Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there any alternative to working for the rest of my life?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone on here found a job that they love? Or is it just a pipe dream?

No. I do not love my work but I do very much enjoy it. I took steps around 10 years ago to change things though. I was fed up with long commutes and the rigid 9-5 4 weeks annual holiday office thing. It's the same work but doing it in a different set-up really makes a difference.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Haha I think you right!

If you carry out some really horrific crime, something like a spree killing, get caught, get life in prison.
Now the clever bit, apparently you get to play games all day in maximum security(I read about it in The Daily Mail), and, although you won't have a wife, you will at least get to be someone else's wife.:safeway:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really enjoying my current job.....which surprises me a bit, as it's not fundamentally different to the old one in terms of scope and content

I left my previous organisation after 11 years last August, circumstances dictating that I was luckily in a position to take a few months off before deciding what to do next. After 30 years of 'playing the game' trying to climb the greasy pole of promotion, and all the complete bellendery that requires (both giving it out and receiving it, sadly) in a big organisation (and it is so draining), I went to back to work after my break with a completely different philosophy. I'm now doing what I enjoy, but without any pressure of where it might lead, how I get promoted etc etc, because I genuinely couldn't care less about that.

It was a massive change of mindset (and I don't think would have happened without a few months off to clear my head and decide) for me but has made the world of difference. I still work hard and do the best I can, but in a company of 250,000 I've recognised I'm a tiny speck. I'm obviously fortunate in that I don't need to try for 'better things' froma financial perspective (again, conscious decision to live relatively modestly etc, whereas some of those I work with, whilst of a similar age, keep upgrading houses, taking out ever bigger mortgages etc and at some point it will dawn on them that they'll be working until they are 70 just to pay their mortgage off). My work life balance is much, much better, I don't get stressed and I'm happy to tell people that I can't do things if I am too busy.

Wish I'd adopted just a bit of this type of philosophy a very long time ago.............

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
And, of course, you pretty much only see those who have eventually succeeded. For every one person who sells a business for £10-20m (where they still own enough equity to generate a truly life-changing sum of money), there are 100 more who don't. Regrettably, hard work, spotting a market, understanding how to build a business and innovation aren't enough. A chunk of luck helps too - just ask Richard Branson how he met Mike Oldfield, for example.

Wasn't it at a party? And wasn't it so happenstance that Tubular Bells even got on the soundtrack of the Exorcist in the first place?

Absolutely but they all have tales of four things that failed first.

Some of the simplest business are the most fruitful but without revealing things I shouldn't I can't really say what :-/

Most of the entrepreneurs are great people two which is heart warming.

Inherited wealth typically not so much...

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Really enjoying my current job.....which surprises me a bit, as it's not fundamentally different to the old one in terms of scope and content

I left my previous organisation after 11 years last August, circumstances dictating that I was luckily in a position to take a few months off before deciding what to do next. After 30 years of 'playing the game' trying to climb the greasy pole of promotion, and all the complete bellendery that requires (both giving it out and receiving it, sadly) in a big organisation (and it is so draining), I went to back to work after my break with a completely different philosophy. I'm now doing what I enjoy, but without any pressure of where it might lead, how I get promoted etc etc, because I genuinely couldn't care less about that.

It was a massive change of mindset (and I don't think would have happened without a few months off to clear my head and decide) for me but has made the world of difference. I still work hard and do the best I can, but in a company of 250,000 I've recognised I'm a tiny speck. I'm obviously fortunate in that I don't need to try for 'better things' froma financial perspective (again, conscious decision to live relatively modestly etc, whereas some of those I work with, whilst of a similar age, keep upgrading houses, taking out ever bigger mortgages etc and at some point it will dawn on them that they'll be working until they are 70 just to pay their mortgage off). My work life balance is much, much better, I don't get stressed and I'm happy to tell people that I can't do things if I am too busy.

Wish I'd adopted just a bit of this type of philosophy a very long time ago.............

Pretty certain you clearly used to work where I still do. It is draining isn't it?!

