is this old?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
During a recent password audit at Bank Of Ireland it was found
that Paddy O'Toole was using the following password:
MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofyBerlin
When asked why he had such a long password, he said:
"Oi was told it had to be at least 8 characters long and include at least one capital."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm not sure. Berlin became Germany's capital again in 1990 but the government didn't officially move there until 1999. I hope this helps. Good luck.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't actually believe that this story is true. Such an audit, would not be legal for the bank to undertake.

I hope this also, is of assistance.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I'm not sure. Berlin became Germany's capital again in 1990 but the government didn't officially move there until 1999. I hope this helps. Good luck.

But it was also the capital prior to 1945.

And the last of the eight characters to appear were Huey, Dewey, and Louie, who made their debut in 1937.

So it could be from 1937-1945.

Also, most of the characters were well past their best by 1990, so it is unlikely anyone would be bothered with them by them.

My guess is a little wartime light relief. Berlin would be in people's minds then too.

Hope that helps.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't actually believe that this story is true. Such an audit, would not be legal for the bank to undertake.

I hope this also, is of assistance.
In addition to which, I'm fairly sure most banks indicate a maximum password length in the 14-20 range.

Epic fail, Rusthall.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A Muslim was sitting next to Paddy on a plane. Paddy ordered a
whiskey. The stewardess asked the Muslim if he'd like a drink.
He replied in disgust 'I'd rather be raped by a dozen whores than let
liquor touch my lips!'
Paddy handed his drink back & said 'Me too, I didnt know we had a choice!'

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I will write to the BOI and confirm said audit actually took place

thx

Surely the Republic of Ireland must also have some form of data protection legislation in place covering its financial sector, exactly the kind of legislation which should have prevented Mr O'Toole's password from being so widely disseminated to the extent that he gets asked questions about it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
In addition to which, I'm fairly sure most banks indicate a maximum password length in the 14-20 range.

Epic fail, Rusthall.

I would have also thought they would force you to include at least numerical or special character.

I also believe that no auditing company would ask you to reveal your password.

This clearly hasn't been properly researched

Surely the Republic of Ireland must also have some form of data protection legislation in place covering its financial sector, exactly the kind of legislation which should have prevented Mr O'Toole's password from being so widely disseminated to the extent that he gets asked questions about it.

Perhaps this audit was part of a wider data security test which Mr O'Toole would have failed for giving his password out in the first place. It should say in any good data security policy that you never reveal your password when asked for it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
wtf surely no one thinks this is real? You have password policies not audits

Surely that's just semantics? As others have suggested, wouldn't an audit merely be part and parcel of any password policy? I'd leave that one to the experts. I will be.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This should help clear things up

Thanks

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
wtf surely no one thinks this is real? You have password policies not audits
double-facepalm.jpg