Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this why we are crap at corners?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i recently read "The Numbers Game - Why Everything You Know About Football Is Wrong" and it talks about how it is baffling that supporters cheer the winning of corners as statistically teams score from only 2% of their corners - or once every 7 games. statistically the team is better off taking a short corner and retaining possession.

I seem to recall reading that corners leading to the attackong side having a shot is approximately 15 - 20%. One might as well just pass it about and retain possession as opposed to lumping it into the box.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It depends on who takes the corners. If its JFC then it won't beat the first man. Others are more succesfull

Sorry to moan on about this again, but if I can see his corners are crap because the position of his non-kicking foot is often wrong (too far behind the ball, making it harder to strike the bottom half of the ball and achieve elevation) then why can't the large number of coaches we seem to employ see it and do something about it?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Anyone else remember that Barry Lloyd's team, coached by Martin Hinshelwood, actually had a couple of decent corner-kick routines? One was a near-post inswinger to Kevin Bremner, and there was the one from the left that was swung out for Colin Pates, advancing, usually unmarked, from left back, to nod into the middle.

These days I seldom feel we're going to score from corners, whereas in the days of Kit Napier and later Dennis Mortimer, I always did. And yes, I was there at The Goldstone when Napier curled one straight in.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I like it when the corner-taker does the hand waving signals (which, given that all of our corner takers have, historically, had only two hands, frankly can't be that difficult for a defending side to decipher) to secretly let his team mates know what's coming.

From many years of watching the Albion, I've been able to establish that our secret code is thus:

-One hand= Straight to the first defender, cleared

-Two hands= Keeper's ball, cleared

-Mystery third signal (I haven't spotted what it is yet despite our apparently regular use of it)= Sailing over everyone's heads and out for a goal kick.

LOL!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here