Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is there an England World Cup song?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well, is there? I haven't heard of one, not even another tedious rehash of 'Football's coming home'. Hopefully no decent musician wants to be associated with this tournament.

If there isn't one is this the first time since 1962 when we haven't had a song? No I can't list them all, but I do remember classics such as 'World Cup Willie' in 1966, and 'Back Home' in 1970. Can we suggest one? I suggest "We gotta get out of this place" by The Animals.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There won’t be one till Potter takes over. He’ll make them record one as a break out activity on Swedish Line Dancing Night.

:moo:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Well, is there? I haven't heard of one, not even another tedious rehash of 'Football's coming home'. Hopefully no decent musician wants to be associated with this tournament.

If there isn't one is this the first time since 1962 when we haven't had a song? No I can't list them all, but I do remember classics such as 'World Cup Willie' in 1966, and 'Back Home' in 1970. Can we suggest one? I suggest "We gotta get out of this place" by The Animals.
World Cup Willie was a mascot wasn't he?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Back home they'll be drinking without us
When we are far away
Back home they'll be pissed as a fart
In every game we play
They'll glug for every goal we are scoring
Out here we will play and be boring
But we'll give all we've got to give
For the drunks back home

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Yaqub The Builder!
Can he fix it?
Yaqub The Builder!
No, he died in an unfortunate stadium construction accident in 2020"

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Uncomfortable that Baddiel is going to be on Channel 4 next week highlighting how anti semitism does not get the same coverage as racism at the same time as singing a song to tie in to a World Cup being played in Qatar, a country who's government, amongst its other discriminations, let's say doesn't exactly have a spotless record on standing firm against anti-semitism.

For the sport, this World Cup has already been a disaster before a ball has been kicked. It's supposed to be a celebration for football fans all over the world. Many millions of us are not feeling at all celebratory about this one. Whatever happens on the pitch, this will be remembered for the disgraceful way it was awarded, the people who died to make it happen and the way it finally made it impossible to ignore the fact that for all it's talk of diversity and inclusion, Fifa will sell the soul of the game we love to the highest bidder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here