Always trying to stand out, without being a prick about it (rare) and then not smug if you get your rewards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Very similar to my outlook. I make my work, work for me. I've found a level I'm happy with, and I have certain work terms and conditions* I need, and I that's it from now on. I found going freelance a bit help as well. Getting out of the trad 9-5, 4 weeks holiday, 2 weeks paid sick thing really made a huge difference to my mind. It works for me and my client seems to like it as well as they know they get the hours when they need me and don't pay me when it's slack and I want to be doing other things.

* mainly flexibility and no commute.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very similar to my outlook. I make my work, work for me. I've found a level I'm happy with, and I have certain work terms and conditions* I need, and I that's it from now on. I found going freelance a bit help as well. Getting out of the trad 9-5, 4 weeks holiday, 2 weeks paid sick thing really made a huge difference to my mind. It works for me and my client seems to like it as well as they know they get the hours when they need me and don't pay me when it's slack and I want to be doing other things.

* mainly flexibility and no commute.
Yes, similar - working at home a couple of days a week was a prerequisite for me. Makes a big difference to quality of life. Commuting 2-3 days a week is fine....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Interesting observations. I've never been political in the work sense and I have spent absolutely no time trying to climb the ladder. Now and again I reflect on whether that was the right approach but, ultimately, I think it has been as I've always been true to myself. I've always been pretty well paid to a level that allows us lead a pretty comfortable life.

All that said, I'm definitely considering something else.

Ultimately it feels like where I want to be is in a position where as long as I have my MacBook Air and internet connectivity I can work, so there is no geographic ties. I think this is probably where [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] is. I'm at a stage in life where school commitments for the kids mean I could not be a true digital nomad but it would be great to know that as soon as the school Summer holidays come round we could all head off somewhere for 6 weeks, Airbnb a nice place to settle and all sample a different culture until school rolls round again.

Finally, you're quite right, saying "no" is a very important skill!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
whereas some of those I work with, whilst of a similar age, keep upgrading houses, taking out ever bigger mortgages etc and at some point it will dawn on them that they'll be working until they are 70 just to pay their mortgage off
Although I expect you're talking tongue in cheek, as I doubt they'll have been given a mortgage that lasts past they're 65, if they have a place that's a bit too expensive, they just sell it and downsize when they want to retire, having a nice fat lump sum to play with. Still, I think I prefer your choice.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
I retired at 55. Made the decision that I could live on my pension taken early rather than carry on for anther ten years or so and maybe never see retirement at all.
So I don't have the money I might have had but I have enjoyed life so much more. It's all about choices. :shrug:
Sensible decision. For one thing, it takes a few years to adjust, once you've made the decision. You might not die rich but who want to leave it all behind anyway?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Although I expect you're talking tongue in cheek, as I doubt they'll have been given a mortgage that lasts past they're 65, if they have a place that's a bit too expensive, they just sell it and downsize when they want to retire, having a nice fat lump sum to play with. Still, I think I prefer your choice.
Wasn't meant tongue in cheek at all - I know several people in their mid forties who have taken out large 20-25 year mortgages. They are low risk to the lender as typically high earnings and decent equity. I've decided I'd rather stop work earlier....and have more disposable income to fritter away now. All down to personal choice and circumstances I guess.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wasn't meant tongue in cheek at all - I know several people in their mid forties who have taken out large 20-25 year mortgages. They are low risk to the lender as typically high earnings and decent equity.
I imagine their mortgages will end when they're 65, not 70.

I've decided I'd rather stop work earlier
They could stop work early and downsize with a load of spare cash.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
If you don't mind giving up sex, then becoming a monk could be an idea?

Especially those Belgian ones who work.....brewing beer:cool:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I imagine their mortgages will end when they're 65, not 70.

They could stop work early and downsize with a load of spare cash.

Some definitely going to 70..........and agree, they can stop early and downsize, but all the time now they're having to whack a fair % of their income into debt repayment (instead of maybe enjoying life a bit more). Glad I am at least partly out of the vicious circle, but each to his own.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Inflation is inevitable in a few years. People on mortgages with rates we could only have dreamed off will be in a position to pay them off long before they're 70. All than moaning will be for nothing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough, I didn't think people in their mid forties would take out 25 year mortgages.

I took out by far the biggest mortgage I have ever had (for a 25-year term) just before my 43rd birthday. "Circumstances" as someone put it above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here