Is there anyone (Brighton fan) on this board who thinks Hyppia should stay?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't like changing managers, and think too many chairmen are trigger happy.
After last week's defeat against Fulham, Bloom will give him until the end of December, and he's got to win at least two -- maybe three -- of the five games. I now think that if he makes it as far as the Millwall game and doesn't win, he'll be gone.
In other words, I moved to the fence with a short-term challenge after Fulham. Two things from today really turned it:
-- that midfield selection. Against Derby. Away.
-- implying in his post-match interview that half the players weren't up for it.

I'm of a similar mind to you...in the meantime the board can be thinking who can take over immediately and what they are going to do about supporting him with sufficient funds to buy players and not just scrounge around in the loan market (I'll exclude Bent/Bennett from that)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That is debatable, we were the most ill prepared club at the start of the season, barring Blackpool, and I was concerned before Sami even took to the dugout.

Agreed...unfortunately your view is contrary ....so you will be considered mad .deluded etc etc

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
you must have been s h I t t in g yourself when he got there then

Fortunately I chose an apathetic frame of mind for this season. Pinch of salt and all that.

The only expectations I had was a struggle. I am even on the belief that we would do well to drop down a division and rebuild the team there because it is virtually impossible to do it in the Championship. Dropping down a division could get us to the Prem quicker.

We missed the best opportunity of promotion last season when we failed to back Oscar in the transfer market and this is the price we have paid because of strict ridged rules. You cannot fail like that without expecting a backlash and this is the domino effect.

Even in the January transfer window we will be pushed for players wanting to join us because they have to believe in the ambition of the club as well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm of a similar mind to you...in the meantime the board can be thinking who can take over immediately and what they are going to do about supporting him with sufficient funds to buy players and not just scrounge around in the loan market (I'll exclude Bent/Bennett from that)

That time thing is a decent enough point, though this presupposes that they haven't been making contingency plans in the meantime. Which would be problematic.
In terms of loans, both Bennetts, Bent and -- wait for it -- Gardner are all decent as far as I'm concerned. But you look at the major surgery that's been done on our squad in the last 18 months and that provides as good an explanation as any as to where we are. Especially when you compare it with Derby's situation.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Fortunately I chose an apathetic frame of mind for this season. Pinch of salt and all that.

The only expectations I had was a struggle. I am even on the belief that we would do well to drop down a division and rebuild the team there because it is virtually impossible to do it in the Championship. Dropping down a division could get us to the Prem quicker.

We missed the best opportunity of promotion last season when we failed to back Oscar in the transfer market and this is the price we have paid because of strict ridged rules. You cannot fail like that without expecting a backlash and this is the domino effect.

Even in the January transfer window we will be pushed for players wanting to join us because they have to believe in the ambition of the club as well.

I can't see how dropping down a league heightens our chances of promotion to the premier league? Dropping down a league results in our best players leaving and if our past recruitment has anything to go by then wed more than likely struggle in league one.

I personally think Bloom is hoping for a bit of stability / mid table finish with the hope of the academy to start producing soon.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I can't see how dropping down a league heightens our chances of promotion to the premier league? Dropping down a league results in our best players leaving and if our past recruitment has anything to go by then wed more than likely struggle in league one.

I personally think Bloom is hoping for a bit of stability / mid table finish with the hope of the academy to start producing soon.

We could spend the next 4 or 5 years re-patching up the squad and struggling to be average in the Championship. Whereas in League One you can recruit young up and coming players, develop a style, and learn how to win. Bournemouth built the core of their side in L1 and it didn't do Shampton too much harm and they achieved consecutive promotions. Brentford haven't done too bad either.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We are paying the price for changing manager so often and that lack of continuity.

Changing manager is the issue, Poyet effectively left as Barber arrived - he sacked Poyet when assistant at Spurs. Oscar left due to personal issues which appeared to be due to Czech keeper we had (allegedly).

So we have a set of player scouts / recruiter looking for players that may not be what the current manager wanted.

