Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is There Anything Wrong With Doing This.......?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Froch admits to 'deliberately prolonging fight' - Yahoo! Eurosport

Former WBC Super Middleweight champion Carl Froch has admitted prolonging a title fight to enable members of his family to benefit financially.

Froch conceded he could have finished his 2005 Commonwealth title defence against Ruben Groenewald earlier than he did, but decided to keep the fight going for the purposes of bets placed by his family.

The Nottingham boxer admitted he could have finished the fight in the fourth round, but deliberately avoided doing so due to a number of bets made on it ending in the fifth.

Carl Froch said what he did was not illegal, but the British Boxing Board of Control said it would now speak to the fighter.

"I've done it more than one occasion and it was round five but that's not illegal,” he told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"I can say, 'right, I'll stop this kid in round five'. If I'm good enough to do that then fair enough.

"I don't gamble but my brothers and my friends, they did quite well off it," he said.

"I can openly say that because if I'm good enough to step on the gas in round five and force the stoppage then that's my privilege, and that's what I did in this particular fight at the Arena for the Commonwealth title defence.

"But the problem with that is I held him up in round four. He was there for the taking and I held him up, I got him with a shot, I could have ended up getting done myself in round four."

I know I'd be pissed off if I've betted on him to win in the 4th...

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
you mean like how haye obviously prolonged his fight with harrison because he bet on himself to win in the 3rd round, he also told his friends and family to bet on the 3rd...

yes it is wrong, and it ruins boxing.

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Yea i think its match fixing... he says if hes good enough to do it why not but then you can say that with snooker or any sport....

He should get a ban without a doubt... BLATANT MATCH FIXING

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's definetely wrong, and it's incredibly f***ing stupid to brag about it in an interview years later

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
That, to me, seems no different to the match fixing in cricket. Should be prosecuted, in my lowly opinion.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That, to me, seems no different to the match fixing in cricket. Should be prosecuted, in my lowly opinion.

Not a boxing fan, but I don't think there is any onus on a fighter to beat an opponent "as fast as he can" - how are you going to judge that ? Maybe he wants to go further into a fight to build up stamina. Completely different to the no-balls in cricket, in my view.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Not a boxing fan, but I don't think there is any onus on a fighter to beat an opponent "as fast as he can" - how are you going to judge that ? Maybe he wants to go further into a fight to build up stamina. Completely different to the no-balls in cricket, in my view.

I agree with you there, but if this is the case then you shouldn't be allowed to bet on it. It's no longer a "natural" result, it's almost a pre-determined result, done in this case to increase his family's wealth, not increase his stamina etc.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Deliberately pacing yourself to make a fight last longer because you have better stamina than your opponent... fine!

Saying are so much better than your opponent that could have won at anytime, but toyed with them for fun and the entertainment value... fine!

Prolonging a fight you could have won in the fourth round into the fifth because you have a bet on... is not just cheating, its fraud. Its exactly the same an insider trading in the City. Telling someone else to bet, doing it because someone in your family has bet, etc etc - all EXACTLY the same thing...Criminal activity that should be referred to the police as investigated.

If this is actually true and not just bravado and posturing then he should be banned for life and he and the family members involved should all be jailed.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I agree with you there, but if this is the case then you shouldn't be allowed to bet on it. It's no longer a "natural" result, it's almost a pre-determined result, done in this case to increase his family's wealth, not increase his stamina etc.

Fair enough - he was stupid to say that, but in my book anyone who bets on boxing deserves what they get really. No sympathy from me, unfortunately.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

You could bowl no-balls in cricket to try and intimidate the batsmen. Im sure the umpires in the England-Pakistan match where the fixing occurred said that they thought the no-balls were deliberate and that it was an attempt to unsettle the batsmen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here