t have had success in the UK in any other modern era.

I remain optimistic. My instinct, anecdotally, is that circa 80% of Brits don’t think like Braverman or Farage.
So everyone who disagrees with you is a ‘racist, fascist nut-job’. How very woke of you. And I’m guessing you think free speech is ‘far-right’ too

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Every racist or fascist is a tosser. As for climate change deniers, how can anyone be that thick?
I don’t like to use the word thick. I know people who are perfectly intelligent but make wrong choices as they are misinformed and don’t check check sources of information.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Anti-wokeism’ is so weaponised now by those who seem not to give a fcuk about anyone but themselves that it not only stultifies free speech on social media but undermines actual social and political support for people that arguably need it because it literally can influence political decision-making ( as in the Penny Mordaunt example I gave above).

If ‘anti-wokeism ’ (or ‘wokeism ) was just confined to social media and put out by x generations living in echo chambers; or was just an internet phenomenon; and/or even just the lexicon of right wing popularism, then perhaps ‘anti-wokeism’ would not be so socially divisive. However, it‘s the deeply anti-democratic, underlying motives for pushing an anti-woke political agenda that we should be concerned with and which is infinitely more threatening than wokeism which it claims to combat.
Like many of your posts this is just a verbal diarrhea mish mash of slogans and your own biased opinions. You'll get a few likes from people on 'your side' because of the general tone, and there won't be any dissent because most people don't have the time or inclination to pick it all apart.

The only interesting thing is your use of right wing populism in a derogatory way. Most of your speil is just left wing populism, you're literally the opposite cheek of the same arse, shouting across the hole because the other cheek has a different opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here