Changing manager, in my view, will not sort this mess out we need to just bunker down, stick together and back the team as one and just hope we can survive then get back to where we were. Hearing songs about Sammi being sacked at half-time today in bar area was ill-judged in my view. There are issues far more ingrain in the culture of the club that need addressing to get all back in the right direction.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

It can be argued that going down eases pressure and allows rebuild and new momentum to build on the back of a promotion challenge,i suppose that's the theory.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Now is already too late. We didn't expect a result today, so should have got rid last week at the latest to get someone in for the more crucial Millwall game.

Hyypia not doing a thing whilst Colunga strolled off the pitch, wasting valuable time. Then saying we should score in the 89th minute to keep a lead, is evidence enough he has no passion, his heart isn't in it and he doesn't acknowledge the disastrous situation he's put our club in.

I've never wanted a manager to go so much. I've also never been so angry about where the club is going. Mismanagement of the highest order throughout the club.

This

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
Please Please Mr Bloom sack the woeful Hyppia tomorrow get Calderon in for a tempary period and think long and hard about what manager available can get us out of this mess every game longer you leave Hyppia in charge jeopardises our championship status more

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
is there anyone out there currently thinking we should give him more time?

:wave:

cant stand the modern trend with this merry go round of managers just moving about different clubs every few months because the going gets tough,mostly i think its just a piss poor defence by owners to deflect the fact the overall set up is not working.Not every team can win every week......But hey lets sack the manager......must be his fault.

There are notable cases where managers have had a torrid time their first season and been called totally clueless by the fans but things have come good when they are given time to implement their ideas.

Obviously things are not going well at the moment and IF we go down i will be seriously miffed but thats football,i would still go for giving him the full season at least.

I would rather see thread after thread of people asking how we the fans could help improve matters in our own simplistic way,im sure that would be more constructive for the players,board members and staff that we know read NSC,nowadays its far simpler and easier to be critical online as opposed to being constructive.

A wildly unfashionable viewpoint i warrant........ill get my coat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:wave:

cant stand the modern trend with this merry go round of managers just moving about different clubs every few months because the going gets tough,mostly i think its just a piss poor defence by owners to deflect the fact the overall set up is not working.Not every team can win every week......But hey lets sack the manager......must be his fault.

There are notable cases where managers have had a torrid time their first season and been called totally clueless by the fans but things have come good when they are given time to implement their ideas.
This this and

This got me to 2pm yesterday.

I always felt there was a massive disconnect between the level of incompetence prescribed to Sami on here, and the actual level of incompetence Sami was showing.
From the outside looking in it seemed to me, everyone at the club was shooting Sami in the foot.
The 3 B's and the playing staff have all, to a man, (with the possible exception of Dunk) failed Sami at some point this season.

Add to that Sami's failures too and the whole place is toxic.

Sure Sami's going to make mistakes, new manager, new squad.
Some of those mistakes, marauding full backs, he's corrected.
Some, Gardener, he hasn't (or I'm beginning to think contractually can't).

But the team, midfield, yesterday just screamed:-

I'M A MANAGER GET ME OUT OF HERE.

If he want's to leave that badly he should go.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What we need is managerial stability. Oscar did the club a massive disservice walking out. We need a manager to build a squad - in the way that Nigel Clough did at Derby.

I would love it to be Hyypia. But this Club is not in the position to be a training ground where a manager can prove himself. Poyet had learnt his trade as a No.2 (boom tish) at a number of clubs. He knew how he wanted his team to play, and how he could structure them to play it. Hyypia had one but not the experience to do the other. It is a punt that has not worked. The system has been adapted but Hyypia does not have the toolbox to make it work. How he must curse Saints and Sammy Lee.

So he can't get his system to work and hasn't the skill to adapt it.

Get managerial stability and the influence of Burke is less. I have no insight whether our recruitment policy can be made to work. But it seems a successful manager would have more say in who we go after.

Sorry to say stability is a step too far for Sami. A big appointment coming up.

I would be one to say Stay. But this race is run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports