Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this our first choice Xl?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
and Murphy ?
and it depends on what AK they are facing. He was poor against Huddersfield and Cardiff in contrast to Sheff Weds where he was astounding.

It's true what you say about Knockaert, there are games, especially away from home, when he can go missing. Having said that, he is one of the few players we have who can literally change a game in an instant. He has to start every game for me.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
......and if so has it ever been used even for a few minutes this season:

Stockdale

Bruno Duffy Dunk Bong

Knockhaert Stephens Kayal March

Baldock Murray

I don't think it has so when it is finally available..............

I think Pocognoli is above Bong in a first choice XI now. Not sure if the manager agrees (we'll see when Bong is fully fit again) but I think he deserves to be first choice now.

I also think it is a bit simplistic to say our first choice team. I don't think you could go to Leeds with Knockaert and March on the wing. It leaves us too open. I would select Murphy or Skalak for a game like that (Skalak has the advantage of his set pieces if it's a game we might not get many chances in too).

Similarly, Murray's form away from home has not been great all season so maybe you play Hemed up front with Baldock more away from home. A lot of the rest of the team probably picks itself if all are fit.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's true what you say about Knockaert, there are games, especially away from home, when he can go missing. Having said that, he is one of the few players we have who can literally change a game in an instant. He has to start every game for me.

Exactly. And that's why he didn't go off on Sunday. In my view, he offered no more than Murphy or Skalak when the substitutions were being made and, on that basis, could easily have come off. However, you keep him on and he sets up two goals with perfect crosses and his run also leads to the first goal. Other games have been like that too e.g. Burton away (where he started the run for the penalty) and Birmingham away (where he scored the first goal).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes i would go with Bruno as he's our captain and has so much experience. But think he's struggling as of late.
Yes, sad though it is, a full back without the ability to turn quickly and outrun a winger is going to get rumbled in this league. Recent matches have revealed some weak points in our team and these need to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think Pocognoli is above Bong in a first choice XI now. Not sure if the manager agrees (we'll see when Bong is fully fit again) but I think he deserves to be first choice now.

I also think it is a bit simplistic to say our first choice team. I don't think you could go to Leeds with Knockaert and March on the wing. It leaves us too open. I would select Murphy or Skalak for a game like that (Skalak has the advantage of his set pieces if it's a game we might not get many chances in too).

Similarly, Murray's form away from home has not been great all season so maybe you play Hemed up front with Baldock more away from home. A lot of the rest of the team probably picks itself if all are fit.

Completely agree that it would be foolhardy to go to Leeds and start with two wingers on the pitch. It may well be a game that we would be happy to come away with a point from, so we could even start with an extra midfielder to shore things up. A role that Sidwell has been very good at in the past.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes, sad though it is, a full back without the ability to turn quickly and outrun a winger is going to get rumbled in this league. Recent matches have revealed some weak points in our team and these need to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Sorry, but I really don't see Bruno as a weak point in the team, and as for saying he can't outrun a winger, well I've seen him do it before this season. Choppiing and changing the team really isn't an answer to anything. Quite the reverse, we need to play as settled a side as possible,

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Completely agree that it would be foolhardy to go to Leeds and start with two wingers on the pitch. It may well be a game that we would be happy to come away with a point from, so we could even start with an extra midfielder to shore things up. A role that Sidwell has been very good at in the past.

Agreed. That would be another option. Also, once Rosenior is back, he played on the wing a couple of times last season. That would mean we could stick with 4-4-2 but remain more solid.

I'm not sure if Hughton likes three in midfield now. Don't think he's started with it this season. I think the last time we started with 4-3-3 was Cardiff away, which may explain why he is reluctant to use it again.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Bruno has only just come back from injury so is bound to be a bit rusty and has generally been outstanding this season. If Kayal recaptures his form of last season then he would be a shoe in but he isn't anywhere near that form yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here