Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there any alternative to working for the rest of my life?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Realistically, unless you're very wealthy, no.

But it all depends on what you're willing to do, how you're willing to live. You could, for instance, become a house-sitter. You ruck up somewhere like Thailand and you look after someone's house. All you have to do then is earn wages say by working in a bar. Bam. You've got free accommodation and wages coming in for very little work.

I believe there are websites for exactly this kind of thing.

A friend of mine, he posts on here, thought about doing just this recently.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Really understand this. Decided being a wage slave was not for me. So I considered my situation. Born into a working class family I could see only work ahead. I needed a plan so in my teen years I decided to work hard on my education, not easy as I had not taken it seriously at first so found myself in a Secondary Mod. Already doors had closed. On leaving school at 16 my father insisted I go to work to pay my way. This was a setback as by this time I knew I needed better qualifications. Whilst working as a nurseyman ( Sure many people are still enjoying the FRUIT of my labours) I went to College in Lewes at night. Finally I had enough money saved along with my 'A' Levels to apply to Uni. I was knocked back by a number and in one interveiw it was made clear I was from the wrong background. I only achieved an offer from Warwick before setting of on my last interveiw in Hull. It was intense taking most of the day but they felt I had the drive to succeed. I did. It set me up with the knowledge I needed. Next I set about buying a property and investing in the stockmarket. I worked as a teacher which although not the best pay gave the safety net of a pension. Luck of living through a time of major inflation helped pay off house in 8 years. Shares and property rose along with the inflated prices. At this stage money starts to make money. More property, more shares and by age 40 although still working it was now possible to be more choosy. I stopped the wage slavery at 42. So I wish everyone well in trying to gain their freedom.

Great story but why DONCASTER?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting that the Germans can have a successful economy on shorter working hours. pretty much everyone I know works more than the 40 Hours mentioned in that article.

It stands to reason if you pay people well, give them some job security and also give them more leisure time, ie give them the confidence and time to spend, the economy will benefit.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
I have ended up in Doncaster due to my son being born profoundly deaf. He wanted to attend the one fully deaf provision availiable at college standard...sadly funding cuts ended his dream early. We moved up to support him and love it. So incredibly friendly and my son has a wider social life. Bloody tiring though driving down to BHA home games good for lots of away games. Well swings and roundabouts.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Realistically, unless you're very wealthy, no.

But it all depends on what you're willing to do, how you're willing to live. You could, for instance, become a house-sitter. You ruck up somewhere like Thailand and you look after someone's house. All you have to do then is earn wages say by working in a bar. Bam. You've got free accommodation and wages coming in for very little work.

I believe there are websites for exactly this kind of thing.

A friend of mine, he posts on here, thought about doing just this recently.
Not sure the Mrs and kids would be up for this. :lolol:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Sell everything, set up a beach bar in Asia and relax.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It stands to reason if you pay people well, give them some job security and also give them more leisure time, ie give them the confidence and time to spend, the economy will benefit.

I presume all those VW Software Programmers are included in this rosy scenario? :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sweden just cut down to 6 hour working days. Sensible move I reckon.
Ah so that's what I was listening to this morning.

Swedish fella was saying they have cut out all bollox involved in work.

Work bloody hard for 3 hours, no meetings, no personal stuff, NO SOCIAL MEDIA.
Have a full 1 hour lunch, away from work/desk/emails.
Work bloody hard for a further 3 hours.
Leave.

He said it was the recipe for leaving work happy as well as arriving happy.

Sadly I don't think the English have the mentality to work bloody hard undistracted!!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Leave.

Sadly I don't think the English have the mentality to work bloody hard undistracted!!!

But at least we can count to 7....?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Should've begged, stolen and borrowed every last shekel and whacked it on Albion Calde today, Calde would NEVER let you down, you know that.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Worked bloody hard all my working life, ups and downs, a couple of redundancies 1980 & 1990, then joint owner of a company employing 200 people, sold my shares 18 months ago, working freelance 3 days a week now, 4 day weekends. Paid over 50% tax for years, plus corporation tax. In conclusion, I think you get what you put in, financially, satisfaction and quality of life, who knows. I don't have any money worries for the future, could I have done something else with my life and been happier, I think, perhaps, probably.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Apply to become a fireman at gatwick airport .

Jul 7, 2003

Leave.

If that happened it would bugger up Bozza's retirement plan as there wouldn't be anywhere near as many visitors to NSC as there are now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here