Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is this the season?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Is this the season we finally take the league and FA Cup seriously and give it a good go?

Without being to presumptuous I would like to think maybe we’ve moved on from the mindset of previous seasons and the fact maintaining PL status always impacted team selection in cup games.

Under RDZ I wonder if his attitude to progress in cup competitions will be a bit different to those of Hughton and Potter historically.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Hope so but the PL fixture congestion is going to make the cup an interesting and demanding competition to make progress in this season

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think i'd want a few more wins on the board before we assumed our safety and risked full strength squads in the Cups.

Reactions: A1X

RowZ

Sep 12, 2022
Europa League is the goal......the cup competitions it's better to try out fringe players.....it's not like we will win one of them....would rather Europa group stage than win FA cup...it's not what it once was.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Throw in the half the bench to start Cup matches. I'd rather the club made Europe than reach Cup quarters or semis. Give the kids some meaningful playing time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Periid of EPL consolidation following the wholesale asset-stripping of our club a few games into the current season would seem to me to be a decent outcome that will only make us stronger. Well at least til the asset-strippers next come calling

Reactions: A1X

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
His cup record isn't great so I'm not sure he's a cup-man.

I'm thinking it will probably be as usual. He'll care little about the cup (Cabawow) that people care little about and more about the cup people care more about (the FA cup).

I think he'll take the Arsenal game as an opportunity to have a look at players who haven't played that much recently.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It seems to be an unwritten rule that you play your reserves in the early stages of the League Cup, wherever you are in the table, whoever you're playing, whatever the fixtures situation, and I don't expect anything different.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Pep at City values the League Cup. I don't see why we should be different. A major Cup win would be a big thing for the Club, as if 1983 is totally forgotten by most people here.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
His cup record isn't great so I'm not sure he's a cup-man.

I'm thinking it will probably be as usual. He'll care little about the cup (Cabawow) that people care little about and more about the cup people care more about (the FA cup).

I think he'll take the Arsenal game as an opportunity to have a look at players who haven't played that much recently.
RDZ has won the Italian equivalent of the Papa Johns Trophy and the Ukraine Super Cup - I’d say that’s a reasonable cup record

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Europa League is the goal......the cup competitions it's better to try out fringe players.....it's not like we will win one of them....would rather Europa group stage than win FA cup...it's not what it once was.
Doesn't winning the F.A cup get you a place in the Europa league and winning the league cup get you into the conference league thing?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Doesn't winning the F.A cup get you a place in the Europa league and winning the league cup get you into the conference league thing?
Yes. Our easiest route to getting into Europe is winning a cup now only 1st-5th are guaranteed places through league position. Plus a cup win would be remembered for years and while finishing 5th would be a huge achievement it doesn't come with a day out at Wembley, a trophy and a place in the history books.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I felt Potter did give the cups a good go. You’ll always get some rotation but I think he did. Would love to go on a cup run and you never know we may sneak something in the league cup at arsenal depending on the selection…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here