Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Tony Bloom our manager?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yet two of them, have walked away. Is there a pattern emerging, or are we to believe Gus would have stayed if he wasn't "sacked" and what about Oscar then walk away 12 months later..... If Sami ends up walking away at the end of the season without an explaination, will you think there is nothing up as far as the managers position at the club goes? How many more need to walk away before you think there might be an issue there?

To be honest, I can't say either way. Rumour has it Gus was hacked off he couldn't leave for the Reading job, and that he couldn't leave for the Sunderland job, or that he didn't get on with some people in the club hierarchy, or that he was unhappy with his budget etc etc. My point is, still nobody know the true reason why Gus left. It's speculation. Oscar left seemingly for very different reasons. Also speculation.

What I know for a fact is that despite of the way it ended both Oscar and Gus were successful appointments, so why would Bloom not take the same approach again?

In terms of something being "up" at the club? No, I don't think there is. Managers quit, in the words of Gus "Tha's fooball"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Two managers in 5 years really, I don't think it is fair to not include Gus's full tenure if this is being used as an example.

2 managers in about 18 months since Barber joined would be more accurate, agreed.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't buy into the idea of TB using the manager as a puppet and managing the team by proxy - if he were you'd expect a season on season improvement as he learnt the ropes and different focus with his investment in the club.

As to why we seem to have a penchant for inexperienced up and coming managers rather than experienced and proven managers at this level, my theory is that cost is a factor - would PB be happy with a manager earning more than him ???

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
2 managers in about 18 months since Barber joined would be more accurate, agreed.

Although this thread isn't about Barber, it's about the way Bloom has hired all managers.

The OP was talking about a pattern emerging whereas by conveniently emitting the full timeline does not give us a full picture of data to build a pattern from.

We could say we have employed three managers in 11 months just to make it fit an agenda, but three managers in 5 1/2 years doesn't sound that odd.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
One left under a very odd cloud that still hasn't really been explained, the other walked out to go work in a warzone, then came back to work in the Championship, but clearly didn't want anything to do with us, just a year after joining.

Something's not quite right.

Well you have alluded to knowing more about the first one than most. But I would suspect that they both walked because their perception was that the budget was not good enough. Ceiling comments from number 1 and some reports of some rather odd behaviour during the January transfer window from number 2.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I don't buy into the idea of TB using the manager as a puppet and managing the team by proxy - if he were you'd expect a season on season improvement as he learnt the ropes and different focus with his investment in the club.

As to why we seem to have a penchant for inexperienced up and coming managers rather than experienced and proven managers at this level, my theory is that cost is a factor - would PB be happy with a manager earning more than him ???

How do you know the manager, with bonuses (which makes up the bulk of PB's earnings), would not earn more than him?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
No we don't. Only those determined to take the club's side on things no matter what do. I've heard very interesting things about what happened around then - including that the "gross misconduct" charge was an utter farce.

Not surprising at all: it seemed it at the time. If only more people had had their eyes open rather than turning blind ones towards what was going on.

Anyone who's ever witnessed an unscrupulous employer cobbling together a case in order to sack an employee who's face they've decided doesn't fit could see what was afoot. And the results of that officially-sanctioned vilification of Gus have been with us ever since.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I don't 'know' what SH earns but if it is more than PB's nearly half a million then he is grossly overpaid!

Then so are the players, 8k a week average in the championship. I would imagine there are a few players who earn more than PB at the club, so why should the manager be any different? As the bulk of PB's earnings are bonuses, I'm sure any manager that gets us promoted will earn, with bonuses, significantly more than he gets.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Then so are the players, 8k a week average in the championship. I would imagine there are a few players who earn more than PB at the club, so why should the manager be any different? As the bulk of PB's earnings are bonuses, I'm sure any manager that gets us promoted will earn, with bonuses, significantly more than he gets.

Not the point being made - there are numerous examples in the commercial world where employees outside the management structure can and do earn more than the CEO - it is not common though for those in the management tree to do so.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Not the point being made - there are numerous examples in the commercial world where employees outside the management structure can and do earn more than the CEO - it is not common though for those in the management tree to do so.

You have not made a point, you asked a question. Football clubs do not appear to operate within the same commercial rules as normal businesses - if they did, there would only be about 5 left in business, so as far as I can see, anything goes. But to suggest that PB will not employ a manager who earns more than him is, in my mind, nearly as ludicrous as suggesting that TB picks the team, not least since it is the board that employs the manager, not PB.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
We're on our 3rd manager in 5 years.
Or you could say we're on our 3rd manager in 18 months and as mellotron pointed out

One left under a very odd cloud that still hasn't really been explained, the other walked out to go work in a warzone, then came back to work in the Championship, but clearly didn't want anything to do with us, just a year after joining.

Something's not quite right.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
good point , well made...jones is , in footballing terms ,a nobody.....if Sammy is going to learn anything it ain't gonna be off Nathan.
Yep Jones is defo a bloom puppet and a very inexperienced one...Flapping around shouting on matchdays doesn't make you good.Normally the ones who do that are useless as they don't walk the walk.

He's way out of his depth here and is way to inexperienced

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The thing I find hilarious is watching people call Barber and Burke every single name under the sun, yet will refuse to accept anything other than glowing praise of TB.

Who do they think installed Barber and Burke, got them to do the jobs they are doing, and has often stated how "delighted" he is with their work?
The man supports the albion and bleeds blue and white and he's spent nearly 200 million...Yes he will make mistakes,but Jesus Christ you really have lost it big time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep Jones is defo a bloom puppet and a very inexperienced one...Flapping around shouting on matchdays doesn't make you good.Normally the ones who do that are useless as they don't walk the walk.

He's way out of his depth here and is way to inexperienced

Flapping around shouting makes Jones useless, whereas most on Nsc say that Hyppia doesn't move enough. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Incidentally, when Oscar resigned he wanted to take Jonesy with him. Jonesy refused as he wanted to stay loyal to the Albion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The man supports the albion and bleeds blue and white and he's spent nearly 200 million...Yes he will make mistakes,but Jesus Christ you really have lost it big time.

Eh? Actually read what I said. Do you not see how it's hypocritical to massively slag off someone who is employed and supported by Bloom. You ARE basically slagging off Bloom if you do that.

I'm not anti-Bloom at all.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
No we don't. Only those determined to take the club's side on things no matter what do. I've heard very interesting things about what happened around then - including that the "gross misconduct" charge was an utter farce.

Yeah but if it was such a farce why did Gus drop his Tribunal claim? He said he hoped it would end up in court so the truth could come out but he ultimately decided not to pursue it and quietly accepted his dismissal. Makes you wonder.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Yeah but if it was such a farce why did Gus drop his Tribunal claim? He said he hoped it would end up in court so the truth could come out but he ultimately decided not to pursue it and quietly accepted his dismissal. Makes you wonder.
Maybe so he could take the Sunderland job. Don't know just a guess. Maybe got a big payout to keep stum. Have no idea, but his autobiography will be worth a read!!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Almost certainly because he had another - far better - job lined up and just wanted to move on, I imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here